Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax question about returning to Australia

Tax question about returning to Australia

Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough
Default Tax question about returning to Australia

Hi all,

I was in Australia in 2007 on WHV, returned to Ireland in Sep 2007 and got 175 visa in Oct 2009.

I filed returns and claimed my tax back in late 2007 after getting back to Ireland. The returns were done by a tax firm in Australia.

I will be returning to Australia in Jan 2009 and what are the chances that I must repay the tax I was refunded?

Will it be a case of "Welcome to Australia, here is your taxbill"
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Mayur is just really niceMayur is just really niceMayur is just really niceMayur is just really niceMayur is just really niceMayur is just really niceMayur is just really niceMayur is just really nice
Default Re: Tax question about returning to Australia

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Hi all,

I was in Australia in 2007 on WHV, returned to Ireland in Sep 2007 and got 175 visa in Oct 2009.

I filed returns and claimed my tax back in late 2007 after getting back to Ireland. The returns were done by a tax firm in Australia.

I will be returning to Australia in Jan 2009 and what are the chances that I must repay the tax I was refunded?

Will it be a case of "Welcome to Australia, here is your taxbill"
No you don't need to pay back any thing...you have filed the income tax returns for 2007 as per rules......you were refunded the extra amount which you had paid as the tax to govt, exceeding what you should have been...

Cheers....
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Cheers
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:12 am
ABCDiamond

I agree, there should be nothing to pay.

Most Australians get an annual tax refund anyway