Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax and Financial Planning Advice

View Poll Results: Do You Intend to Take Tax and Financial Planning Advice?
Yes - before I am granted my visa
10.00%
Yes - after I am granted my visa and before I move to Australia
36.00%
Yes - after I have moved to Australia
10.00%
No - I am happy I can research all I need to know
44.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Tax and Financial Planning Advice

Old May 28th 2004, 6:02 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax and Financial Planning Advice

If the Forum Owners will allow me I'd be interested to know how many people who are migrating to Australia are (or are not) intending to take advice on tax and financial planning.

Best regards.
Old May 28th 2004, 8:11 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax and Financial Planning Advice

Originally posted by Alan Collett
If the Forum Owners will allow me I'd be interested to know how many people who are migrating to Australia are (or are not) intending to take advice on tax and financial planning.

Best regards.
Bump!
Old May 28th 2004, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Best regards.

I think you can pretty much guess which answer will come out on top !!

You should have specified another option - namely how many of those taking financial advice have actually paid for it
Old May 30th 2004, 1:44 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

No, actually I'm quite surprised by the results at the moment (as I type this more than 60% are happy they have researched all they need to know).

I am not sure whether that means there are some very resourceful people out there, whether the tax system in Australia is easier than I realised, or whether people don't recognise all the issues they should be considering ... :-))

Best regards.

Originally posted by sjn2003
I think you can pretty much guess which answer will come out on top !!

You should have specified another option - namely how many of those taking financial advice have actually paid for it
Old May 30th 2004, 6:01 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

No, actually I'm quite surprised by the results at the moment (as I type this more than 60% are happy they have researched all they need to know).

I am not sure whether that means there are some very resourceful people out there, whether the tax system in Australia is easier than I realised, or whether people don't recognise all the issues they should be considering ... :-))

Best regards.
Could also be:

Not yet in Aus so don't realise the benefits of 'working' the Aus tax system
Not wealthy enough for it to really matter that much
Already internet savvy, makes research easier (ie not representative of migrants as a whole)
Old May 30th 2004, 7:45 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Not wealthy enough for it to really matter that much
I think this one's me.
Old May 30th 2004, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

Best regards.
It surprises me too.

We weren't about to pay for tax advice before we knew we had the visa, but now it's been granted we've already been talking to tax advisors, especially since we're about to complete on an apartment in Melbourne that we bought off plan.

We don't plan to more out there for a few years, but it surprised us at the differences with the tax system in Oz (not that I fully understand the one here )
Old May 31st 2004, 9:49 am
Migration Agent

Bounce ...
Old May 31st 2004, 9:54 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Bounce ...
Alan do you offer this type of service on its own...? once I have a visa...Or is this something you are investigating doing at the moment...
Old May 31st 2004, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

kerunkadunk is an unknown quantity at this point

The tax situation was one of the reasons we changed our mind about emigrating to Australia. Having spent 40 years getting to grips with the UK system, we found that there were too many ways for our hard earned cash to be extracted from us, and the tax/financial planning arrangements were just one.

Rob
Old May 31st 2004, 9:30 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by kerunkadunk
The tax situation was one of the reasons we changed our mind about emigrating to Australia. Having spent 40 years getting to grips with the UK system, we found that there were too many ways for our hard earned cash to be extracted from us, and the tax/financial planning arrangements were just one.

Rob

So you stayed in the UK because of the tax implications

Bye
Mark
Old May 31st 2004, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

That reply confused me too! No way would I let tax stop me from going somewhere but we all have different priorities. Personally it amazes me the way this government comes up with new and inventive ways of taxing us... IR35 and S660 to name a few( good thing I'm not bitter!).

Taxation may be higher in Oz but as I understand it, it's not stealth taxation.

TTFN,
Karen
Old May 31st 2004, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by kaz101

Taxation may be higher in Oz but as I understand it, it's not stealth taxation.

TTFN,
Karen
There are a few hidden taxes in Australia, for example a payroll tax.

The state and federal governments are however very fond of bringing in levies, which according to all the spokesmen are "not taxes, just levies".

In Queensland for example, I have to pay an ambulance levy on my electricity bill! There has even been a suggestion in Queensland for a births, marriages and deaths levy
I am just waiting for the levy payable on tax paid to be introduced!

Just for a taster, here are some of the government levies recently in force in Australia. Not all these are payable by everybody, and some may now have been removed:

Levy on domestic sugar sales
Aircraft noise levy
Stevedoring levy
Dairy industry adjustment levy
Ansett levy

The high income tax rate is also supplimented by 10% GST, plus an absolutely gobsmacking amount of money received by state governments in tax taken from poker machines, you really have to wonder where all this money goes.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 1:09 am
Migration Agent

Yes ... I didn't want this thread to come across as a promotional exercise, but for those who are interested I "put on my Chartered Accountant hat" and advise on tax planning issues for those who are moving to Oz. Please send me an email if you want to know more ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by peppi
Alan do you offer this type of service on its own...? once I have a visa...Or is this something you are investigating doing at the moment...
Old Jun 4th 2004, 6:29 am
Migration Agent

Bounce (for the last time) ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.