Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax on cheque account transactions

Tax on cheque account transactions

Old Apr 8th 2004, 7:37 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax on cheque account transactions

I see from the CBA pamphlets that NSW and Norfolk Island do not take tax on transactions made from a chequinf account.

Is this true or am I reading something in to the statement?

It has been a consistent theme here that all cheque account transactions attract tax, regardless.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 10:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The BAD (bank account debits tax). All states are due to phase out this tax although NSW is the only one to have done so already.

Most people I know do not use cheques anymore. I make all such payments by electronic banking and they could be made by phone banking. HSBC (much cheaper the CBA) offer a cheque book with their online savings account (at the moment the best value transaction account). I believe there is a charge per cheque but considering I need a cheque once every year having a separate cheqing account with monthly fees is daft.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 6:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
The BAD (bank account debits tax). All states are due to phase out this tax although NSW is the only one to have done so already.

Most people I know do not use cheques anymore. I make all such payments by electronic banking and they could be made by phone banking. HSBC (much cheaper the CBA) offer a cheque book with their online savings account (at the moment the best value transaction account). I believe there is a charge per cheque but considering I need a cheque once every year having a separate cheqing account with monthly fees is daft.
I have a HSBC online savings account with cheque book facility. I have the cheque book but never actually used a cheque yet.

I don't pay any fees for having this facility, but would pay a $1.00 per cheque fee if I used one.

Bank fees can be confusing as the States do different things.

We have one credit card taken out originally in NSW, and Stamp Duty isn't paid, but we have another taken out in QLD, where stamp duty is paid. The fact that QLD is our address on both cards doesn't seem to make a difference.

Old Apr 9th 2004, 10:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone - all seems to be clear now!

HSBC certainly seems to be the one to go for.

I know it's been threaded before, but can I open an HSBC a/c online and give a relation's address in SYD? We are going on the validation trip at the end of the month so it's too late to get everything posted back to the UK. We could then go into HSBC and formalise evrything.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 10:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Thanks everyone - all seems to be clear now!

HSBC certainly seems to be the one to go for.

I know it's been threaded before, but can I open an HSBC a/c online and give a relation's address in SYD? We are going on the validation trip at the end of the month so it's too late to get everything posted back to the UK. We could then go into HSBC and formalise evrything.
I see no reason why you cannot do that.

I was in Sydney when I opened my online account, but gave an address in QLD and my mobile phone number, and collected my card etc in Sydney area.

Old Apr 9th 2004, 7:30 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I see no reason why you cannot do that.

I was in Sydney when I opened my online account, but gave an address in QLD and my mobile phone number, and collected my card etc in Sydney area.
Thanks - think we'll try that.