Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax breaks for migrants to buy property?

Tax breaks for migrants to buy property?

Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:21 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax breaks for migrants to buy property?

Imagine how popular this would be with Australians ...:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...667117461.html

Best regards.
Old Jul 17th 2002, 10:37 am
ndaltonb

Default Re: Tax breaks for migrants to buy property?

Hi Alan,

Whole issue raises some interesting points.

1. Immigrants seem to be seen as a separate class of resident or else why not provide incentives for all Aus residents.
What about providing incentives for anyone who might move to Sydney, i.e. both Aus citizens from outside Sydney and immigrants.
What about providing incentives for maturing sydneysiders to move further afield?

2. As article states at the end, "In a democracy, we cannot legislate to send people to a particular place. What we need is a new approach to immigration, which addresses immigrant settlement, population movement and regional development." but you can't force people to stay in one area once they have PR. Policing it would be a nightmare.

I'd be interested to see what % of the total influx to Sydney is immigrants and what jobs in the labour force they pick up. I really can't believe it is 100%!!

A thorny problem that isn't going to go away.

Nigel db

Old Jul 17th 2002, 10:41 am
ndaltonb

Oh yes and Aussies would quite rightly be somewhat p***ed off.

Nigel db

Old Jul 17th 2002, 8:20 pm
Robert Edwards

Hi Nigel, Please don't get it into your head that Immigrants are seen as a separate
class of resident, for your info Australia has a First Home Owners Scheme where First
Home Purchasers as given a cash incentive to purchase their first home, over the past
12 months this amount was doubled for approximately 12 months and resulted in a
massive increase in home purchasers for those who would normally have had to wait to
save more of their deposit themselves. The statement by the NSW Premier Mr Carr
relating to cash incentives would be nice but is it sustainable? and why just to
Sydney outer regions? he is searching for a way to encourage more people to move to
the outer suburbs rather than the inner or central suburbs. As for incentives for
"maturing" Sydneysiders to move further afield well they are already in place that
many of them are sitting on properties that in relative terms are worth considerable
sums and can "at their will" move, buy a new home in a nice establishing area or even
move North to warmer climates and be left with a substantial little nestegg as
well.......many do this.It is true though you cannot legislate as to where people go.
Cheers for now.

Rob Edwards www.australianaustralia.com

"ndaltonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Old Jul 17th 2002, 9:20 pm
Robert Edwards

I think we all want to be treated equally, I for one don't want our immigrants
treated differently, do you?

> Oh yes and Aussies would quite rightly be somewhat p***ed off.

Old Jul 18th 2002, 8:31 pm
ndaltonb

Hi Rob,

Sorry, my post wasn't clear enough. Hands in air, my fault.

I just felt the tone of the article seemed to put forward the view that the whole influx to Sydney was from immigrants and therefore the proposal was to put in place tax incentives to make other areas more attractive just for immigrants. My argument was that this "immigrants only" premise seemed a bit narrow sighted andf thought the more realistic approach to take was "Sydney is overcrowded and growing to fast, how can they get people (i.e. not just immigrants but everyone) to look elsewhere.

Aplogies for using the word class, I really should have used "segment".

Agree, why just to outer suburbs? Sydney will still need the infrastructure to support the outer suburbs.

Once again wrong usage, by "maturing", I meant people just starting to enter the workforce and who have been up to now, living at home. But good point in that the "empty nesters" don't really need any incentives. What about the young un's? First Home Owners Scheme sounds like a good idea for young un's (wish I had had a scheme like that). Also, it seems odd that as an immigrant, I can access that scheme even though I've owned before, but not in Aus.

Fully agree ALL should be treated equally which was why annoyed that incentives seemed to be for immigrants only

I tell you, I would not like to be the politician trying to push this boat forward!!

nigel db

Originally posted by Robert Edwards
Hi Nigel, Please don't get it into your head that Immigrants are seen as a separate
class of resident, for your info Australia has a First Home Owners Scheme where First
Home Purchasers as given a cash incentive to purchase their first home, over the past
12 months this amount was doubled for approximately 12 months and resulted in a
massive increase in home purchasers for those who would normally have had to wait to
save more of their deposit themselves. The statement by the NSW Premier Mr Carr
relating to cash incentives would be nice but is it sustainable? and why just to
Sydney outer regions? he is searching for a way to encourage more people to move to
the outer suburbs rather than the inner or central suburbs. As for incentives for
"maturing" Sydneysiders to move further afield well they are already in place that
many of them are sitting on properties that in relative terms are worth considerable
sums and can "at their will" move, buy a new home in a nice establishing area or even
move North to warmer climates and be left with a substantial little nestegg as
well.......many do this.It is true though you cannot legislate as to where people go.
Cheers for now.

Rob Edwards www.australianaustralia.com

Old Jul 18th 2002, 9:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Nigel,

I think that anyone from the UK might be attracted by the prospect of a tax break to
buy property, but when they see what's west of Dubbo they might wonder if its worth
anything at all. Australia has a lot of land and housing which isn't worth the
solicitor's conveyancing fees. I am sure Bob Carr wants to sell that kind of
property first

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au ndaltonb wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >Oh yes and Aussies would quite rightly be somewhat p***ed off.
    >
    >Nigel db
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >ndaltonb
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 19th 2002, 2:20 am
Robert Edwards

It's all cool this end Nigel, no one can possibly blame an influx of immigrants for
the surge of people moving into the Sydney area that's for sure.....we agree on all
points......cheers "ndaltonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > Sorry, my post wasn't clear enough.