Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania, what's it like then?

Tasmania, what's it like then?

Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania

Been several thread on here in the past with info if you do a search. Its a beautiful island, fantastic scenery, good climate - the only issue really is the employment one.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Triumph3
My Melbourne/Perth based relatives would take the mickey about it because of the amount of 'bogans' there. But my rellies fell in to the chav bracket and I'd rather live with bogans than chavs any day.
I thought bogans were chavs? What's the distinction? (For my own elucidation)

Originally Posted by Krums
We have been looking at housing and for a comfortable 3 bed house with garden and large rooms we are looking at 300 pounds per week (1200 per month). This is better than here.
Just to check - do you mean $300 per week? Cos £300 pw would be crazy expensive for small town Aus with low employment levels
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If you going to both have decent paying jobs in Tasmania your likely to end up better off than any other part of Australia. Reason being housing and electricity are so cheap. From reading these boards over the past few years, Tasmania seems to have less complaints from people from migrants, so it's satisfaction level seems to be high. The other point that struck me personally is it feels far less remote than you would be led to believe. It's very close to Melbourne and easily accessible from it's incredibly easy to transit, well serviced quiet, airport terminals.

Far far better off there than almost all of the provincial towns on the mainland in any State, Another factor Hobart and Launceston have more to offer in choice and diversity than most of the mainland provincial towns. So go for it 100 pct.

Finally Hobart is even prettier than Sydney... which gives it a hell of a Wow factor.... Whoops one more final... Almost certainly the best food in Aus.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 8th 2012 at 11:04 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

curlytops is on a distinguished road

JohnnTracy have you secured jobs? I'm a nurse, it took me a year to get a permanent contract at the Royal Hobart, there has been a massive reduction in job opportunities. All, and I mean ALL, new contracts have to be approved by the CEO!!!
If you're both not earning a decent wage then the cost of living is as bad as anywhere else in Oz.
Electricity is NOT cheaper. $700 last quarter, & we heat with a wood fire.
Unfortunately, despite having a lovely house In a great spot, a move back to WA may be on the cards for us
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curlytops
JohnnTracy have you secured jobs? I'm a nurse, it took me a year to get a permanent contract at the Royal Hobart, there has been a massive reduction in job opportunities. All, and I mean ALL, new contracts have to be approved by the CEO!!!
If you're both not earning a decent wage then the cost of living is as bad as anywhere else in Oz.
Electricity is NOT cheaper. $700 last quarter, & we heat with a wood fire.
Unfortunately, despite having a lovely house In a great spot, a move back to WA may be on the cards for us
You need to look at this.... I've got this information from very reliable sources on the Whirlpool forums. Because Electricity is cheaper to generate in Tasmania courtesy of the Hydro schemes. It's far far cheaper to use Electrcity...especially for heating and cooling and Hot water than anywhere else in Aus.

Saying it's 700 a quarter is ridiculous as it comes down to the price per Kwh... much like comparing the price of petrol per litre and dring a big car as everyone uses electrcity in a different way.

House prices are at least 20 to 30 pct cheaper in Tasmania than anywhere else on the mainland.... other prices are very similar groceries etc etc.

http://www.auroraenergy.com.au/your-...s-and-charges/

I can get very technical on this subject.... however Lighting and general use of electrcity in a household make up less than 20 pct of the cost... with Heating, cooling, cooking and hotwater making up the other 80 pct.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 9th 2012 at 12:48 am.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Johnntracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies guys. Neither of us have jobs there yet, although I've applied for a few. I'm not too worried about working in a gov hospital (although that's what I'm doing now)! I've applied to the red cross and other private health companies. Just wondering where the best place to live is. The jobs I've applied for are mainly in/near Hobart. What is launceston like?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania, what's it like then?

Hi we have been living here in Tas for the last almost 5 years. It is beautiful, the people are lovely. I am quite sure your wife will have no trouble getting work here, although I have no idea of pay for nurses. The weather is sooo changeable, this winter has been very very mild, yet last winter was shockingly cold! Last summer was glorious and autumn was just gorgeous! But you just never know how it's going to be, each season seems to be different from year to year. The summer before last was shocking. Two weeks ago we were basking in 23c sun, this week we are getting blown away in freezing cold wind, yesterday it snowed! So surfice to say weather here is crazy!! We live semi rural about 40 mins out of Hobart. There is a big north south divide here, I think both north and south are a great as each other, but for different reasons. The north is certainly greener, they get a lot more rain. The south tends to get warmer weather, but watch out for a southerly breeze, it gets pretty chilly! It's nice that we aren't too far away from the city, but are far enough away for a quiet country lifestyle. I think we get the best of both worlds here.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Two threads merged as both current
Old Oct 7th 2012, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Lived there for 3.5 years but had to relocate to Perth (ick) would prefer Tassie.
We have a home for sale in the Huon Valley (I've just put it up in the classified's section here). There is a Top Class Nursing Home 10 minutes from the property - It is one of the best rated homes in Australia and they are always looking for Nurses.

I found Summer's hot in Tassie, but you get a hot day and then the next one will be milder, not like here in Perth where it can be over 40 degrees for ten days straight.

I loved the Winters but I think that is because I grew up in Brisbane and then lived in Perth for twelve years so cold foggy winter's were just beautiful for me.

There is a Catholic School in Cygnet, the bus runs past our house, there fees are very good. Also good tiny rural school in Franklin and Bus to Hobart (45mins) run's past our door as well.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The other point that struck me personally is it feels far less remote than you would be led to believe. It's very close to Melbourne and easily accessible from it's incredibly easy to transit, well serviced quiet, airport terminals.

So bloody true!!! We are back in Perth and it's so far awaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy

cooooo-eeeee
Old Oct 8th 2012, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Krums is an unknown quantity at this point

So we have now arrived in Tasmania and staying in Launceston for the last 3 weeks. What can I say? Pace of life is slow compared to London however I find that you have time to do alot of thinhs you couldn't do in England. Work finishes at 5.30 and your home by 5.45. NO traffic on road. After dinner can take a nice walk around town. Weather can be cold as was Saturday when it got to 9C in day and 2C at night however on Sunday it was 19C and very warm (Had to leave jacket and jumper at home). Got to be careful however as sun is low and can get sun burnt quick therefore sunblock advisable.
Food is good. Tasmania has the best food going. Plenty of places to eat. If you want to buy groceries there are to 2 main supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths. Groceries can be bought from from farmers markets, so they are very fresh and cheaper than the shops.
Living costs such as renting a house/flat is different to England.
We rented a resonable two bed flat in outskirts of London for 275 rising to 300 per week just before we left. In Tasmania I have just rented a large 3bed house with for equivalent of 310. Accordingly land is abundant therefore living in space is possible.
Electricty is cheaper than England 200 per quarter. Most modern houses have heat pumps so heating powered by electricity gets circulated.
Overall even though its still early days I feel we will be happy here. Pace of life is more comfortable than England.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

I've got an interview for a job in Burnie! Can anyone tell me what it's like?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

carina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the rough

Hi, Did you have the interview in Burnie?
Its a while since I've been on here, I'm living near Devonport, so not too far
from Burnie. I have been there twice, seems okay- a bit industrial, but a nice coastal drive to reach it. You've probably got a job now ayway so wont say anymore about Burnie. Hope its going well for you.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Yes, got the job in Burnie, but ended up taking a job offer in Launceston. We have been here a couple of weeks now, so far so good! Living out in Legana, lovely rural location. Been busy with the move and new jobs so haven't really explored yet, any suggestions?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Jobs are scarce and the pay will be shit.

A great place to retire though.
Keep up your negative posts about my chosen home state! You're keeping all the *****s out who might want to come here!
<<edited by moderator>>

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 27th 2013 at 2:18 pm. Reason: Please do not try and get round the swear filter, its there for a reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.