Wikiposts

tax

Old Sep 6th 2003, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tax

des came home from the pub the other night with a rumour that tax is going to be have to paid on profits u get from selling your house has anybody else heard of this

hope not, bad enough trying to sell with prospect of 90 ft mobile phone mast due to be erected only yards from the house!!

arlene

was smug in making a profit from the house, smile now wiped off our faces
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:41 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Not sure on that one.

I think what they mean is Capital Gains Tax which is also referred to as the rich man's tax. I believe it's payable on the sale of an investment such as a shares or a business. I'm not entirely sure if it applies to the sale of a home.

If so, it could be quite a sting for us too............about 30%
Old Sep 6th 2003, 12:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax

Originally posted by arlene
des came home from the pub the other night with a rumour that tax is going to be have to paid on profits u get from selling your house has anybody else heard of this

hope not, bad enough trying to sell with prospect of 90 ft mobile phone mast due to be erected only yards from the house!!

arlene

was smug in making a profit from the house, smile now wiped off our faces
Right, this is my understanding of the situation.

If it is your main residence in the UK you don't have to pay CGT when you sell it in the UK. If it isn't your main residence then you do.

If you keep it on and rent it out when you emigrate (to Oz anyway, don't know about NZ) then you sell it within 12 months of arriving you don't have to pay CGT in Oz.

If you sell it after 12 months in Oz you pay CGT on the amount it has gone up since you moved out. The CGT you have to pay is about 23% of the amount it went up.