Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax credits still being paid - i am in oz!!

tax credits still being paid - i am in oz!!

Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:42 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about
Default tax credits still being paid - i am in oz!!

I told tax credit people that i was leaving the uk before i left and they said they would stop payment. They never stopped and continued to pay me. 2 weeks ago i called them to tell them again, that i was no longer in the uk. Again, they noted the change and said they would stop payment - they haven't. Instead they have reduced my payment.

What should i do and why would they continue to pay me, surely i'm not entitled to this money??
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: tax credits still being paid - i am in oz!!

Originally Posted by di90
I told tax credit people that i was leaving the uk before i left and they said they would stop payment. They never stopped and continued to pay me. 2 weeks ago i called them to tell them again, that i was no longer in the uk. Again, they noted the change and said they would stop payment - they haven't. Instead they have reduced my payment.

What should i do and why would they continue to pay me, surely i'm not entitled to this money??
Keep the money and accrue interest in the account. It may take them months or years to realise their mistake, but when they do they will demand every penny back. Unfortunately the tax credit people are terrible at noting changes and then claim the money back even when it's their account. At least you know it's a mistake so you can keep the money aside and earn interest on it until they realise their mistake.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by di90

Do not spend it just put it in a seperate account not to be touched then when they ask for it back you have it there to give to them as they did to me but I was in uk at time. If they do not ask for it back & keep paying it after you have informed them then treat it as a nest egg for your children for that is partly the purpose for it in the first place. The main thing is do not spend it just let it build untill a certain time has elapesed that then you know they cannot toch you for it (you will need to look up the legal side on how long to wait yourself)
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

fly2hi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Keep the money and accrue interest in the account. It may take them months or years to realise their mistake, but when they do they will demand every penny back. Unfortunately the tax credit people are terrible at noting changes and then claim the money back even when it's their account. At least you know it's a mistake so you can keep the money aside and earn interest on it until they realise their mistake.
Can confirm that. I have about 20 letters, revised demands etc, going back 18 months. They keep messing about with it so i'm waiting till i get the same demand at least 10 times. Then i might write to them and say i inadvertently understated my income for that year by two pounds and 50 pence. It will have to go back on the 'to be revised' pile and that will take another 6 months
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fly2hi
Can confirm that. I have about 20 letters, revised demands etc, going back 18 months. They keep messing about with it so i'm waiting till i get the same demand at least 10 times. Then i might write to them and say i inadvertently understated my income for that year by two pounds and 50 pence. It will have to go back on the 'to be revised' pile and that will take another 6 months

And then they will note your files that you have an overpayment of benefits, and when you claim your state pension they will deduct the overpaymnet from that!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

fly2hi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
And then they will note your files that you have an overpayment of benefits, and when you claim your state pension they will deduct the overpaymnet from that!
Expect so....you can run..but you just can't hide
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fly2hi
Expect so....you can run..but you just can't hide
They will!!! Believe me...LOL.............I worked there for over 20 years!!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
They will!!! Believe me...LOL.............I worked there for over 20 years!!
Just as I pointed out do not spend the money not untill you absolutly know it is your & then double check.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:39 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by eugene43
Just as I pointed out do not spend the money not untill you absolutly know it is your & then double check.
have no plans of spending it. But how do i check its mine and how long can this take?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I told them we were leaving about three months before we left and asked for it all to stop then. They continued paying, ignoring my letters, my phone calls (whilst still in the UK). They finally stopped paying but we then had a year of letters advising us they had underpaid us and to confirm our earnings. We then had a year of letters advising us they'd overpaid us and to confirm our earnings. I stopped replying after that. The letters I was sending in reply each time enclosed copies of every letter they'd sent and every reply I'd sent Not heard from them for a year and a half now but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start up again at some point.

They are complete incompetent morons. Don't spend the money. Don't reply to the letters until you get one that makes sense asking for the money back. Be aware though, that letter will probably accuse you of taking the money you weren't entitled to and try and make you feel like a thief. Return the money but don't get involved in any more correspondence.