Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax file number problem

Tax file number problem

Old Dec 9th 2005, 3:12 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Tax file number problem

I've tried applying online for a TFN but am being told that I have not arrived in Australia. Well, we validated four weeks ago and so would expect the system to have been updated by now.

There is a helpline number which I'll call on Monday but has anyone else had the same problem?
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax file number problem

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
I've tried applying online for a TFN but am being told that I have not arrived in Australia. Well, we validated four weeks ago and so would expect the system to have been updated by now.

There is a helpline number which I'll call on Monday but has anyone else had the same problem?
probably recognised the fact that you left again. Wait till you get here its no problem. It only takes a week.

Jo
Old Dec 9th 2005, 8:12 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that in Oz they scan your passport not just on entry but also on exit. In other words, the computer knows you when you entered Australia, but also knows that you left.- You'll be able to apply for your TFN once you're in Oz for good.

Gina
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:50 pm
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Had the same problem after living here 8 months! According to them I was in the UK. Eventually had to go to Immigration in person in Brisbane and show them my face. If you take your passport (duh....obviously) and would be helpful for them if you can remember your flight number! This helps them sort out the movements. All caused by not being scanned in! Sorted there and then! Good luck you illegal immigrant you!
ViVi
Old Dec 10th 2005, 4:49 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you can apply for a TFN online before you arrive? (For Medicare they refer back to your entry which may be what you are thinking about).

There have been some large delays with TFN's recently. When we applied for ours at the ATO we were told to expect it within 10 days. I rang up at 30 days and was given the numbers verbally but had to wait another few weeks to get the paper copy.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:53 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
I thought you can apply for a TFN online before you arrive? (For Medicare they refer back to your entry which may be what you are thinking about).
I thought so too. I have an address of some friends that I can use over there.

If it has to be onshore, then, no problem, I'll do it when we arrive next Easter.

I'll ring them on Monday to check.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 1:45 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I thought you can apply for a TFN online before you arrive?
No, you can't. When you go to their website (for "permanent migrants"), it says explicitly that you have to be in Oz to apply.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...p=001&st=&cy=1

Gina
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:03 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
No, you can't. When you go to their website (for "permanent migrants"), it says explicitly that you have to be in Oz to apply.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...p=001&st=&cy=1

Gina
It may be true but after 7 weeks here I have long since decided not to trust anything official. On the second day we took the advice of the Welcome to WA brochure and went to Centrelink in the city to get the forms for TFN and they told us to sod off if we weren't claiming and we that had to take a bus to Northbridge to the ATO to do it. We got there and were told we could have done it online from anywhere so long as we had visa numbers.