Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax Not a Question some Guidance

Tax Not a Question some Guidance

Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:58 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax Not a Question some Guidance

Ms Moon has gone for now, won't be back this tax year................. i don't think so anyway; i am trying to get to grips with her tax owed or owed us, ready for July.

We arrived early October 09, she left early March 10, okay dokay? She spent most of October here, and a bit of March 2010 here. The question states;

If you were a part-year resident, select the number of months that you were, or expect to be, a resident. Include the month that you became or stopped being a resident.

Do i put down in the online calculator 5 months or 6 months? As she became a resident and stopped being a resident in the same year. Uncommon? So two broken months in the same tax year.

Also;

Your 2008–09 taxable income (gross income less allowable deductions)

She has two deductions on her final well all payslips.

1. AP Comp Cont

2. QSuper APEC

What are they?

She has a;

Final Gross Income value,
Tax,
Untaxed Income $0,
Deductions,
Net.

In the Deductions box there is a value which relates to the same value described this paydate for AP Comp Cont value.

Cheers Keith

P.S.

AP Comp Cont is something to do with either Public Workers or Nurses, a school teacher in Sydney has it on her payslip.

PPPPPS.

Can i submit her tax return without her being here in Australia?

Last edited by Keith Moon; Mar 11th 2010 at 3:08 am.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Not a Question some Guidance

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Ms Moon has gone for now, won't be back this tax year................. i don't think so anyway; i am trying to get to grips with her tax owed or owed us, ready for July.

We arrived early October 09, she left early March 10, okay dokay? She spent most of October here, and a bit of March 2010 here. The question states;

If you were a part-year resident, select the number of months that you were, or expect to be, a resident. Include the month that you became or stopped being a resident.

Do i put down in the online calculator 5 months or 6 months? As she became a resident and stopped being a resident in the same year. Uncommon? So two broken months in the same tax year.

Also;

1. AP Comp Cont

Compulsory Contribution (Union fees maybe ? )

2. QSuper APEC

Superannuation payments

What are they?

She has a;

Tax,
Untaxed Income $0,
Deductions,
Net.

In the Deductions box there is a value which relates to the same value described this paydate for AP Comp Cont value.

Cheers Keith

P.S.

AP Comp Cont is something to do with either Public Workers or Nurses, a school teacher in Sydney has it on her payslip.

PPPPPS.

Yes you can

not exactly sure on this but if the Superannuation is $1000 or less you can make an application to have it paid back
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon

Also;

1. AP Comp Cont

2. QSuper APEC

What are they?

She has a;

Tax,
Untaxed Income $0,
Deductions,
Net.

Cheers Keith

P.S.

PPPPPS.

As you guys are intending to come back, leave the Qsuper where it is. She can continue adding to the fund when she comes back (as long its within 5 years) - if you withdraw it you will lose on it.

As for the tax return, yes, include BOTH months. From memory the actual tax return form asks for the specific day - both for tax and for medicare calculations
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:39 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
not exactly sure on this but if the Superannuation is $1000 or less you can make an application to have it paid back

Cheers thanks very much mucker!!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As you guys are intending to come back, leave the Qsuper where it is. She can continue adding to the fund when she comes back (as long its within 5 years) - if you withdraw it you will lose on it.

As for the tax return, yes, include BOTH months. From memory the actual tax return form asks for the specific day - both for tax and for medicare calculations
Cheers Poll, sittin here, 5th 4xxxx, nice'n'cold, next cider, 24 bottles of Newtons parked next to me!!!! Gonnqa be a long nite/?

I reckon AP Comp Cont is union fees paid after being taxed on the union fee cost, so a refundable cost maybe?

Done an online calculation using the 2009 comprehensive calculator, so a year old, well it seems using the rounded up months including October and March, she will be a owed a few bob back? So all in all might be good news, its about time we had some!!

Keith
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

"Can i submit her tax return without her being here in Australia?"

I would imagine she has to sign the return or if you do it by computer you would have to lie and do it on her behalf.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
"Can i submit her tax return without her being here in Australia?"

I would imagine she has to sign the return or if you do it by computer you would have to lie and do it on her behalf.
To do it before the end of the year it has to be submitted in paper. Te alternative is to wait until the beginning of July and then it can be done online and doesn't require a signature.
To do it in advance also needs a statement from the employer saying how much was earnt during this tax year - similar to the Group Certificate issued at the end of the tax year - you can't get a Group Cert till July.

Keith, she should get a few $$ back, but whether its worth the hassle of trying to get all the paperwork together now, or just waiting until the end of the tax year, is debateable. You'll have to do a tax return for yourself at the end of the tax year too, and again you'll need the Group Certificate. If you have both gone home before then, make sure your pay offices have a forwarding address.
We looked into doing Bernie's early a few weeks back and decided its probably easier to wait till the end of the tax year and do it online.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:48 pm
Banned

Yep Poll,

Kind of works out well, a back of a fag paket calc, sort of will pay for our one way flights back, so, in a liquorice allsorts kind of backward thinking, the ATO, will help us out, i know it has been paid, but hey, its a journey!!

I am gonna leave it, do an online self etax from the UK in July 2010, should be easy, PAYG, so now i am off to shleeeeeeeeps!

Keithy