Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old May 27th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by Effie1970
hi Cathy,

Purely my personal opinion but I believe that Tassie is still fairly attractive for an investment property returns whereas a lot of other states arent so much any more. It has also got a lot more difficult for people to get finance, and Tassie has 'generally' been pretty conservative on its valuations so there are probably more people renting as its more of a struggle for the buyers to get finance. We have hopefully got a buyer for my FILs house but it was with a longer finance clause because the banks are also taking longer.

We will be replacing our kitchen once the other house sells too.
Hi thanks for your reply. Are you saying it's generally harder for residents on the Island to get mortgages approved? is that because wages tend to be slightly lower than on the mainland?
I hope everything goes through smoothly with your FIL's house...

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi Cathy

Have noticed there are many houses still for sale that were around when we first started looking but they haven't dropped their prices much at all. This might be why there has been an increase in rentals, as if the houses aren't selling perhaps people are renting them out instead?

The other day I read that the property market in Tas was bucking the trend and holding its own where as other states have had some big drops, perhaps that was because their prices rose so high so fast, Perth comes to mind, I know there has been some huge losses there.

Sam
Hi Sam there are few "stickers" on realestate so i know what you mean, some houses that have been up for sale for well over a year....but they're the ones that me and Andy are keeping an eye on - we're going to be hoping that one day they're the ones you can get away with making a lower offer on!
We were worried a few months ago when we were hoping to be arriving this year that we'd not have much choice where rentals were concerned - even now in places like Blackmans Bay etc - there's hardly any choice really... Maybe you're right that those that can't sell are starting to rent out instead though... I'll keep checking over the next few weeks to see if the situation stays the same....

Cathy
Old May 28th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
Hi

This thread is huge and I haven't read any of it

The reason for my posting on here is that we are going to tassie for a week in August to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary

We are undecided on getting the ferry or flying and hiring a car.

We want are suggestions on things to do, places to stay etc. We will be in Hobart visiting friends but other than that we don't have any ideas.

Help please

John
Hi John

I would fly myself because you don't lose so much time but I can see the appeal of the Merc

Lots to see and do in a week, here's some of my favourites:

Port Arthur - really interesting and full of tragedy, but still beautiful especially with the sun out on the golden buildings

Drive up to top of Mt Wellington, but only if you can actually see the top from the bottom as you may see nothing but cloud once up there! take some extra layers and hats etc as it tends to pretty chilly up there but great views.

River cruise - best one we have been on is the Peppermint Bay cruise, 1/2 day, you get a lovely meal on board and time for a coffee at the Peppermint Bay restaurant. There are other variations on their cruises, you can now do one which inculdes Bruny Island as well, this is a whole day cruise. There are plenty of others to chose from but this one is definitely the best one we've done.

Tahune Airwalk, pleasant drive through the Huon valley, cafe and visitor centre there as well.

Salamanca Market, on a Saturday, well worth a wander. Lots of nice places to eat in that area too.

If you have time (possibly not in a week) Freycinet National Park on the East coast is stunning on a clear sunny day, a real favourite of ours, we are going again next week, staying at Freycinet Lodge, which has little cabins set in amongst the bush, the cabins are very simple but the visitors - wallabies and possums make up for it, as well as the fantastic food in the restaurant

Cradle Mountain is another must see if you have the time.

Not so familiar with the North of Tas, so I'll let the "northerners" fill you in with their area!

Tas is a fairly small island but it still takes a fair while to get anywhere, so bear that in mind when planning your itinerary. Your friends in Hobart should be able to give you lots of ideas too. All of the places I've mentioned have websites, just do a search on google.

Have fun and don't forget the woolies, can be pretty nippy at that time of year but also really lovely with crisp sunny days.

Sam

Last edited by Sammy T; May 28th 2009 at 2:01 am.
Old May 28th 2009, 4:36 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
Cheers

Thanks for ideas

We are being swayed a little bit towards the ferry because my Sister said we can borrow her new Mercedes sports car for the week
Hi arent you allowed to borrow it if you fly? the ferry is great if you have loads of stuff to cart over and take back but if not then its really not worth the 11 hr trip. Plus it docks in Devonport.

Agree with Sammys intinery plus recomend a tour of the vineyards around the Tamar Valley, the North West is lovely as is the west coast. best way we reckon is to just get a car and just go explore

have a look at the discover Tasmania website for some ideas

http://www.discovertasmania.com/au
Old May 28th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

Cathy - We found that the banks were very conservative on their valuations partly because of a lack of 'similar properties' to value on... with a huge range of properties it was less likely that something similar had sold recently and therefore the banks arent valuing at what properties sell for - leaving a lot of people in the situation of having to take out mortgage insurance. I dont think its so much the lower wages but the valuations that often leave people unable to go through with a sale. (sorry, longwinded reply, but it was the situation we were in, whereas in Syd & Melb we generally found that the valuation would often be based more on the sale price)
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Hi Gang

we are in W.A. for the next two weeks visiting rellies and friends. Gawd the place is still as ugly as ever and heaps more lego highrises down the beach front. Went to Fremantle yesterday to go to the markets, people everywhere!!! I was so anxious before we came that I'd get here and wonder why we left, but no, that's not been a problem. I will enjoy the shopping and the busy atmosphere while I am here but I don't want to live here.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

That's good to hear Donna Well enjoy the shopping and the city buzz anyway, the break will do you some good after what you've been through lately enjoy it!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
Hi Gang

we are in W.A. for the next two weeks visiting rellies and friends. Gawd the place is still as ugly as ever and heaps more lego highrises down the beach front. Went to Fremantle yesterday to go to the markets, people everywhere!!! I was so anxious before we came that I'd get here and wonder why we left, but no, that's not been a problem. I will enjoy the shopping and the busy atmosphere while I am here but I don't want to live here.
Maybe you needed to see WA again to realise it's definitely not what you want anymore!

Have fun with the shopping

Sam
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

thanks Girls, will have a good relax while I am here. Just got to shift this head cold first
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi How is everyone? Sorry i haven't posted for a while - Sadly Andy's brother passed away over a week ago, very unexpectedly so there's been loads going on surrounding that (some of you know about this already anyway)..

Anyway, Teabag - i hope you have enjoyed your time visiting relatives and friends in WA and i hope you stocked up on all the stuff you wanted to buy
I was glad to see you'd written that you do prefer Tasmania over WA.....Andy has been getting grief from his sister about us choosing Tas over where they live in Perth, altho we will stick to our guns!

There was a TV programme on channel4 over here this morning called Freesport - and they were showing a surfing competition in Tasmania - but we missed the bit where they said it was! Anyone any idea where the competitions are held?

Hope you've all had a great weekend...

Cathy
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi How is everyone? Sorry i haven't posted for a while - Sadly Andy's brother passed away over a week ago, very unexpectedly so there's been loads going on surrounding that (some of you know about this already anyway)..

Anyway, Teabag - i hope you have enjoyed your time visiting relatives and friends in WA and i hope you stocked up on all the stuff you wanted to buy
I was glad to see you'd written that you do prefer Tasmania over WA.....Andy has been getting grief from his sister about us choosing Tas over where they live in Perth, altho we will stick to our guns!

There was a TV programme on channel4 over here this morning called Freesport - and they were showing a surfing competition in Tasmania - but we missed the bit where they said it was! Anyone any idea where the competitions are held?

Hope you've all had a great weekend...

Cathy
Just thought i'd have a nose on here ...it's been about 6 months!! Off to read some of the posts
Cathy I hope andy is okay xxx and yourself for that matter...its so tough being the 'supporter' Take Care ,speak very soon ..Zoe
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jerzo
Just thought i'd have a nose on here ...it's been about 6 months!! Off to read some of the posts
Cathy I hope andy is okay xxx and yourself for that matter...its so tough being the 'supporter' Take Care ,speak very soon ..Zoe
Hi Zoe thanks for that... Will Email you during the week
As you're browsing through BE - must mean that you're thinking about Australia still ?

Cathy

p.s. you need to update your profile seeing as the lovely Heidi is now 1 xx
Old Jun 8th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Zoe thanks for that... Will Email you during the week
As you're browsing through BE - must mean that you're thinking about Australia still ?

Cathy

p.s. you need to update your profile seeing as the lovely Heidi is now 1 xx
Hiya...bloomin heck twice in two days I have been on here!!

Yes Cathy we still want to go to Tas just gonna keep it a bit quieter this time...after all the drama of last time. We have the Estate agents coming on Weds & Thurs to give us a valuation...probably the same as last time without the extension , given the market! Off we go again.
Just have to work out how i'm going to get the house ready with my destructive toddlers!

Have updated my profile!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes Cathy we still want to go to Tas just gonna keep it a bit quieter this time...after all the drama of last time. We have the Estate agents coming on Weds & Thurs to give us a valuation...probably the same as last time without the extension , given the market! Off we go again.
Just have to work out how i'm going to get the house ready with my destructive toddlers!

Have updated my profile!
Hi Zoe, better watch you dont get addicted to the site again! I like that pic you're using for your profile pic...
Good Luck with the estate agents - you never know after all the work you've done on the house you might be pleasantly surprised by the valuation...things have picked up where house sales are concerned.
I'm so glad you're still keen to get to Tas - i was worried for a bit that you'd changed your mind completely about emigrating...(although i know i cant talk! )....
Is the estate agent coming when Heidi's due a nap? if so, that might help as you'll only have one to worry about making a mess then!

Cathy
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have updated my profile!

Hi Zoe

Nice to see you on here again, can't believe that Heidi is 13 months already, that has gone sooo quickly!

Good luck with the estate agents, hopefully all the work you have done on the house will pay off and you'll get a good valuation and then fingers crossed for a sale, what's the market like in your area?

Good luck

Sam
Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

hi all,

Cathy - sorry to hear about Andys brother - take care of yourselves xx

Zoe - I'm a 'newbie' to BE (but an expat for over 13 yrs) - your little one is just a bit younger than mine (my daughter is 2 in Oct)

Us - we have sold my FILs house (he passed away in Jan ) and the new owners want a 24 day settlement so this weekend was spent clearing out the house, pretty emotional for us both so today feel extremely drained. Looks like my weekend away may have to be postponed/cancelled, swine flu 'fever' (not meaning I have a fever but everyone here has gone beserk over the swine flue threat!) means I cant take my girl to daycare for 7 days after visiting Victoria, and I cant afford the time off.

Take care all xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.