Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax / Child Tax UK

Tax / Child Tax UK

Old May 5th 2006, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future
Default Tax / Child Tax UK

Ok we're going in July. I'll get paid up till August, so I'll have paid 5 months tax.
We get child tax credits but they have been mucked up for the last three years and are getting sorted out.

Do we need to inform Child Tax that we are going in July or should I wait for next April (new tax year) when I will also claim back over paid tax on my wage.

Just thought if we told them now it would get screwed up even more by their incompetence!

Ahhhh its all too much! Any help welcome.
Old May 5th 2006, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax / Child Tax UK

Originally Posted by khoardiroy
Ok we're going in July. I'll get paid up till August, so I'll have paid 5 months tax.
We get child tax credits but they have been mucked up for the last three years and are getting sorted out.

Do we need to inform Child Tax that we are going in July or should I wait for next April (new tax year) when I will also claim back over paid tax on my wage.

Just thought if we told them now it would get screwed up even more by their incompetence!

Ahhhh its all too much! Any help welcome.
When you leave the UK you will need to inform the tax office that you will no longer be resident in the UK.

You should get a tax rebate for the tax you have already paid. If you give the tax credit people a call and tell them you are moving out of the UK they will either sort it before you go or send it to you in Australia.

Here is the form you need to fill in when you leave the UK http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/fagp85.shtml
Old May 5th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WendyC
When you leave the UK you will need to inform the tax office that you will no longer be resident in the UK.

You should get a tax rebate for the tax you have already paid. If you give the tax credit people a call and tell them you are moving out of the UK they will either sort it before you go or send it to you in Australia.

Here is the form you need to fill in when you leave the UK http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/fagp85.shtml

Cheers
Old May 5th 2006, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khoardiroy
Cheers
I needed something sorting out with regards to our tax credit and when I told them we were leaving the UK soon, they sorted it out within a few weeks.