Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax file number - how do i get one??

tax file number - how do i get one??

Old Jul 11th 2005, 12:49 am
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future
Question tax file number - how do i get one??

Can anyone help me with this one.
I need to get a tax file number as soon as I arrive in Oz - I already have the form and it says I need loads of documents with Aussie addresses on etc to prove ID. When I get there the only ID I will have is my passport - so any ideas on how I get any other forms of acceptable aussie ID (what did any of you people use?).

Also, if there an office that I can go to to get the TFN - or do I have to send the docs of to them? If this is the case then thats a bit of a hassle because I would have to post my passport to the Aus Taxation Office - and of course my passport is my only valid piece of ID is Oz.

Anyone got any advice relating to this - or to any other imediate finacial matters (like getting a bank account)??

Juanita
Old Jul 11th 2005, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax file number - how do i get one??

Is an immigrant to Oz you can apply on-line after arrival. No documents needed just you passport number and personal info. You cant do it until you have entered the country. It only took a week for our number to come through. You can get by without it for a few weeks. I think you will find the web address on the form, at top.

Cheers Jo
Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

www.ato.gov.au

That should do.

You need an address and it can't be a PO Box number.

We did ours online and they were ready at the end of the process ie. immediately.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:35 am
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future
Smile Re: tax file number - how do i get one??

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
www.ato.gov.au

That should do.

You need an address and it can't be a PO Box number.

We did ours online and they were ready at the end of the process ie. immediately.
nice one thanks!
BTW do you know if you can apply on-line if you are on a temp 457 visa?
Juanita

Last edited by Juanita; Jul 11th 2005 at 9:44 am. Reason: add new information
Old Jul 11th 2005, 12:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juanita
nice one thanks!
BTW do you know if you can apply on-line if you are on a temp 457 visa?
Juanita
Yes you can