Reload this Page >

Tax file number (TFN) application query

Tax file number (TFN) application query

Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

keaton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tax file number (TFN) application query

Hi guys and girls,

Hope you all had a good Bank Hol and enjoyed the weather.

I'm trying to apply for my tax file number but appear to be having no joy via the www.ato.gov.au website as I either have to be residing in Oz to apply for said TFN.

Is that correct? If so, how can I apply prior to moving out to Oz just so it's one less thing to worry about?

Any pointers wil be gladly welcomed!

Cheers!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tax file number (TFN) application query

Originally posted by keaton
Hi guys and girls,

I'm trying to apply for my tax file number but appear to be having no joy via the www.ato.gov.au website as I either have to be residing in Oz to apply for said TFN.

Is that correct? If so, how can I apply prior to moving out to Oz just so it's one less thing to worry about?

Cheers!
Try this link it might help - http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...ntent/6979.htm
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:10 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

The system checks that your visa has been validated. If you haven't reached Aus yet then you can't apply for the TFN.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Takes 10 minutes when you arrive, find the tax office, fill in a form with your passport number, hand it in, wait upto 28 days, ours took 18.
Tey don't even check the form.
No problem,
Mash...

PS You can't claim family credit though till you get the number to put on the claim form at Centrelink.

Hi guys and girls,

Cheers!
Old Aug 27th 2003, 1:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mashiraz

PS You can't claim family credit though till you get the number to put on the claim form at Centrelink.
Good point Mash.

Remember, get TFNs for you AND your partner. We made the mistake on only applying for mine (as my wife doesn't work) but it delayed our Family Tax Benefit payment as they required both.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

If you've got internet access on arrival you can apply on line rather than go into a tax office. We went into the tax office in Perth and were told the pen & paper method takes longer to come through, quicker on line & they had three terminals to do so there. So you can avoid another trip if you you can go on line elsewhere.

Loopy
Old Aug 27th 2003, 2:20 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

We applied for both of our numbers on line. You just enter your visa number amongst other things and it is all very straight forward. The numbers came through very quickly - didn't take long at all. We have been here three weeks now and had them over a week - not sure how long exactly they took to come through - but as you can see not long.

Dawn

P.S. I did the same thing for our Fly Buy cards - on line - very quick.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldn’t worry about the wait to get your TFN when you get here. They issue you with the temporary one immediately, which you can use until your official one comes through.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 7:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

5 years ago I remember temporarily working without handing in my TFN. I was heavily taxed but claimed it back later on.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

keaton is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys and girls most helpful, guess will get TFN sorted in OZ.

Mash - how's things in Adelaide going?
Old Aug 28th 2003, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

48% tax with no TFN