Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax - Leaving the UK

Tax - Leaving the UK

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:26 am
Badge

Default Tax - Leaving the UK

here is a pdf file to lodge with the tax office when you leave the UK..

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

cheers

Badge

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Badge.

No doubt I will be owing them Tax.

They suck you in using "claim a rebate" and then punch you right in the wallet.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder how many of us will suddenly find we've been paid the wrong level of tax credits and have to pay a lump back to the lovely people at the inland revenue

Claire
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Claire,
Me defiantly .
My wife put my annual income down on the child credit form as
£200 . So we got about £3,000 when we where entitled to £0.
So I will probably have a £3,000 bill I could do without.

Pity it's all been spent.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Is this p85 leaving the uk required to be filled out before i leave the uk or does it not matter?

Im going away to oz on a working holiday visa and as i will be away from 29th jan 2004 to approx 29th jan 2005 i dont know if this needs to be filled before i go can anyone tell me.

or is this only for people who plan to live there longer or to say.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 6:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brian.w
Is this p85 leaving the uk required to be filled out before i leave the uk or does it not matter?

Im going away to oz on a working holiday visa and as i will be away from 29th jan 2004 to approx 29th jan 2005 i dont know if this needs to be filled before i go can anyone tell me.

or is this only for people who plan to live there longer or to say.
I doubt many WHMs fill out the form. I did not and on return to the UK I was getting demands for P45s. I handed them over and I got 500GBP back in tax that I had overpaid!!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 6:53 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Tax - Leaving the UK

Originally posted by badgersmount
here is a pdf file to lodge with the tax office when you leave the UK..

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

cheers

Badge

Thanks for this, I lodged it with the other 101 things to do if we ever get the Big Yellow One !!

Seasons Greetings to everyone

Warren

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:33 pm
jules

Julie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax

Before I went to OZ on my WHM visa I filled in a form, I cant remember which one but i got a tax refund when i was in Oz which my Mum kindly transfered to my Ozzy bank account when i was out there. i also filled one in when i got back and got another refund so id definately fill it in.

hope this is of some help.
julie
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: Tax

Originally posted by Julie Martin
Before I went to OZ on my WHM visa I filled in a form, I cant remember which one but i got a tax refund when i was in Oz which my Mum kindly transfered to my Ozzy bank account when i was out there. i also filled one in when i got back and got another refund so id definately fill it in.

hope this is of some help.
julie
what form was this?
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably a P85. You can get one from the tax office

Claire
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default UK tax and obtaining your Oz tax number...

Yes, it's important to get your tax affairs sorted out before you go. We went on a 1 year of travelling last year and came back to deal with alot of grief with the muppets at IR. They drove me and inevitably to ....

If you're off to Oz, then check out www.ato.gov.au - I tried to register for my TFN tonight but I think you need to be in Oz to do that. Big brother knows if you're in Oz unless you took the cheap boat option from Indonesia ; )

Piers
Old Dec 25th 2003, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's well worth filling in a rebate form.

I went to the tax office before i left in August and filled in a form for this year only to be told that the 2 years previous had discrepencies and would need these clared up first.

So I thouht the worst and thought that i would owe them some money.

But I got a lovely surprise when i got a rebate for 200 then 300 then 700 pounds. So I decided to buy this laptop with the windfall only prob is there is no pound sign on the keyboard.

So I think it's well worth the effort to fill in the forms.
Old Dec 25th 2003, 1:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by keel
So I decided to buy this laptop with the windfall only prob is there is no pound sign on the keyboard.
Hi Keel
You can set up windows so that you can switch between UK & US keyboard layouts, and still use the £ sign, as long as you remember it is over the No 3. And it is very easy to use, once set up. I had forgotten it myself, until your post reminded me to check it. I've got it installed and just used it for the first time in ages, I can now type ££££ as much as I like, he he.. and with just one click revert back to ##, except I never use that sign.

Old Dec 27th 2003, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Many thanks for posting this badger, have saved it until I need it. (hopefully before I retire!!)
Old Dec 27th 2003, 5:12 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default oh dear

Originally posted by PeterAndSue
Claire,
Me defiantly .
My wife put my annual income down on the child credit form as
£200 . So we got about £3,000 when we where entitled to £0.
So I will probably have a £3,000 bill I could do without.

Pity it's all been spent.
curious! just how many noughts did the wife miss off?