Reload this Page >

Tax File Number Query

Tax File Number Query

Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:35 am
Anna

Peanuts100 is on a distinguished road
Default Tax File Number Query

Hi Guys

I have a query regarding my tax file number. I have done a quick search but it did not answer my question.

I am in Australia on a Spouse Visa (1st Stage). At the moment I have a non resident tax file number. Is that what I should have? and after the two years are up, should this change to resident?

Sorry to be a bit thick but I really don't know!! Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:39 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax File Number Query

Originally Posted by Peanuts100
Hi Guys

I have a query regarding my tax file number. I have done a quick search but it did not answer my question.

I am in Australia on a Spouse Visa (1st Stage). At the moment I have a non resident tax file number. Is that what I should have? and after the two years are up, should this change to resident?

Sorry to be a bit thick but I really don't know!! Thanks
Your TFN, like your NI number, never changes.

Andrew
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:42 am
Anna

So does that mean I am stuck as non resident and pay more tax forever?!!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:43 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

So does that mean I am stuck as non resident and pay more tax forever?!!!

No, it means that number stays with you, but how you fill out your tax form changes IE: you now tick the resident box
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mlbonner
No, it means that number stays with you, but how you fill out your tax form changes IE: you now tick the resident box
I'm on prospective marriage visa and originally applied as a non resident only to discover that because it is my intention to live with my partner in Australia I am classified as a resident for tax purposes!!!

I phoned the tax office and explained the situation and was basically told to put in writing - I did this and within 3 weeks had new letter confirming the change
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:27 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
I'm on prospective marriage visa and originally applied as a non resident only to discover that because it is my intention to live with my partner in Australia I am classified as a resident for tax purposes!!!

I phoned the tax office and explained the situation and was basically told to put in writing - I did this and within 3 weeks had new letter confirming the change

My TFN is the same number I had when I was on a WHV, and it will be the same number when I'm a citizen. There's no change to the number ever, just the status/way you fill out the forms. I did call the ATO to advise them of my change of status, and they told me it was all down to how I filled out the forms!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mlbonner
My TFN is the same number I had when I was on a WHV, and it will be the same number when I'm a citizen. There's no change to the number ever, just the status/way you fill out the forms. I did call the ATO to advise them of my change of status, and they told me it was all down to how I filled out the forms!
Yes sorry the number was the same just status had changed
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:52 am
Anna

Thanks for your help guys.

I haven't had to fill any form to put my status in as I had a TFN from when I was travelling 2 years ago. Sorry I should have mentioned that before!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:54 am
part-time Visa Angel!

I haven't had to fill any form to put my status in as I had a TFN from when I was travelling 2 years ago. Sorry I should have mentioned that before!!!

The forms are associated with when you become employed/file a tax return.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:56 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I first came over as PR in 1996, got my TFN and looked for work (didn't find any but didn;t look too hard!).
Went back to the UK after 12 months.
Returned last year as 457 temp visa and used my old TFN straight away.

It is the forms that you get done at the end of the tax year (June 30) that are being referred to.

Andrew
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:19 am
Anna

Originally Posted by andrew63
Me too. I first came over as PR in 1996, got my TFN and looked for work (didn't find any but didn;t look too hard!).
Went back to the UK after 12 months.
Returned last year as 457 temp visa and used my old TFN straight away.

It is the forms that you get done at the end of the tax year (June 30) that are being referred to.

Andrew
Oh ok - sorry only 24, have never done tax forms in my life!!!

From the silly little girl!