Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax Q's being a Aus resident

Tax Q's being a Aus resident

Old May 6th 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Tax Q's being a Aus resident

Have a few questions regarding tax wondered if anyone can help.
Moved here as a Aus resident Nov 2009, filled out a leaving the country form before i left and got small rebate from job, (PAYE)

Have recieved a self assessment tax form at C/o address in UK, do i need to fill this out. We rent our house out in UK, what form do i need to fill in to declare and do i just pay tax on the profit after the mortgage has been paid and agents fees etc? Also do myself and husband need to fill out seperate forms regarding this. He has his accounts done seperately for work as he is self employed.

Also finally if we buy a house in Oz and still have one in UK when we sell in UK are we liable for capital gains, how much is this??

Thanks in advance,so confusing!!
Old May 6th 2009, 5:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Q's being a Aus resident

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Have a few questions regarding tax wondered if anyone can help.
Moved here as a Aus resident Nov 2009, filled out a leaving the country form before i left and got small rebate from job, (PAYE)

Have recieved a self assessment tax form at C/o address in UK, do i need to fill this out. We rent our house out in UK, what form do i need to fill in to declare and do i just pay tax on the profit after the mortgage has been paid and agents fees etc? Also do myself and husband need to fill out seperate forms regarding this. He has his accounts done seperately for work as he is self employed.

Also finally if we buy a house in Oz and still have one in UK when we sell in UK are we liable for capital gains, how much is this??

Thanks in advance,so confusing!!
You will be liable for Australian tax on the rental income.

It is not as simple as declaring the 'profit' as you can not claim back all your mortgage payments....you can only claim for interest and expenses.

You may be able to 'use' your UK allowance and maybe some offsets.

You really need to discuss this with a tax advisor.

G
Old May 6th 2009, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Hi there,

Don't know all the answers but in terms of receiving income from your UK rented property - you need to (separately) fill out a NRL1 form and send it back to the HMRC. Unless you are making a large surplus from the monthly rent after the agents fees/mortgage etc are paid then you can generally receive that income without paying tax on it. I have also received a self assessment form in the last month and I have queried whether I need to fill it out. You can query directly via the HMRC website. I'm waiting for an answer but it's only been a couple of days and I did receive a personal acknowledgement from them so hopefully they won't be too bad.
Old May 6th 2009, 5:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamSi
Hi there,

Don't know all the answers but in terms of receiving income from your UK rented property - you need to (separately) fill out a NRL1 form and send it back to the HMRC. Unless you are making a large surplus from the monthly rent after the agents fees/mortgage etc are paid then you can generally receive that income without paying tax on it. I have also received a self assessment form in the last month and I have queried whether I need to fill it out. You can query directly via the HMRC website. I'm waiting for an answer but it's only been a couple of days and I did receive a personal acknowledgement from them so hopefully they won't be too bad.
.....but you are still liable for Australian tax if you are an Australian resident.

You may not have to pay much but you need to declare it.

G
Old May 6th 2009, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Hi there,

Don't know all the answers but in terms of receiving income from your UK rented property - you need to (separately) fill out a NRL1 form and send it back to the HMRC. Unless you are making a large surplus from the monthly rent after the agents fees/mortgage etc are paid then you can generally receive that income without paying UK tax on it. I have also received a self assessment form in the last month and I have queried whether I need to fill it out. You can query directly via the HMRC website. I'm waiting for an answer but it's only been a couple of days and I did receive a personal acknowledgement from them so hopefully they won't be too bad.
Is this better for you Grayling?
Old May 6th 2009, 6:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Is this better for you Grayling?
Yes.....we don't want any immigrants fiddling the system do we?
Old May 6th 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

We already filled out this form before leaving UK, thanks for your advice i have just got intouch with HMRC through the website. So am i right in saying if we declare this to UK Inland Rev and pay taxes to UK we don't have to pay them in Oz too?

Hi there,