Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax on offshore income for overseas resident with old TFN

Tax on offshore income for overseas resident with old TFN

Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

INDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really nice
Default Tax on offshore income for overseas resident with old TFN

I had TFN issued when I was in high school at qld. Since I have been issued with TFN, I have never received any income in oz (but receive income in my home country) and never file an oz tax return. Will the ATO billed the tax for income earned in my home country?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on offshore income for overseas resident with old TFN

Originally Posted by INDOAUS
I had TFN issued when I was in high school at qld. Since I have been issued with TFN, I have never received any income in oz (but receive income in my home country) and never file an oz tax return. Will the ATO billed the tax for income earned in my home country?
No
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

INDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No
That's a big relieve . However, I will confirm with ATO once I've arrived in OZ. Thanks again Polly.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by INDOAUS
That's a big relieve . However, I will confirm with ATO once I've arrived in OZ. Thanks again Polly.
Why do you think that the ATO would or could tax income earnt overseas while you're not living here?

If the ATO tried to tax everyone who ever had an Ausralian TFN there would be an outcry (particularly from the zillions of backpackers who worked here once).
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Why do you think that the ATO would or could tax income earnt overseas while you're not living here?

If the ATO tried to tax everyone who ever had an Ausralian TFN there would be an outcry (particularly from the zillions of backpackers who worked here once).
Exactly!
To the OP - presumably you are paying tax in the country you are living in. Why on earth would you thik the ATO would tax you again, especially on earnings that are not related to working in Australia.
If you really are worried about it, email the ATO now, why wait till you get here.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Exactly!
To the OP - presumably you are paying tax in the country you are living in. Why on earth would you thik the ATO would tax you again, especially on earnings that are not related to working in Australia.
If you really are worried about it, email the ATO now, why wait till you get here.
When I was trying to find email of ATO (I thought ATO only asist oz taxpayer that is why I waited till I get to OZ), I found an info on ATO site that non-oz resident would only be tax on their oz income. As I was a dependent of my parent student visa, I have to agree with OP.
To the OP, oz resident is tax on their world wide income and I thought I was oz resident, which apparently was not, when I acquired a TFN.
And after giving it a long thought, DIAC, in any case, would request to pay any unpaid taxes before granting the PR

Last edited by INDOAUS; Nov 2nd 2009 at 1:17 pm.