Tax deductions

Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax deductions

Does anybody know if you can claim a tax deduction on migration expenses?

For example I secured a job in Oz before I came here - can I claim any of the cost of my move as an employment expense? Will the fact that the costs were incurred before I arrived in Oz rule them out (probably yes :-( )

I've had a look at the ATO website and can't find an answer, don't expect I will be able to but then again nothing ventured nothing gained........
Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Pheobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax deductions

Can't help answer this, but would be interested in any replies you do get as we are coming to Melbourne shortly (medicals this week). Hope it won't be long then.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty sure the answer is NO.

They (Oz taxman) would expect your employer to re imburse you and then claim that back as one of their expenses.

That is the only situation I've heard of anyway where the person is so valueable that they have picked up the moving costs.

SORRY