Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax deduction in Oz for bank charges.

Tax deduction in Oz for bank charges.

Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Tax deduction in Oz for bank charges.

Everyone who lives in Oz knows the banks charge an arm and a leg in bank charges generally.

But they also pay interest on these current accounts (I know it's a pittance) which you have to then declare to the tax office on your tax return to be slugged tax on this interest.

Now if they tax you on the interest surely the bank charges should be deductable as it's a cost to obtain the interest. I've been merrily claiming these deduction for a couple of years now and had no problems, just wondered if my reasoning is correct.

Don't tell me to move to HSBC because I like a bank I can get to if required and it only costs me $60 per year.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:30 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tax deduction in Oz for bank charges.

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Everyone who lives in Oz knows the banks charge an arm and a leg in bank charges generally.

But they also pay interest on these current accounts (I know it's a pittance) which you have to then declare to the tax office on your tax return to be slugged tax on this interest.

Now if they tax you on the interest surely the bank charges should be deductable as it's a cost to obtain the interest. I've been merrily claiming these deduction for a couple of years now and had no problems, just wondered if my reasoning is correct.

Don't tell me to move to HSBC because I like a bank I can get to if required and it only costs me $60 per year.
Certain Bank charges are claimable.

If your salary is paid into a bank account, then it is reasonable, and acceptable, to claim the costs associated with that bank account as a tax deduction.

I agree with offsetting bank charges against interest received also, and only paying tax on the NET earnings from that account However I am not sure how the ATO stands on that.

If you treat interest received as a business income, you should therefore be able to claim relevant business expenses against it.

Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

I agree with offsetting bank charges against interest received also, and only paying tax on the NET earnings from that account However I am not sure how the ATO stands on that.

If you treat interest received as a business income, you should therefore be able to claim relevant business expenses against it.
My total yearly interest is less than $5 on my current account and my costs are $60 so I use the other $55 as a loss against the rest of my income.

I also use this account for paying all my personnel bills so it's a bit of a mixed bag.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
My total yearly interest is less than $5 on my current account and my costs are $60 so I use the other $55 as a loss against the rest of my income.

I also use this account for paying all my personnel bills so it's a bit of a mixed bag.
If your wages go into that account, then it is an allowable deduction, whether you get any interest or not.

Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
If your wages go into that account, then it is an allowable deduction, whether you get any interest or not.
Useful info. Thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Great tip (though I'm with HSBC so haven't paid a penny
in charges yet).

Anymore unexpected tax deduction tips???
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by topcat
Great tip (though I'm with HSBC so haven't paid a penny
in charges yet).

Anymore unexpected tax deduction tips???
Keep your receipts for donations to registred charities. Anything over $2 per time is tax deductible.

If your children go to private school, and you pay a contribution to the school building fund, that is also tax deductible.