A Tax Question!

Old May 10th 2002, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

a1macc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Tax Question!

I am planning on going to Australia later this year purely to activate my PR visa. I'm not sure yet when I'm going to migrate permanently.

I am aware that the Aust Tax Regs take account of your world wide earnings. Do I become liable for Aust Tax when I activate my visa, or when I later migrate?

I dont really want to be paying tax in the UK in the meantime, AND find that I am building up a debt to the Australians as well!!

Any help would be appreciated

a1
Old May 10th 2002, 11:20 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Tax Question!

Hi a1.

No, the initial visa validation visit is fine in terms of not becoming tax resident in Australia. It is only when you move to Australia with the intention of living there (ie on the day you migrate there) that you are considered to have become tax resident.

Hope this helps.
Old May 10th 2002, 3:20 pm
George Lombard

Default Re: A Tax Question!

Hi A1,

You become taxable in Australia when you become a resident or when you receive
Australian sourced income. Residence is a slippery concept but basically involves an
intention to stay and/or six months presence in Australia. Just visiting as a PR
holder does not make you liable, but if this is going to be a consuming passion
post-arrival, go to www.ato.gov.au and browse....

Cheers

George Lombard www.austimmigration.com.au

a1macc wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >I am planning on going to Australia later this year purely to activate my PR visa.
    >I'm not sure yet when I'm going to migrate permanently.
    >
    >I am aware that the Aust Tax Regs take account of your world wide earnings. Do I
    >become liable for Aust Tax when I activate my visa, or when I later migrate?
    >
    >I dont really want to be paying tax in the UK in the meantime, AND find that I am
    >building up a debt to the Australians as well!!
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated
    >
    >a1
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com