Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax, group certificates and other really boring stuff.

Tax, group certificates and other really boring stuff.

Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:26 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough
Default Tax, group certificates and other really boring stuff.

Ok, I apologise if any newcomers are offended that I have the audacity to post something other than pictures of sunny beaches or how fab the weather is but sorry, life goes on.

Since arriving in Bris I have had several "Fill in" jobs before finding my current permanent job, as these jobs paid wages and incurred tax I have to state the amount of gross pay etc on my E-Tax return, I am sure you are already bored to tears by such a boring thread and if you have not already clicked out then please read on.

How can I find out what the gross pay was in my several jobs, some of which I only did for a few weeks, one only lasted a day and there was no way I was going back. Can I just estimate the amounts or does it have to be 100% accurate. I have pay slips from some of the jobs but not all.

If you have not slit your wrists or taken a handful of prozac just yet then please let me have the benefit of your knowledge.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:42 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax, group certificates and other really boring stuff.

Originally Posted by Ozzy4life
Ok, I apologise if any newcomers are offended that I have the audacity to post something other than pictures of sunny beaches or how fab the weather is but sorry, life goes on.

Since arriving in Bris I have had several "Fill in" jobs before finding my current permanent job, as these jobs paid wages and incurred tax I have to state the amount of gross pay etc on my E-Tax return, I am sure you are already bored to tears by such a boring thread and if you have not already clicked out then please read on.

How can I find out what the gross pay was in my several jobs, some of which I only did for a few weeks, one only lasted a day and there was no way I was going back. Can I just estimate the amounts or does it have to be 100% accurate. I have pay slips from some of the jobs but not all.

If you have not slit your wrists or taken a handful of prozac just yet then please let me have the benefit of your knowledge.
Your employer is required to send you a group certificate, all amounts will need to be taken off that.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:49 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Your employer is required to send you a group certificate, all amounts will need to be taken off that.
Are you the only person who is talking to me here? I seem to remember you answered a question of mine yesterday which nobody else give a second glance. Is there still a clique here that is thriving and I am obviously not part of?

Anyway, MrsDagboy, there lies the problem. I have had 7 employers this tax year most of which were poxy little employment agencies who only exist to make a buck off the likes of me and other desperate immos, they don't give a funk about sending out group certs or even entering into correspondence over the phone.

Is it a legal requirement to send out group certs? Even for poxy little scabby backstreet cut and shut employment agencies?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:56 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you the only person who is talking to me here? I seem to remember you answered a question of mine yesterday which nobody else give a second glance. Is there still a clique here that is thriving and I am obviously not part of?

Anyway, MrsDagboy, there lies the problem. I have had 7 employers this tax year most of which were poxy little employment agencies who only exist to make a buck off the likes of me and other desperate immos, they don't give a funk about sending out group certs or even entering into correspondence over the phone.

Is it a legal requirement to send out group certs? Even for poxy little scabby backstreet cut and shut employment agencies?
LOL, to be honest I hadnt realised that it was you again . I can ignore your questions from now on if you like . Anyway I wouldnt worry, cos if there is a clique that must mean Im not part of it either & Ive been talking to myself for the last 4000 odd posts

But now being serious for a moment, yes it is a legal requirement for them to send you a group certificate. If you paid tax, you will be sent one! Hope that helps.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jul 5th 2005 at 6:59 am.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
LOL, to be honest I hadnt realised that it was you again . I can ignore your questions from now on if you like . Anyway I wouldnt worry, cos if there is a clique that must mean Im not part of it either & Ive been talking to myself for the last 4000 odd posts

But now being serious for a moment, yes it is a legal requirement for them to send you a group certificate. If you paid tax, you will be sent one! Hope that helps.
Thank you MrsDagboy. One more thing, how long do they normally take to get them in the post? Is there a legal timeframe?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Everyone you've worked for is bound by law to provide you with a group certificate. I worked for a poxy little place when I just arrived here and they had to send me my cert. When they took their time about it I gave them one call & it was all sorted out.

Basically it's like this, if they've been deducting tax from you they have to pay it over to the taxman. If they aren't providing you with paperwork saying "Hey, look, we took this much tax off you." then it might start to look like they've been pocketing the tax they deducted off you. Not so good for them if the tax man finds out - comprende?

See, no-ones ignoring you.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:42 am
ABCDiamond

One more thing, how long do they normally take to get them in the post? Is there a legal timeframe?
It can take 14+ days for some places to send them out. It depends how well organised they are.

It's tax time....... I LOVE tax time

Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It can take 14+ days for some places to send them out. It depends how well organised they are.

It's tax time....... I LOVE tax time

Weirdo!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G'Day
Weirdo!

On second thought - can I have the phone number of your accountant?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by G'Day
Weirdo!
I came to that conclusion myself at the weekend, after doing my wifes tax return, and feelling really good at the end of it.

Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:56 am
Rocket Scientist

Thank you MrsDagboy. One more thing, how long do they normally take to get them in the post? Is there a legal timeframe?
I think there used to be a 21 day cutoff? (its been along time since I did payroll, I may be incorrect! ), but I cant find anything on the ATO website now. As ABC said, some can take a while, but most will be sent out in the first 2 weeks.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

I know how you feel, cause when I left in Dec it was not tax time yet and i had to get the group certs. and no one gave a damn. there is even a place that never replied to my phone calls or mails.

In the end, i did a stat dec with all my play slips (ATO adviced me to do so) and it worked instead of the group cert.

good luck,

fabie
Old Jul 5th 2005, 9:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by swissfabs
I know how you feel, cause when I left in Dec it was not tax time yet and i had to get the group certs. and no one gave a damn. there is even a place that never replied to my phone calls or mails.

In the end, i did a stat dec with all my play slips (ATO adviced me to do so) and it worked instead of the group cert.

good luck,

fabie
Another problem is I can't even remember the name of some of the scuzzy employment agencies I got shit jobs with in my first few months here never mind know the phone numbers or anything.
I can see this developing into a problem.
This tax year I am going to keep all pay slips etc safe, a lesson for you all here.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:27 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Another problem is I can't even remember the name of some of the scuzzy employment agencies I got shit jobs with in my first few months here never mind know the phone numbers or anything.
I can see this developing into a problem.
This tax year I am going to keep all pay slips etc safe, a lesson for you all here.
if i were you i'd phone the ATO and explain the situation and see what they reckon....