Tax File Number

Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:59 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax File Number

Quick question here, how do you know if you have a "temporary resident" or "permanent resident" TFN and what are the implications when you are an employee?

Andrew
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax File Number

Originally Posted by andrew63
Quick question here, how do you know if you have a "temporary resident" or "permanent resident" TFN and what are the implications when you are an employee?

Andrew
They sent me a letter with the TFN, and status on it.
Implications are a vast difference in taxation rates!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:10 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They sent me a letter with the TFN, and status on it.
Implications are a vast difference in taxation rates!
Pollyana
Better or worse?
Logically, one would expect temp res to pay less into the coffers as the infrastructure beneffiting from the taxes would not be used by them for long.
Temps can't get child benefit, as an example.
But since when does logic have anything to do with it!

I need to know as I came here in 95 as a PR and got a TFN then.
Now I am a Temp as I left in 96 and came back Oct 2004 on a 457.
However, I am using my TFN from 95.
I was told by an authority that you can use the same TFN always. It never changes. So when you change from Temp to PR, you DONT get a new TFN, is what I was told.
Any experts out there to verify?

Andrew
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:16 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 457 but do not pay temporary tax resident rates (thank God)
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:16 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by andrew63
it!

I need to know as I came here in 95 as a PR and got a TFN then.
Now I am a Temp as I left in 96 and came back Oct 2004 on a 457.
However, I am using my TFN from 95.
I was told by an authority that you can use the same TFN always. It never changes. So when you change from Temp to PR, you DONT get a new TFN, is what I was told.
Any experts out there to verify?

Andrew
I have the same TFN now as I had on my WHV. I also expect to keep this number all the way through to citizenship! It shouldn't change, just the box you tick on your return/employment form does.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

I was told that you never change your TFN you just update the tax office of your details, visa/PR changes. I am also using the same TFN that I had on my working holiday visa and I informed them of my change of name etc. Apparently it's illegal to apply for a second TFN so stick with the one you've got!!

Stacey
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
I was told that you never change your TFN you just update the tax office of your details, visa/PR changes. I am also using the same TFN that I had on my working holiday visa and I informed them of my change of name etc. Apparently it's illegal to apply for a second TFN so stick with the one you've got!!

Stacey
As per yourself I just kept the same TFN and presented my provisional spouse visa to the ATO. They updated my status.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
As per yourself I just kept the same TFN and presented my provisional spouse visa to the ATO. They updated my status.
I've got the same TFN I got on my WHV. They introduced TFNs whilst I was out here in the late 80s so I reckon I've got one of the lowest numbers (starts with a "1")
Old Jan 20th 2005, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

mamichelle is on a distinguished road

There is a guide on the ATO website that gives all the taxation brackets. Also, if you were here on a WHV but have now changed status, you can still claim your tax back on the extra you paid as a temp resident on WHV.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Being on a temp visa & being temp resident for tax purposes are 2 completely different things. I think you will find that being on a temp visa (long term like 457 4 year & spouse etc) you are paying the same tax rates as PRs as you are considered a resident for tax purposes.

And yes, you keep the same TFN for life.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:01 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by mamichelle
There is a guide on the ATO website that gives all the taxation brackets. Also, if you were here on a WHV but have now changed status, you can still claim your tax back on the extra you paid as a temp resident on WHV.

Have you done this? I had a company contact me "willing to do it for me" but it seemed a bit dodgy, so I just left it I did mention it to the person I spoke to at the ATO and they didnt seem to sure either
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Being on a temp visa & being temp resident for tax purposes are 2 completely different things. I think you will find that being on a temp visa (long term like 457 4 year & spouse etc) you are paying the same tax rates as PRs as you are considered a resident for tax purposes.

And yes, you keep the same TFN for life.
I second this. Tax residence and PR status are two separate things - it's possible to be tax resident on a temporary visa, or you can be a citizen/PR and be non-resident for tax purposes.

And it's your tax residence status that determines your tax rates, not your visa.

The ATO website has examples of tax residence/non residence.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Have you done this? I had a company contact me "willing to do it for me" but it seemed a bit dodgy, so I just left it I did mention it to the person I spoke to at the ATO and they didnt seem to sure either
Taxback.com are in the same building as where I work and so I just went up and asked them. I haven't seen the money yet but I got a quote from them saying it should be about $2500 (bonus - it will go towards my visa/agent costs) It takes a while to process and now am just waiting for the taxback finance department to put the money into my account. You can have a look at their website www.taxback.com They are an international company and not dodgy - although I have heard of a lot of dodgy tax companies out there.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:50 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by mamichelle
Taxback.com are in the same building as where I work and so I just went up and asked them. I haven't seen the money yet but I got a quote from them saying it should be about $2500 (bonus - it will go towards my visa/agent costs) It takes a while to process and now am just waiting for the taxback finance department to put the money into my account. You can have a look at their website www.taxback.com They are an international company and not dodgy - although I have heard of a lot of dodgy tax companies out there.

Yep, thats the company that contacted me. They called me at home upto 10pm at night, at one stage it was almost every other night for a fortnight and during the day while I was at work. This was prior to last June when I didnt have the certificate they were asking me for to claim the tax back anyway. I asked them to leave me alone until June when I was due to be issued the certificate, and they still persisted on calling me. I felt like I was being stalked at one stage!!! :scared: I'd still be interested to know how you get on though, perhaps I was just unlucky (not to mention getting a bit p'ssed off!)
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Yep, thats the company that contacted me. They called me at home upto 10pm at night, at one stage it was almost every other night for a fortnight and during the day while I was at work. This was prior to last June when I didnt have the certificate they were asking me for to claim the tax back anyway. I asked them to leave me alone until June when I was due to be issued the certificate, and they still persisted on calling me. I felt like I was being stalked at one stage!!! :scared: I'd still be interested to know how you get on though, perhaps I was just unlucky (not to mention getting a bit p'ssed off!)
That is a bit weird.... How did they get your number? I know they do a lot of marketing but stalking........?? I'll let you know if all is as promised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.