Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax leaving the country

tax leaving the country

Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:46 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice
Default tax leaving the country

don't know if anyone can help but i was just wondering what tax you get back when you leave the country, have spoken to a accountant and he said that i would be eligible to a rebate i was just wondering if anyone has done the same

many thanks

andy
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:48 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: tax leaving the country

Was just wondering the same... Will keep an eye on this thread.

Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Was just wondering the same... Will keep an eye on this thread.

I'm waiting for a rebate at the moment, Don't know how much though. I contacted my tax office and told them i was emigrating, Downloaded the forms P85 and sent them off about 3 weeks ago. They have acknowledged
receiving them just waiting to hear from them. I will chase them up in a couple of weeks though. Will be interesting if they are as keen to pay me back and how long it takes

John
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:11 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I'm waiting for a rebate at the moment, Don't know how much though. I contacted my tax office and told them i was emigrating, Downloaded the forms P85 and sent them off about 3 weeks ago. They have acknowledged
receiving them just waiting to hear from them. I will chase them up in a couple of weeks though. Will be interesting if they are as keen to pay me back and how long it takes

John
i'm waitin for a few cheques myself regards money overpaided, funny enough i've been waitin for a month or so i know what you mean. have asked an accountant and not sure but i think you get a months worth of tax but wanted to be sure and pick some brains on here.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

Originally Posted by woody1974
i'm waitin for a few cheques myself regards money overpaided, funny enough i've been waitin for a month or so i know what you mean. have asked an accountant and not sure but i think you get a months worth of tax but wanted to be sure and pick some brains on here.
We've done the same, just waiting for the rebate.

We are about to send them a £100 fine for not paying us inside of our specified time frame, and start charging them interest on the money they owe us

Do you think they'll pay it?

T
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

When the tax office work out your tax each month they assume that you are working april to april each year.

If your tax code is 585L (example) you are allowed to earn 5850 per annum or 112.50 per week before tax. If you leave work after say 48 weeks then that will increase to 121.88 per week. So this is why you will receive a rebate as you will not be earning any more in this country.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrym

We are about to send them a £100 fine for not paying us inside of our specified time frame, and start charging them interest on the money they owe us

T

Interesting point. Would be nice to think this would happen.

John
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

T

I'd say ........ no chance
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:31 pm
still searching

T
lol better get the red letters ready, wonder if they'll send you a cheque straight away.

Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

We left in November - I got £550 back. They told Bert they wanted a tax return for 04/05 before looking at the p85 for 05/06. Duly did this - they then paid him over £500 for 04/05 and almost four times that for 05/06! Makes you wonder how much you've overpaid in previous years!!!!

Stella
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Neil & Shell will become famous soon enough

don't know if anyone can help but i was just wondering what tax you get back when you leave the country, have spoken to a accountant and he said that i would be eligible to a rebate i was just wondering if anyone has done the same

many thanks

andy
Hi Andy

You need to complete form P85 and send to HM Revenue & Customs.

In order to speed up the process you must make sure the form is completed correctly and you enclose your P45. You should receive your P45 from your employer when you leave. You also need to know the date you left the UK.

I received my rebate within 3 weeks of leaving the UK direct into my bank account.

I'm an UK accountant and now work for a firm of chartered accountants in Brisbane. My role is to work on UK tax returns and accounts aswell as Australian tax returns.

If anyone wants me to calculate how much rebate you will get or you need help with your tax returns please send me a PM.

Good luck with the move to Australia

Shell
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light

many thanks

andy
We filled in the forms in December and got letter from them yesterday in oz.
We got nearly thousand quid between the both of us!! So well worth it.
Sue
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:45 am
still searching

Originally Posted by Neil & Shell
Hi Andy

You need to complete form P85 and send to HM Revenue & Customs.

In order to speed up the process you must make sure the form is completed correctly and you enclose your P45. You should receive your P45 from your employer when you leave. You also need to know the date you left the UK.

I received my rebate within 3 weeks of leaving the UK direct into my bank account.

I'm an UK accountant and now work for a firm of chartered accountants in Brisbane. My role is to work on UK tax returns and accounts aswell as Australian tax returns.

If anyone wants me to calculate how much rebate you will get or you need help with your tax returns please send me a PM.

Good luck with the move to Australia

Shell
thanks shell, always good to hear it from someone in the know as they say, will look into it a bit more now and get all the info together for the p85 form.
flying into brissy on the 18th of march for a few days so hope the weathers good lol.

thanks again all

andy