Reload this Page >

Tax on HIFX forward contract

Wikiposts

Tax on HIFX forward contract

Old Aug 30th 2004, 2:33 am
Banned

Nogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax on HIFX forward contract

From earlier posts I believe the following to be the case but would like to test with others with more experience of the Australian system.

I have forward bought $A with HIFX at 2.40. If when I become tax resident in Australia the exchange rate is $2.60 can I claim the loss as on offset against my assessable income for the current tax year?

Presumably this would only apply if the cash was transferred after becoming tax resident? If transferring before then no offset would be available?

Conversely if the Australia exchange rate is $2.20 on residency I would have to include the “profit” as assessable income?

Regards

Last edited by Nogo; Aug 30th 2004 at 2:35 am. Reason: addition
Old Aug 30th 2004, 5:48 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax on HIFX forward contract

Originally Posted by Nogo
From earlier posts I believe the following to be the case but would like to test with others with more experience of the Australian system.

I have forward bought $A with HIFX at 2.40. If when I become tax resident in Australia the exchange rate is $2.60 can I claim the loss as on offset against my assessable income for the current tax year?

Presumably this would only apply if the cash was transferred after becoming tax resident? If transferring before then no offset would be available?

Conversely if the Australia exchange rate is $2.20 on residency I would have to include the “profit� as assessable income?

Regards
The strike point is the day you become tax resident, not the day you bought the asset. Ie you own assets at their market value on the day that you become tax resident. It's the capital gains after that which matter.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 6:58 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I have forward bought $A with HIFX at 2.40
I don't understand According to HIFX today's rate is 2.56. You've asked them to wait 'til the rate drops?
Old Aug 30th 2004, 4:43 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by wmoore
I don't understand According to HIFX today's rate is 2.56. You've asked them to wait 'til the rate drops?
Probably fixed contract back in March
Old Aug 30th 2004, 8:44 pm
Banned

Nogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Don
Probably fixed contract back in March
Yes the contract was done earlier this year. So the fact that I bought A$ would mean that there would be no change in the value so no tax issue?

An interesting point though is that with a forward contract I have only made a deposit against the value and not paid for it yet. So if the value date (when I actually buy the currency) occurred after residency my capital is still in GBP at the strike date. So I could make a taxable loss or gain depending on the exchange rate at the value date compared with that on the strike date?

Perhaps this is one for Alan Collett to comment on.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 8:59 pm
Don
Banned

Yes the contract was done earlier this year. So the fact that I bought A$ would mean that there would be no change in the value so no tax issue?

An interesting point though is that with a forward contract I have only made a deposit against the value and not paid for it yet. So if the value date (when I actually buy the currency) occurred after residency my capital is still in GBP at the strike date. So I could make a taxable loss or gain depending on the exchange rate at the value date compared with that on the strike date?

Perhaps this is one for Alan Collett to comment on.
Not sure where you stand with regard to UK taxation. I would imagine that you have not made a capital loss/ gain as far as UK tax is concerned until you converted AUD back into GBP (and whilst you are resident in the UK). You don't seem to plan to do this so safe to ignore.

With regard to Australian taxation, you currently own AUD (or will do at contract completion). The fact that the AUD/ GBP exchange rate moves for or against you by the time you get to Australia will not IMHO create a gain or loss in AUD terms. So nothing to worry about there either.