Tax File Number for those heading for OZ

Wikiposts

Tax File Number for those heading for OZ

Old Jul 27th 2003, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

mel&dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax File Number for those heading for OZ

G'Day Guys,

Thought I'd let you into a little secret regarding your Tax File Number. If you're a permanent migrant or temporary visitor, you can apply for a tax file number online.

Applying for a TFN online is much quicker - you don't need to physically provide proof of identity documents and you don't need to visit the Tax Office you could even do it before you arrive as long as you have an address here in OZ.

To access the system - go to www.ato.gov.au and select
'For Individuals' then go to 'Online Individual TFN registration' in the 'Updates' column.

You will need a valid passport of course or relevant travel documents to use the system so that the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Inidigenous Affairs can provide an identity match.

It generally takes about 2 weeks to come through but you may start work before it comes through.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mel & Dave
Old Jul 27th 2003, 11:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Some visas won't allow you to have a tax number until they are validated though - which surprised me!
I tried to go for one online, and it said I could not have one until after validation, so I guess Big Brother has linked the computers up somehow!
Useful site though - I'll hang on to the address until November and try again then!
Old Jul 28th 2003, 12:02 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tax File Number for those heading for OZ

I'm confused!
Tried your method and all I got was the ability to download the form (PDF). Can you please post the full link?

Thanks

Dinky
Old Jul 28th 2003, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax File Number for those heading for OZ

Originally posted by mel&dave
G'Day Guys,

Thought I'd let you into a little secret regarding your Tax File Number. If you're a permanent migrant or temporary visitor, you can apply for a tax file number online.

Applying for a TFN online is much quicker - you don't need to physically provide proof of identity documents and you don't need to visit the Tax Office you could even do it before you arrive as long as you have an address here in OZ.

To access the system - go to www.ato.gov.au and select
'For Individuals' then go to 'Online Individual TFN registration' in the 'Updates' column.

You will need a valid passport of course or relevant travel documents to use the system so that the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Inidigenous Affairs can provide an identity match.

It generally takes about 2 weeks to come through but you may start work before it comes through.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mel & Dave
Hmmm this has been discussed many times before in this forum. I thought the consensus is that it is not necessarily a wise move. See http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=242 for details.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 12:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dinky,
Try

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/27086.htm

Then click on Apply for a Tax File Number, keep clicking the next button, eventually it asks for your passport number which it checks with DIMIA - thats where I came to a halt as it (quite rightly) said I haven't yet validated my visa!

See if it works now...................

Bit confused now though, by the suggestion that this is not a "wise move" - surely I will have to have a tax number as an Aussie resident and worker, cos I'll have to pay tax? So getting it on line and avoiding queues and lost documents seems like a good idea to me? Have I got the wrong end of the stick somewhere? (Quite likely, tis Monday!)

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 28th 2003 at 3:00 am.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

BJKLiffey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info , but the website states you can only use if Living in Australia now.

Karen & Brendan