Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax implications of bringing cash to Australia

Tax implications of bringing cash to Australia

Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Tax implications of bringing cash to Australia

What are the tax implications of bringing big wads of savings to Australia as a migrant? For instance from a house sale.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tax implications of bringing cash to Australia

None at all if its within 6 months of moving here permanently.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spottydog
Thanks. And if you're not PR?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

According to my enquiries, there is no such rule, I asked the ATO that same question, it doesn't matter when you sell your house or when you bring the money over (if it's your primary property). But your answer doesn't surprise me as the tax officer first didn't know, had to put me on a long hold to find out... were you told something differently? You should think they have been asked that question hundreds of times before?!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontron
According to my enquiries, there is no such rule, I asked the ATO that same question, it doesn't matter when you sell your house or when you bring the money over (if it's your primary property). But your answer doesn't surprise me as the tax officer first didn't know, had to put me on a long hold to find out... were you told something differently? You should think they have been asked that question hundreds of times before?!
No, there is no such rule - been discussed on here many times. Doesn't have to be moved within 6 months.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by edmontron
My understanding is it is to do with the Capital Gain made on the exchange of the currency so if you moved here when the rate was 2:1 you wouldn't have any gain if you currently changed your money at 1.6:1 but if you moved now at 1.6:1 and kept your money in the UK for a year and the rate went up to 2:1 then you would be liable for CGT on the extra dollars made due to the exchange rate change.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is it is to do with the Capital Gain made on the exchange of the currency so if you moved here when the rate was 2:1 you wouldn't have any gain if you currently changed your money at 1.6:1 but if you moved now at 1.6:1 and kept your money in the UK for a year and the rate went up to 2:1 then you would be liable for CGT on the extra dollars made due to the exchange rate change.
All assumes there is a capital gain - could just as easily be a capital loss.

Bottom line is that if you move your savings/sell house etc at the same time as you move, then you don't have any tax issues to worry about. If you decide to speculate then you might or might not make gains - or losses. If you make gains, these might be taxable.

Pensions are different and you have 6 months after moving to be able to move them without paying tax on gains since you migrated - but depending on the pension type and your circumstances it may be better to leave them as they are.

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 6th 2010 at 2:08 am.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

mto2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also finding it difficult to find a ruling on this. I called the ATO and like Edmontron they didn't know. I've read reports that its 6 months, 1 year, and also anything over $250000 - lot of mixed signals.

I can't imagine that anyone who has had £100,000 in the UK for past 5 years and transferred it to Oz in say 2 years, if the FX rate went to 2:1, would consider this a gain when the FX rate 5 years ago was about 2.3:1.

The last thing anyone would want to do is transfer a large sum right now at the lowest rate in recent history.

Anyone know if the tax is payable if the exchange rate changes but you leave the money in UK and don't transfer it OR only payable if you do the transfer?

Last edited by mto2010; Dec 6th 2010 at 8:07 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mto2010
The last thing anyone would want to do is transfer a large sum right now at the lowest rate in recent history.
I agree. It's the prospect of a two tier euro that is spurring me on. I won't be doing anything rash though.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mto2010
I'm also finding it difficult to find a ruling on this. I called the ATO and like Edmontron they didn't know. I've read reports that its 6 months, 1 year, and also anything over $250000 - lot of mixed signals.

I can't imagine that anyone who has had £100,000 in the UK for past 5 years and transferred it to Oz in say 2 years, if the FX rate went to 2:1, would consider this a gain when the FX rate 5 years ago was about 2.3:1.

Anyone know if the tax is payable if the exchange rate changes but you leave the money in UK and don't transfer it OR only payable if you do the transfer?

True, but a capital loss now could be offset against a capital gain in the future...

S
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
True, but a capital loss now could be offset against a capital gain in the future...

S
Could it? Can you provide a source?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

mto2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I can hardly see the ATO agreeing to that in a tax return.