Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax implications on renting out house in uk?

tax implications on renting out house in uk?

Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tax implications on renting out house in uk?

Originally Posted by pogsy
Hi windsurfer,
I am not sure but I was told that if you are non resident in the UK for a whole tax year then you are allowed to take up to £9,000.00 tax free from a UK point of view, not sure about the oz side of things, but why not have the rent paid into a UK account linked with a visa card you can use in oz and have paid on d/d from the rental income and just dont tell the oz tax people.
Regards Rob
Blimey, after reading all these posts I am now totally confused. Dont want to hide my tax from them as dont want to end up in an oz jail as have not been in a uk one yet to train up so to speak . Anyone in the biz know the definitive answer?

Thanks , windsurfer uk
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix
This is the site you need for the UK tax form.
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/nr_landlords.htm#2
I am just making it out myself.

Although I now live full time in Aus I believe as a subject of the Commonwealth I will be eligible to a UK personal tax allowance.

My only UK income will be rental funds and those will probably not fully cover my mortgage and insurances especially if as a landlord I have maintenance and upkeep bills coming in on my property.

I am renting in Aus so my UK house although rented out is still classed as my main residence. My understanding is that the 6 month rule for Aus taxation would only kick in from the date I sold the house. Tax would be assessed on that sales value against any gain (or loss) when actually transferring the funds to Aus at a later date.

BTW, don't forget to claim a tax rebate when leaving the UK.
Bix, there has been talk of a new ruling by the ATO, in your case the period of exemption from the tax on any gain from the sale of the property after you arrive in Australia is increased from the initial 6 months to something like 6 years.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:06 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The taxation of pension income from the UK received by an Aussie tax resident differs to investment income from the UK in that tax suffered on UK source pension income arising after you become tax resident should be recovered from the UK Inland Revenue - it should NOT be claimed as a tax credit against your Aussie tax liability.

See also Inland Revenue form FD2 at www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk - and a knowledgeable tax advisor if you're still unclear about the situation.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Grayling
That has confused me

I understood that I would recieve tax credits from the UK and then pay Australian tax on my pension etc.

Are you suggesting that I will only be liable for Australian tax on the amount above the usual personal UK tax allowance...and still recieve the first $6000 as a tax free allowance in Australia as the ATO does not tax the first $6000 income?

G
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:11 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

So long as there is no other dwelling that is owned and considered to be the taxpayer's main residence ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by andy thomas
Bix, there has been talk of a new ruling by the ATO, in your case the period of exemption from the tax on any gain from the sale of the property after you arrive in Australia is increased from the initial 6 months to something like 6 years.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
So long as there is no other dwelling that is owned and considered to be the taxpayer's main residence ...

Best regards.
Thank you Alan for your answer, and to everyone else as well for their information , very much appreciated.
Regards windsurfer uk
Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

So does that mean that if we keep our house in the UK and rent it out and buy another house in Australia that we would be liable for capital gains tax when we eventually sell the UK house? If so would this just be on the "gain" made on the UK house since the Australian house was purchased?

Thanks

Paul

Originally Posted by Alan Collett

Best regards.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

kathmand194 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
So does that mean that if we keep our house in the UK and rent it out and buy another house in Australia that we would be liable for capital gains tax when we eventually sell the UK house? If so would this just be on the "gain" made on the UK house since the Australian house was purchased?

Thanks

Paul
Now your talking!!!!!

Good point,Paul I would be very interested to hear a peply to that one , I guess this could be true. Gary.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe

Thanks

Paul
Basically Yes

But if you thought your UK house would appreciate faster than your Oz one you could keep claiming your UK house as your principle place of residence for up to 6 years. BUT you'd have to pay CGT on your Oz house.

If their was 2 of you not married and not declared a couple one of you could own the Uk house the other the Oz house and both house would then be free of Oz CGT. That is my understanding anyway.