Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:08 am
Old Member

TassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to all
Talking Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by travelbug
Not a lot to read in the December issue is there? I like reading those articles just to see how people have got on / what profession they are etc - but to be honest i dont think they really give you much information - well nothing we dont know already... Nice to quench the Oz thirst every now and then though with nice piccies in the magazine!
I agree, I recall getting a Tasmanian Life magazine while there which focussed on just Tassie ( funnily enough) might be worth scouting around the internet to see if you can get a copy...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:08 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Hi Sam I think they definitely got their figures wrong! I reckon it should have been $450,000 or thereabouts for the average Hobart house price. Especially near the CBD which is where the houses they showed alongside were based.
Glad people are agreeing with the pro's listed by that family though, and i guess the con's are things we are expecting already anyway (ie, shops / possible lower wages).
Andy received an Email this week from one of the companies he visited when we were over last year. We've kind of kept in touch with this guy and he was telling us that their company seems to be doing well still and have a couple of years work lined up - so no sign of recession hitting that particular business anyway....which is good news for Andy/us. He did say that Tasmania seems to be weathering the financial problems that some parts of the mainland & around the world are facing quite well..which is nice to know, although i know that's just his opinion on things...

Sounds like a long bike ride that Angus did , is he used to riding long distances like that? You guys sound like you're having lovely weather - i'm a bit jealous there....
I made a comment yesterday about being fed up with our miserable weather over here - and one friend (who is also waiting to emigrate - but to Perth) came back and said what makes it worse is knowing that summer weather is just a plane ride away!!!! How cruel is that
Anyway, seeing as i dont have any nice weather to cheer me up i'll have to make do with alcohol tonight - as i'm out this evening with about a dozen friends going to a "Luther Vandross" tribute night at a restaurant in a town called Billericay here in Essex, 3 course meal, singer, dancing etc - so should be fun i hope!
Hope you're feeling fighting fit with your keep fit regime!?

Cathy
Hi Cathy

there is an article here about property prices, seems the median for Hobart is 320k.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article...ania-news.html

re the company emailing you, hey that is good news they do keep saying on the news that Tas is doing ok, dont know how true it is? will there be a job offer from this company?

OMG I used to love Luther Vandross hope you had a great time
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TassieBear
I agree, I recall getting a Tasmanian Life magazine while there which focussed on just Tassie ( funnily enough) might be worth scouting around the internet to see if you can get a copy...
I'll have a look later to see if i can find this.... thanks!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Possums
Hi Cathy

there is an article here about property prices, seems the median for Hobart is 320k.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article...ania-news.html

re the company emailing you, hey that is good news they do keep saying on the news that Tas is doing ok, dont know how true it is? will there be a job offer from this company?

OMG I used to love Luther Vandross hope you had a great time
Hi that's good about the median price then - better than what i imagined that magazine had in mind!
Yes, i think when Andy hears from this guy he's always quite positive about work prospects. He is the guy that we'd spoken to about a year before our trip over last year. He originally offered to sponsor Andy for his visa - but we didn't need any sponsorship for our application so we turned down his offer but stayed in touch asking bits and pieces about life on the Island.
He has always said that he would have work for Andy. When we had our house up for sale he sent Andy an EMail saying that he already had more than a year's worth of work lined up that would interest Andy - but we haven't been able to make it over, but he said in this week's Email that they are continuing to be busy so im sure that situation would still stand. I think when we finally do arrive it will possibly be this guy that Andy goes to see again, because he did say that if he had nothing at that time (which he doubted) he would put Andy in contact with another company they have dealings with who he knows would be interested in employing him.... That's the thing with not having a definite arrival date - i dont think anyone would offer a definite job without one!
But workwise we feel quite positive about Andy getting work - just not sure whether we want to go North or South!

Had a good time last night at the Luther night....Meal was lovely and the singer very good - although he looked NOTHING like Luther himself!
Feeling very tired this morning as Jared is playing us up by waking VERY early every morning....going to hit me this afternoon when i go to work - especially as i need to work 6 hours from my start time later as i want to avoid working friday so that i can go out...

Hope you're well. What have you been up to ?

Cathy
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:22 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Hi that's good about the median price then - better than what i imagined that magazine had in mind!
Yes, i think when Andy hears from this guy he's always quite positive about work prospects. He is the guy that we'd spoken to about a year before our trip over last year. He originally offered to sponsor Andy for his visa - but we didn't need any sponsorship for our application so we turned down his offer but stayed in touch asking bits and pieces about life on the Island.
He has always said that he would have work for Andy. When we had our house up for sale he sent Andy an EMail saying that he already had more than a year's worth of work lined up that would interest Andy - but we haven't been able to make it over, but he said in this week's Email that they are continuing to be busy so im sure that situation would still stand. I think when we finally do arrive it will possibly be this guy that Andy goes to see again, because he did say that if he had nothing at that time (which he doubted) he would put Andy in contact with another company they have dealings with who he knows would be interested in employing him.... That's the thing with not having a definite arrival date - i dont think anyone would offer a definite job without one!
But workwise we feel quite positive about Andy getting work - just not sure whether we want to go North or South!

Had a good time last night at the Luther night....Meal was lovely and the singer very good - although he looked NOTHING like Luther himself!
Feeling very tired this morning as Jared is playing us up by waking VERY early every morning....going to hit me this afternoon when i go to work - especially as i need to work 6 hours from my start time later as i want to avoid working friday so that i can go out...

Hope you're well. What have you been up to ?

Cathy
Hiya well if he makes an offer then reckon you should take him up on it, good to know you've something to come over to, and if you just rent intially then you can move on if area is not right or the work isnt what you thought etc.

glad you had a good time sounds like my kind of thing. Not been up to much well went to see Kevin Bloody Wilson on Sat night in Devonport then went over to Stanley on Sunday had a really crap meal in a cafe

went to a hypnotist to stop smoking on mon night, not had a fag but climbing the walls going to try drugs.. Champix ...if I cant hold out!

Weather has been fantastic in the 30's been for a paddle in the sea tonight, still not warm enough to go in fully, though lots of kids in there
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya well if he makes an offer then reckon you should take him up on it, good to know you've something to come over to, and if you just rent intially then you can move on if area is not right or the work isnt what you thought etc.

glad you had a good time sounds like my kind of thing. Not been up to much well went to see Kevin Bloody Wilson on Sat night in Devonport then went over to Stanley on Sunday had a really crap meal in a cafe

went to a hypnotist to stop smoking on mon night, not had a fag but climbing the walls going to try drugs.. Champix ...if I cant hold out!

Weather has been fantastic in the 30's been for a paddle in the sea tonight, still not warm enough to go in fully, though lots of kids in there

Yeah, you're probably right on the work front/renting front, although the company in Ulverstone more than hinted that they'd offer Andy a job as well .... I think we'll have to toss a coin when we're in a position to come over as to where to start off! Heads North, tails South!

Really enjoyed last night - sometimes wonder how many more nights out i might have with certain groups of friends now.... does make me sad when i think about it - wish when you emigrated you could take the people you care about with you! Although i know that's always everyone's downside to moving so far away.

Sorry to hear you had a crap meal...i wont tell you what i ate last night then!

Good luck with stopping smoking. Does the Australian Government have schemes like over here to help people quit ?

The weather sounds really good over there for all you guys at the moment.... Not that i'm a bit jealous, 30 degrees, paddling in the sea...... no not for me that at all (she says going la la la with her fingers in her ears!)

Enjoy the sun! just think you have a couple of months of it to look forward to you lucky devils you.... x

Cathy
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:51 am
(^v^)

Yeah, you're probably right on the work front/renting front, although the company in Ulverstone more than hinted that they'd offer Andy a job as well .... I think we'll have to toss a coin when we're in a position to come over as to where to start off! Heads North, tails South!

Really enjoyed last night - sometimes wonder how many more nights out i might have with certain groups of friends now.... does make me sad when i think about it - wish when you emigrated you could take the people you care about with you! Although i know that's always everyone's downside to moving so far away.

Sorry to hear you had a crap meal...i wont tell you what i ate last night then!

Good luck with stopping smoking. Does the Australian Government have schemes like over here to help people quit ?

The weather sounds really good over there for all you guys at the moment.... Not that i'm a bit jealous, 30 degrees, paddling in the sea...... no not for me that at all (she says going la la la with her fingers in her ears!)

Enjoy the sun! just think you have a couple of months of it to look forward to you lucky devils you.... x

Cathy
well you know I'm a northern girl so it would be Ulverstone for me

I know its very hard leaving people, especially when you are used to a good social life, something your going to have to get used to Cathy its not easy

erm yeah I think there is something from the gov re stopping there is a new drug called Champix Colin has stopped with them.

not as hot today only about 27 yeah will be a shock to go back to UK at xmas then onto Singapore!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

well you know I'm a northern girl so it would be Ulverstone for me

I know its very hard leaving people, especially when you are used to a good social life, something your going to have to get used to Cathy its not easy

erm yeah I think there is something from the gov re stopping there is a new drug called Champix Colin has stopped with them.

not as hot today only about 27 yeah will be a shock to go back to UK at xmas then onto Singapore!
Hi Not as hot today then - but still hot enough! I'd swap it for what we have at the moment. That will be a shock coming to UK and then back to the heat/humidity of Singapore... Will be a good trip for you though
Good that Colin has managed to give up smoking using that stuff - you should give it a go as well then! Good Luck!
I know it'll be hard when 1st arrive and know nobody - but i'm quite positive about that really....Andy has joked before that i can wait for a bus and become friends with someone at the bus-stop - so hopefully i'll be ok...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:54 pm
Old Member

TassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to all
Talking Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Hi ...Andy has joked before that i can wait for a bus and become friends with someone at the bus-stop - so hopefully i'll be ok...
To be fair you can actually do that, we met our Tassie friends on a beach an hours later was enjoying a BBQ at their house and another hour late on his speed boat pulling a donut....
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:19 am
(^v^)

I know it'll be hard when 1st arrive and know nobody - but i'm quite positive about that really....Andy has joked before that i can wait for a bus and become friends with someone at the bus-stop - so hopefully i'll be ok...
No you wont have any problem here and if you are that kind of person you are more than half way there I just meant its hard leaving people behind thats what you have to get used to

I talk to anyone who will listen and those who wont
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

After an almost disaterous house buying experience (long story, I won't bore you all with it, but we nearly ended up with a house with no building approval and long list of problems) we have now had our offer for another house accpeted and as long as there are no concerns with the house inspection on this one, we should be in for Christmas

It's a new build in Margate, not what we were looking for at all but it ticks most of the boxes, represents good value for money and will give us, particularly the children, somewhere to call home and settle down. What's more we can just move in and there's nothing to do apart from putting up curtain rails etc, oh and to paint over the awful pink that the builder has used in a couple of rooms, goodness knows why he picked that colour!

The garden is anothe matter, it has not been finished so there's plenty for us to do there, which is fine because both of us like gardening and being outdoors. We'll be able to spread our veg patch as well, we've got lots growing on our balcony, lettuce, spinach, toms, courgettes, peppers, strawberries etc, they are all growing really well too. Must be the good tassie air

Sam
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TassieBear
To be fair you can actually do that, we met our Tassie friends on a beach an hours later was enjoying a BBQ at their house and another hour late on his speed boat pulling a donut....
I remember Corinne telling me about that day! Sounded like great fun and it's great that there's such open/friendly people out there. I know they do exist in the UK as well - but we tend to be much more wary of new people don't we? which is a shame i think. Us brits don't trust very easily...
Will be nice to live somewhere where hopefully people don't have hidden agenda's and life is what it is and if it's good that it's shared!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

No you wont have any problem here and if you are that kind of person you are more than half way there I just meant its hard leaving people behind thats what you have to get used to

I talk to anyone who will listen and those who wont
Hi I know what you mean't...just me going off on another subject!
I listen to you - and so far i like what you say!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi all

After an almost disaterous house buying experience (long story, I won't bore you all with it, but we nearly ended up with a house with no building approval and long list of problems we have now had our offer for another house accpeted and as long as there are no concerns with the house inspection on this one, we should be in for Christmas

It's a new build in Margate, not what we were looking for at all but it ticks most of the boxes, represents good value for money and will give us, particularly the children, somewhere to call home and settle down. What's more we can just move in and there's nothing to do apart from putting up curtain rails etc, oh and to paint over the awful pink that the builder has used in a couple of rooms, goodness knows why he picked that colour!

The garden is anothe matter, it has not been finished so there's plenty for us to do there, which is fine because both of us like gardening and being outdoors. We'll be able to spread our veg patch as well, we've got lots growing on our balcony, lettuce, spinach, toms, courgettes, peppers, strawberries etc, they are all growing really well too. Must be the good tassie air

Sam
Hi Sam So glad you've decided to buy still. We've seen many nice houses over the last 1-2 years for sale in Margate, and it does look like a nice place. Will be nice for you to have a place to call your own, and for the kids to feel really settled in. Good that you can make the garden exactly how you want it. Sounds like you've already got your greenfingers going with all the stuff on your balcony! Over yours for a tasty salad and strawberries??? (i wish )....
I am sincerely happy for you guys though. After such a scary experience with the house you were going to buy - i am so very pleased that it hasn't put you buying elsewhere and making permanent roots on the Island.
Cathy
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:35 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi all

After an almost disaterous house buying experience (long story, I won't bore you all with it, but we nearly ended up with a house with no building approval and long list of problems) we have now had our offer for another house accpeted and as long as there are no concerns with the house inspection on this one, we should be in for Christmas

Sam
Congrats on your new home Sam, nice to have your own place

I listen to you - and so far i like what you say!
PMSL so far..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.