Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by Effie1970
hi all,

Cathy - sorry to hear about Andys brother - take care of yourselves xx

Zoe - I'm a 'newbie' to BE (but an expat for over 13 yrs) - your little one is just a bit younger than mine (my daughter is 2 in Oct)

Us - we have sold my FILs house (he passed away in Jan ) and the new owners want a 24 day settlement so this weekend was spent clearing out the house, pretty emotional for us both so today feel extremely drained. Looks like my weekend away may have to be postponed/cancelled, swine flu 'fever' (not meaning I have a fever but everyone here has gone beserk over the swine flue threat!) means I cant take my girl to daycare for 7 days after visiting Victoria, and I cant afford the time off.

Take care all xx
Hi Effie

Sorry to hear about your difficult weekend of clearing the house, I remember when we had to do my dad's house, he was a real hoarder and we lived several hours away so it had to be done over several weekends, it was very emotional

Swine flu mania has well and truly hit Tas, hasn't it? They have gone nuts over it, every year people get seasonal flu, every year people die as a result but no one ever talks about that, do they? They are now restricting movement between here and Vic, my OH has had a meeting cancelled in Melbourne because everyone is so anxious about it. The fact is that despite all the measures that they took in Vic ie closing schools, 7 days quarantine etc they could not stop it spreading, so whatever they do in Tas is going to proabably follow the same pattern anyway.

I have a feeling when the schools return next week there will be a lot of children excluded every time they sneeze!

Sam
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

eek I have two days in Melbourne on way back from WA - hope I don't get stuck in Vic. (that would be just terrible )
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
eek I have two days in Melbourne on way back from WA - hope I don't get stuck in Vic. (that would be just terrible )
Hi Donna

They are excluding all children from school if they have visited Victoria, so your girls might be delighted at having extra time off school, although you may not be

Hope you're enjoying your break away, when do you come back?

Sam
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Teabag
Donna - my stepson is excluded from school for 7 days after visiting Melbourne for 2 days so I would imagine your kids would be the same?

Sam - I'm well and truly over the swine flu mania... but simply cant afford a week off work when I am going to the uk in 10 wks time... its just ridiculous, people in vic can still send their kids to school/daycare but other states cant. At least the swine flu is treatable with the anti-virals, but my partner has also bought into the hype and thinks I would be putting my little girl at 'unnecessary risk'.

Clearing out is so hard isnt it? My FIL lived close by but was also such a hoarder, 2 trailer loads to the dump, 4 car loads to the mission and still we have a heap of stuff to get through. If anyone close to Launie wants a 3 piece suite (nothing flash but free as long as its collected!) then let me know.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:23 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

HI guys, just a note to say we've just had a call to say our Citizenship Ceremony is next Friday
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Possums
HI guys, just a note to say we've just had a call to say our Citizenship Ceremony is next Friday
Yehaaaw!!! CONGRATS!!!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:36 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Yehaaaw!!! CONGRATS!!!
Ace int it

how are you and the bambinos Kerry?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Ace int it

how are you and the bambinos Kerry?
Bambinos doing fantastic Kay, I'm not doing so great though, can't wait to get them ooooot!!!! Had a few false alarms, but nothing regular yet. Will keep you posted.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Congratulations!!!!

Hope you have a great day

Sam
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

hi all,

Cathy - sorry to hear about Andys brother - take care of yourselves xx

Us - we have sold my FILs house (he passed away in Jan ) and the new owners want a 24 day settlement so this weekend was spent clearing out the house, pretty emotional for us both so today feel extremely drained. Looks like my weekend away may have to be postponed/cancelled, swine flu 'fever' (not meaning I have a fever but everyone here has gone beserk over the swine flue threat!) means I cant take my girl to daycare for 7 days after visiting Victoria, and I cant afford the time off.

Take care all xx

Hi Effie, thanks for your message.

Sorry to hear that you had the upsetting job of clearing out your FIL's house. Never a nice thing to do i know

Sammy T was telling me the other day about all the panic about swine flu over there... I was telling her that we only hear about it on the news occasionally now over here, i think the number of reported cases is now over 500 in the UK though. I'm sorry the whole thing looks to affect your trip to Victoria.
I think my 6 year old's favourite saying at the moment is the one they've been taught at school when they cough or sneeze - the old "catch it, bin it, kill it"
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi Kay - that's great news about the citizenship ceremony!
Are you planning to celebrate after the event?

Cathy
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Bambinos doing fantastic Kay, I'm not doing so great though, can't wait to get them ooooot!!!! Had a few false alarms, but nothing regular yet. Will keep you posted.
Your pregnancy has gone really quick Kerry... Keep cooking them babies for a bit longer! xx
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:32 am
(^v^)

cant wait to see them

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Congratulations!!!!

Hope you have a great day

Sam
thank you

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Kay - that's great news about the citizenship ceremony!
Are you planning to celebrate after the event?

Cathy
well its at 11am so think we will go for a nice lunch and then we are having a bit of a celebration at the club friday night
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

Kay - forgot to say, great news on the citizenship ceremony!

Cathy - the radio this morning admitted that of the 1100 confirmed cases in Oz there are now about 200 'active' with possibly 10 that have required hospital treatment... Tassie has 'swine flu clinics' set up and all sorts for what is probably 3 active cases... in a previous job I did pandemic planning and the hysteria about this is just ridiculous (can you tell this is a particular peave of mine at the moment?)

Gary - was the model train show this weekend? Might see if I can come catch up with you guys somehow?

Kerry - when is your due date?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kay - forgot to say, great news on the citizenship ceremony!

Cathy - the radio this morning admitted that of the 1100 confirmed cases in Oz there are now about 200 'active' with possibly 10 that have required hospital treatment... Tassie has 'swine flu clinics' set up and all sorts for what is probably 3 active cases... in a previous job I did pandemic planning and the hysteria about this is just ridiculous (can you tell this is a particular peave of mine at the moment?)

Gary - was the model train show this weekend? Might see if I can come catch up with you guys somehow?

Kerry - when is your due date?
It's a soapbox of mine too Effie!

They are now starting to cancel elective surgery at Hobart Hospital as they have had to release staff to manage flu clinics and also because of the increased "sick" leave. The cases of swine flu have mostly been very mild with only a very small number needing medical care but they are now putting their ridiculous quarantine process before patients receiving medical and surgical care. They've got their priorities wrong somewhere!

What really annoys me is that each state is following different protocols and as usual Tas seems to be the most overeactive with that dippy Minister for Health Lala Giddens urging everyone to stock up on essentials and medicines

Right off the box now

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.