Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tattooing scene in Australia??

Tattooing scene in Australia??

Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

SuziTattoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tattooing scene in Australia??

Hiya - I'm a 1st time user of the forum - just stumbled across it when I was searching the web for immigration to Oz. You seem like a friendly bunch so here goes with my possibly unusual question!!

I'm really into my body art and was wondering what the tattooing scene is like down under (possibly Brisbane)? I'm a female tattoo artist (among other things!) and would love to carry on my career in Australia - BUT I've heard from others in the business that tattooing is still very male dominated in Australia and that I may not be greeted very well being a gal! I've tattooed in the UK and USA with no problems and was hoping that it would be the same 'down under'.

My husband and I are hopefully setting out before May 4th 2004 (before our police checks and medicals expire) - just waiting on FBI police checks (which they didn't let us know we should have had done until a month ago!!) Heading for Brisbane we think but would love to hear from others (tattooed or not!!) who have made the move with any tips or advice!!! Thanks a lot, Suzi
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:03 pm
WBB

Default Re: Tattooing scene in Australia??

Originally posted by SuziTattoo
Hiya - I'm a 1st time user of the forum - just stumbled across it when I was searching the web for immigration to Oz. You seem like a friendly bunch so here goes with my possibly unusual question!!

I'm really into my body art and was wondering what the tattooing scene is like down under (possibly Brisbane)? I'm a female tattoo artist (among other things!) and would love to carry on my career in Australia - BUT I've heard from others in the business that tattooing is still very male dominated in Australia and that I may not be greeted very well being a gal! I've tattooed in the UK and USA with no problems and was hoping that it would be the same 'down under'.

My husband and I are hopefully setting out before May 4th 2004 (before our police checks and medicals expire) - just waiting on FBI police checks (which they didn't let us know we should have had done until a month ago!!) Heading for Brisbane we think but would love to hear from others (tattooed or not!!) who have made the move with any tips or advice!!! Thanks a lot, Suzi
i think the tattoo scene down under is run by the biker gangs, i dont think they would take too kindly to a british gal opening up for business if you know what i mean.

good luck though.

Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i think the tattoo scene down under is run by the biker gangs, i dont think they would take too kindly to a british gal opening up for business if you know what i mean.

good luck though.

hiya - i had heard that it was kind of biker-ish from some people who have been there, but others have said that there's also a new breed of tattoo artist up and coming (it's probably the same as the UK scene at the moment!).

not really thinking about opening own studio - just yet anyway!! - just looking for a job or guest spot . thanx for yr advice, Suz
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

And consider that biker gangs have no hesitation in knocking off the competition. They also control elements of the drugs trade in certain areas.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:52 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly

good luck though.

shame...I would have come to you for a tattoo! Dont like male tattoo artists for some reason, prefer a women to do the job.
(just read that back and it sounds very odd!!!)

good luck...perhaps you could be the one to break the mould!!

sue
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
shame...I would have come to you for a tattoo! Dont like male tattoo artists for some reason, prefer a women to do the job.
(just read that back and it sounds very odd!!!)

good luck...perhaps you could be the one to break the mould!!

sue
Sue, that's what I'm hoping for, that there will be some girlies out there who prefer the feminine touch (I know some guys who prefer that too!! )

I'm off to do some research on the web to try to convince myself that there's some gals being successful out there in tattoo world down under! Thanx Suzi
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by bondipom
And consider that biker gangs have no hesitation in knocking off the competition. They also control elements of the drugs trade in certain areas.
Yeah, I have heard of shop fronts being put through in the UK when a new studio opens up in town - what a nasty business to be involved in, eh? But it's so much fun!!!!!!! People paying for pain:scared: What more could a girl ask for!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SuziTattoo
Sue, that's what I'm hoping for, that there will be some girlies out there who prefer the feminine touch (I know some guys who prefer that too!! )

I'm off to do some research on the web to try to convince myself that there's some gals being successful out there in tattoo world down under! Thanx Suzi
I think you would be best off starting your own business and employing girlies. Do your marketing in the girlies mags and I reckon you might be onto one of the business ideas that works because not many are doing it and you can charge that extra that women like to pay to feel "special".

Just take some security advice.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

laverda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tatoo

dont care who does mine as long as the fin article is good one
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:25 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

I'm in Brisbane... My local tattoo / piercing place has a chick working in it and I have no problems letting her jab me for piercings! She's actually got a bit of a rep in the area for being good on the piercing side of things... don't know anyone whos been tattoo'd by her though...

If you're planning on setting up a business, as long as you set up in the inner urban circle, you shouldn't have any problems with gangs / bikies (unless you are planning for the Fortitude Valley, which I would STRONGLY recommend you stay away from as it has a rep for drugs / gangs etc). Just make the place look clean and sterile, like you would expect out of a tattoo place.

Oh yeah, theres some laws you would have to look into first as well... I'm not sure what they are but I know they exist. Mainly about age I believe... Until recently, it was legal for you to tattoo an 8 year old without parental concent...
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by gavo
Hey

I'm in Brisbane... My local tattoo / piercing place has a chick working in it and I have no problems letting her jab me for piercings! She's actually got a bit of a rep in the area for being good on the piercing side of things... don't know anyone whos been tattoo'd by her though...

If you're planning on setting up a business, as long as you set up in the inner urban circle, you shouldn't have any problems with gangs / bikies (unless you are planning for the Fortitude Valley, which I would STRONGLY recommend you stay away from as it has a rep for drugs / gangs etc). Just make the place look clean and sterile, like you would expect out of a tattoo place.

Oh yeah, theres some laws you would have to look into first as well... I'm not sure what they are but I know they exist. Mainly about age I believe... Until recently, it was legal for you to tattoo an 8 year old without parental concent...
Hey Gavo, you've really cheered me up - I've got a good reputation in the Midlands and get my stuff published in Skin Deep the UK tat mag - so hopefully there'll be opportunities for me to do the same in OZ - really considering Brisbane - how long have you been there and what do you think of it so far??
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

From an Adelaide perspective - there are many fine female tattoo artists about. My finest tatt was done by an award winning female tattooist here. Most tattoo/piercing studios have both male and female artists and about in my experiemce most peiercers are female.

I always use a female piercer! But only two of my 7 tatts were done by women - one not good and the other brilliant. I hear there is an excellent female tattooist at Xanchies in Morphett Vale.

While there is still the bikie connection with a lot of tattoo studios it is not as prominent or as intimidating as people think. There are many independent studios opening now. Incidentally the same 'culture' exists with sex shops, sort of a 'you gotta be a member of the club to open and run one ' mentality.

I think tattooing of women/girls is much more widely accepted here than in most countries - seems just about every woman has at least one!

Oh and most major cities have tatt shows once a year too.

Last edited by wizzywozza; Jan 5th 2004 at 8:42 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

You should try New Zealand. Loads of people have tattoos but they don't look too hot. The Maoris have a long tradition of tattooing and some are tattooed all over.

Not into the scene so am a bit naive.

Roger
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by wizzywozza
From an Adelaide perspective - there are many fine female tattoo artists about. My finest tatt was done by an award winning female tattooist here. Most tattoo/piercing studios have both male and female artists and about in my experiemce most peiercers are female.

I always use a female piercer! But only two of my 7 tatts were done by women - one not good and the other brilliant. I hear there is an excellent female tattooist at Xanchies in Morphett Vale.

While there is still the bikie connection with a lot of tattoo studios it is not as prominent or as intimidating as people think. There are many independent studios opening now. Incidentally the same 'culture' exists with sex shops, sort of a 'you gotta be a member of the club to open and run one ' mentality.

I think tattooing of women/girls is much more widely accepted here than in most countries - seems just about every woman has at least one!

Oh and most major cities have tatt shows once a year too.
Thanxs, that's good to know about the shows - I've just worked a convention in the Uk - had a great time! Seems like tattooing in Oz is pretty much the same as here in the UK - ie. there's not many female artists, but we're starting to make a break through and most people are quite accepting as long as the finished product looks good!