Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is tasmania a good place to live??

Wikiposts

is tasmania a good place to live??

Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:48 am
come on you reds!!!!!

eilish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is tasmania a good place to live??

finally decided today to go down the stni route. applied to tasmania for nomination and just waiting for paperwork.

before i do anything i wanted to know what tasmania was like to live there. we have 2 children aged 15 & 8 so need to think about them as well

has anybody emigrated there? and if so why did you choose tasmania?

would be really interested to find these things out before i put pen to paper.

thanks
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is tasmania a good place to live??

Originally posted by eilish
finally decided today to go down the stni route. applied to tasmania for nomination and just waiting for paperwork.

before i do anything i wanted to know what tasmania was like to live there. we have 2 children aged 15 & 8 so need to think about them as well

has anybody emigrated there? and if so why did you choose tasmania?

would be really interested to find these things out before i put pen to paper.

thanks
well they say that Tasmanians all have 2 heads.....so maybe it's like the IOM....

Seriously, never been but have friends there. Climate is cooler than mainland Oz, wet and windy on one side of the island and drier on the other. That's all I can contribute, I'm afraid. Oh, and about 20 flights a day to the mainland.

Good luck.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Hobart for 3 months.

I'm not sure I'd want to live anywhere else on the island. But that depends on whether you enjoy remote living, rural etc. Launceston was also a nice little city but we didn't spend more than a few days there.

Both Launceston and Hobart have airport connections to the Australian mainland.

Hobart was a great experience. Very laid-back place. Has everything we needed. The Saturday market is the best in the world.

Folks were very friendly. Really nice people.

Lovely summer. Lacks the blistering heat and humidity of parts of the mainland. Didn't stick around for winter.

I think a lot of kids move off to the mainland after a while. More work opportunities.

Tassie is one really gorgeous island. Wonderful variety of terrain and geography. Large number of World Heritage sites and reserves.

Nice bit of history too. Site of one of the biggest, baddest penal settlements in the 1800s. Lovely architecture.

It all depends on what you need from where you live.