Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:45 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by Effie1970
Kay - forgot to say, great news on the citizenship ceremony!

Cathy - the radio this morning admitted that of the 1100 confirmed cases in Oz there are now about 200 'active' with possibly 10 that have required hospital treatment... Tassie has 'swine flu clinics' set up and all sorts for what is probably 3 active cases... in a previous job I did pandemic planning and the hysteria about this is just ridiculous (can you tell this is a particular peave of mine at the moment?)

Gary - was the model train show this weekend? Might see if I can come catch up with you guys somehow?

Kerry - when is your due date?
Thank you Effie sorry to hear about your FIL and the nightmare sorting the house. I missed this yesterday so excited about our news!

I spoke to Gary last night and yes the model show is on this weekend, sat & sun St Ailbes Hall Margaret street. We are going to go and have a butchers on the Saturday
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

Kay - let me know what time Saturday and I will meet you guys there... I have a coffee catch up with other parents at 10 but am free after that? I'll send you and Gary a msg - should I bring the 'cork hat' with me because it will be after Friday wont it?

Sam - I sat through so many avian flu pandemic planning meetings and have to say that the Hobart health service were the most hysterical of the lot... seems they have put the ridiculous plans into place - sigh - am seriously considering just telling daycare that I didnt take my daughter with me to Vic but feel a bit 'irresponsible' if I do - catch 22 really
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:40 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Kay - let me know what time Saturday and I will meet you guys there... I have a coffee catch up with other parents at 10 but am free after that? I'll send you and Gary a msg - should I bring the 'cork hat' with me because it will be after Friday wont it?

Sam - I sat through so many avian flu pandemic planning meetings and have to say that the Hobart health service were the most hysterical of the lot... seems they have put the ridiculous plans into place - sigh - am seriously considering just telling daycare that I didnt take my daughter with me to Vic but feel a bit 'irresponsible' if I do - catch 22 really

haha no our ceremony is next friday the show is this coming weekend
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hey Effie, my due date is 31st July but that is for a 40 week pregnancy, they like twins to be born between 36-38 weeks, because the placenta gets a bit tired and knackered after that. I am 33 weeks this friday, so nearly there. Can't wait to meet them, not looking forward to night feeds though

Sorry to hear about your dad too, it's not nice having to go through their belongings after they've gone.

I think the world just has to accept there is another type of flu out there and stop this quarantine nonsense. They are wasting time and money doing this, they'd be better putting their energy into getting the drugs sorted to get people better. But then I know nothing of the medical profession, so my opinion probably counts for nothing.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

I can easily imagine the hysterical idiots!! I know what you mean about being economical with the truth, I daresay there will be many parents in a similar situation next week, they really haven't thought this through properly as there is already a shortage of staff in many essential areas and once parents have to try and take off an extra 7 days to stay at home with young children, there will be absolute chaos

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Hey Effie, my due date is 31st July but that is for a 40 week pregnancy, they like twins to be born between 36-38 weeks, because the placenta gets a bit tired and knackered after that. I am 33 weeks this friday, so nearly there. Can't wait to meet them, not looking forward to night feeds though

Sorry to hear about your dad too, it's not nice having to go through their belongings after they've gone.

I think the world just has to accept there is another type of flu out there and stop this quarantine nonsense. They are wasting time and money doing this, they'd be better putting their energy into getting the drugs sorted to get people better. But then I know nothing of the medical profession, so my opinion probably counts for nothing.
Kerry, don't worry, I do know about the medical profession and my opinion still counts for nothing
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

I need to have a swine flu rant... this is so friggin ridiculous...

If my daughter comes with me to Melb she isnt allowed at daycare for 7 days after... I am so sick of this state not catering for working parents! Now I know its my choice to take her with me to Melb but it would be better if she DID have flu symptoms - I could take her and get her tested, get her cleared and take her to daycare. How can that be the right way of working things? Also, its ok for me to continue to take her to that very same daycare as long as I am not showing flu symptoms - but not for her to stay there All for what is now TWO cases statewide! All the other 8 have returned to work! If she lived in Melb she could go to daycare/school but now the media hype makes me feel irresponsible for even considering taking her.

Not to say anything about the 5 carers at her centre who are possibly going to be excluded because they are going to Melb for the P!nk concert

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rant over

Sam - my hope is that it becomes apparent next week that this is all completely unworkable and they change the guidelines before I go on the 20th... cant they let people apply their own judgement - if someone I was visiting had swine flu I wouldnt go and see them.

Kerry - I remember those last few weeks with a single bub, do the bubs get very active if you have a bath? (I used to love soaking in a bath with bubs rolling around, trying to identify which body part was poking out)
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Effie- they are very active, only I can't tell what is what, there are 4 arms and 4 legs in there flailing about, it's hard to tell! The hardest part of this pregnancy is the sheer weight I'm carrying, I'm only a petite 5'2" and my back is just about to break! My son has been off school the last three weeks due to half term it has been very tricky keeping him occupied when all I want to do is rest. But bless him he has been a good boy.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

I am going to the Doctor to be tested tomorrow for Hog Flu, I am not one to panic but I have had a cold since I left Tassie and yesterday it got even worse and I have extra symptoms so better to be sure. From what I've been told the panic about Swine Flu is because it can mutate very quickly and become an even worse illness. ...btw I am still in W.A. - hope I don't get stuck here. Luckily I took out travel insurance!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Teabag
I am going to the Doctor to be tested tomorrow for Hog Flu, I am not one to panic but I have had a cold since I left Tassie and yesterday it got even worse and I have extra symptoms so better to be sure. From what I've been told the panic about Swine Flu is because it can mutate very quickly and become an even worse illness. ...btw I am still in W.A. - hope I don't get stuck here. Luckily I took out travel insurance!
oink oink!!!

Seriously though hope you get better soon!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

That's it Donna - you won't be allowed back in to Tas now and you'll have to stay in WA

An interesting point about the travel insurance though, I've just taken some out for when we fly back to the UK in July and was told specifically that no insurance company will cover for swine flu as it is classed as one of those unusual events like an act of terroism or natural disaster (which is exactly why people want the damn insurnace in the first place!) So if for some reason I an unable to fly in July (because the world continues to get its knickers in a twist) I won't be able to claim a single cent - therefore I am keeping a very close eye on things.......

Anyway, hope you're ok and back in Tas soon x
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

all clear for swine flu, have a bacterial infection and now have penicillan, hope to feel better soon. Kids are bored, raining cats and dogs here (feels like home!)
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

all clear for swine flu, have a bacterial infection and now have penicillan, hope to feel better soon. Kids are bored, raining cats and dogs here (feels like home!)
Glad to hear you are not oinking but do hope you are feeling better soon.

Weather pretty rubbish here too, has been raining at some point every day since last Wednesday and very heavy at times too. We went away to Freycinet last weekend and escaped the worst of it although we still got soaked a few times!

Sam
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:19 am
(^v^)

Phew glad to hear its not swine flu, still sounds nasty though hope your feeling better soon Its been so cold up here this last week
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

much better today, drugs are amazing! It's pretty cold and wet here now too.

There are so many brits over here, there is an ad for a new Bunnings store in the northern suburbs and they have about 6 staff members talking on the ad and every single one has a British accent.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Effie- they are very active, only I can't tell what is what, there are 4 arms and 4 legs in there flailing about, it's hard to tell! The hardest part of this pregnancy is the sheer weight I'm carrying, I'm only a petite 5'2" and my back is just about to break! My son has been off school the last three weeks due to half term it has been very tricky keeping him occupied when all I want to do is rest. But bless him he has been a good boy.
OMG!!! I cannot believe you are nearly at the end of your pregnancy Kerry x It only seems like a few weeks ago I was announcing Heidi-Janes' arrival into the world and shes' 13 months already!
I don't know if you have said already (as I have been absent from BE for so long!) but I can't wait to hear what your new daughters are to be named...I'm a right nosy cow with baby names ;-)
The old boring,stressful time of selling the house has arrived for us again ...please god let it be 3rd time lucky...Jerad is in the garden building a new decked area and then our garden will be done,and they can come and take photos.Gonna sit down and watch Masterchef ..as sad as it is ..this week has practically killed me (dramatic , moi??)
Love Zoe x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.