Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax rebate - how long does it take before they payup?

tax rebate - how long does it take before they payup?

Old Nov 26th 2004, 10:33 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default tax rebate - how long does it take before they payup?

hi guys.

well i sent off my forms (can't remember the number) before leaving the UK in september but i haven't heard anything from them yet. Any ideas how long they sit on your forms before getting off their arses and paying up? should i be getting on the phone and kicking bottom? or is 8 weeks not long enough?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Leigh
Old Nov 26th 2004, 10:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax rebate - how long does it take before they payup?

Originally Posted by scutterUK
hi guys.

well i sent off my forms (can't remember the number) before leaving the UK in september but i haven't heard anything from them yet. Any ideas how long they sit on your forms before getting off their arses and paying up? should i be getting on the phone and kicking bottom? or is 8 weeks not long enough?

Leigh
Hmm, sent my forms off abiout October 20th last year, had the rebate before Christmas, direct into my UK account..........
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:38 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We went in to the tax office signed the forms and had the cash in the bank within a fortnight. About the same time it took us to spend it in Bangkok
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cresta57
We went in to the tax office signed the forms and had the cash in the bank within a fortnight. About the same time it took us to spend it in Bangkok
LOL!
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

hi guys.

Leigh

Can I ask what forms these are for? I am hoping to leave in January, should I be seeking to get a tax rebate?
Old Nov 26th 2004, 2:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Can I ask what forms these are for? I am hoping to leave in January, should I be seeking to get a tax rebate?
Its a P85, you can get it from your local tax office or off the Inland Revenue website. You send in your P45 when you finish work. As you have been taxed as if you were going to work a full year, you should get a refund.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Stef :) is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Ours are being processed by different centres so different delays (claims made early Oct). Mine was processed within two weeks but a mistake was made with the name on the payment so refused by bank, they are now rectifying the problem but will take upto another two weeks. My husbands is still waiting to be processed.
Call them and find out, so you too can spend all your dosh in Bangkok......
Stef
Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

kakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant future

Hi

wonder if they deal with it faster if you owe the
tax man money??
Old Nov 26th 2004, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Stef :) is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kakadu chris
Hi

wonder if they deal with it faster if you owe the
tax man money??
We did mention this, they didn't think it was very funny.....
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:13 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

cheers guys.

from the sound of it the time is right to start kicking bottom. i think i'm gonna start by writing a letter, i need to post all my christmas things soon anyway so i'll send it to the folks for them to pass on (tight eh?).

chris! i thought that was funny, i bet they'd be chasing me down as we speak if i owed them the money they owe me.

cheers again!

Leigh

by the way, it's 30 degrees here today.... (sorry i had to)
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:47 am
Xoe
Bayside Resident

Xoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Just seeing how you got on here, did you ever get anything back?? Me & Hubby sent our off end of September and not a penny has been received. Getting a bit frustrated here, did you call anyone or did the money just arrive?

cheers

hi guys.

Leigh
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Both my Hubby and my tax went in towards the end of October and my hubby got his cheque at the start of December and mine? Who knows...guess its got lost in the post or something.....

Our friend in the UK, whos job is Ex-pats tax(mainly for Brits moving to the US)...she did our forms for us and sent them in. She chased them for me and was told they are running about 4 weeks behind in processing the forms right now....

Hope this helps,

Hels
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:56 am
C&V
Sydneysider

C&V is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We posted our forms before we left the UK in September 04 and never heard anything either. Although I have received my tax bill requesting payment for 03/04 by end Jan - however it's much much less than they owe me! I've a good mind not to pay it but don't think that would help me much!

Would be interested to hear if you managed to get your rebate and how you went about it as I might need to write a letter to them too.

C&V
Old Dec 29th 2004, 1:08 am
life begins again...

Originally Posted by Xoe
Hi there,

Just seeing how you got on here, did you ever get anything back?? Me & Hubby sent our off end of September and not a penny has been received. Getting a bit frustrated here, did you call anyone or did the money just arrive?

cheers
hi there.

yeah they paid up! i got 800! which was a nice christmas pressy. it was about the 2nd week in december if i remember right. maybe the 1st. I was gearing myself up to write em a snotty letter when my mam called and said the cheque had arrived.

so fingers crossed i hope you get it.

Leigh