Tax question

Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:47 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax question

I've just been taxed $600 odd by my bank on my interest as they didn't have my tfn.

I've now got to fill a form in to get it back.

I presume I have to declare all my interest earned at the end of the year.

Will I get taxed on it if I haven't been working or will I only get taxed on it if added to my income and how much.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:19 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question

Originally Posted by fraser
I've just been taxed $600 odd by my bank on my interest as they didn't have my tfn.

I've now got to fill a form in to get it back.

I presume I have to declare all my interest earned at the end of the year.

Will I get taxed on it if I haven't been working or will I only get taxed on it if added to my income and how much.
Hi Fraser,

At the end of the tax year you'll have to declare all of your income and you'll pay tax on the interest at your highest marginal tax rate. If you haven't been earning then you'll get a refund on any tax paid on interest.

If your bank is HSBC then they'll keep taking tax off even if you've given them your TFN. You'll phone them every month to ask why and they'll tell you it won't happen again and you should claim the tax back at year end. After about 6 months of this you'll get fed up and write a letter directly to your branch. They will fix it instantly because the branch is far less inept than head office.

Jane
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:25 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Hi Fraser,

At the end of the tax year you'll have to declare all of your income and you'll pay tax on the interest at your highest marginal tax rate. If you haven't been earning then you'll get a refund on any tax paid on interest.

If your bank is HSBC then they'll keep taking tax off even if you've given them your TFN. You'll phone them every month to ask why and they'll tell you it won't happen again and you should claim the tax back at year end. After about 6 months of this you'll get fed up and write a letter directly to your branch. They will fix it instantly because the branch is far less inept than head office.

Jane
Thanks Jane, sounds out of character for an Aussie company to mess you about
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Thanks Jane, sounds out of character for an Aussie company to mess you about
What pisses me off about the Crimminwealth bank is when it comes to tax time I have to declare the measly $20 interest but am not allowed to claim back the $250 charges
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
What pisses me off about the Crimminwealth bank is when it comes to tax time I have to declare the measly $20 interest but am not allowed to claim back the $250 charges
You can claim bank charges as a deduction if the account is an interest-bearing account. Tax pack says 'You can claim these fees where the account was held for investment purposes'.

If an account's paying interest then it's an investment in my eyes - I claim all bank charges.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:09 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
You can claim bank charges as a deduction if the account is an interest-bearing account. Tax pack says 'You can claim these fees where the account was held for investment purposes'.

If an account's paying interest then it's an investment in my eyes - I claim all bank charges.
I think you have mis-interpreted the tax pack info - I looked in to it and even rang the Tax office - if it is an account you access regularly you can't claim the charges only if it is used purely for investment purposes. My accountant didn't claim them back on this year's return.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I think you have mis-interpreted the tax pack info - I looked in to it and even rang the Tax office - if it is an account you access regularly you can't claim the charges only if it is used purely for investment purposes. My accountant didn't claim them back on this year's return.
Tax Pack quite specifically mentions Cash Management accounts as being an example of the type of account that you can claim the charges on. My CBA account is a Cash Management account - I just use it as a current account too.

Mind you - don't think I'll be calling the Tax Office for clarification - I'll stick with my understanding of Tax Pack!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

How quaint - having bank charges, I mean! <g>