Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by Aisha
Hi everyone ,

i stumbled upon this thread browsing for information about tasmania.
Im a student from Maldives going to UTAS in february and im really nervous about going far away from home and to a place so strange to me . . so wheni came across the first page of this thread i was immeadiately hooked cos i did learn a lot following your posts here lol .iv been reading this the whole day skipping only a few pages and its strange i feel like iv known u all hehhe.. i was hoping i wud find out in the last page that cathy had also made the move to tas

anyway i just cudnt resist writing on this when the topic turned to maldives , where i am from !! as cathy had said it rreally is nice and unlike most other places its even more beautiful than the brochures and postcards u have seen. ( sorry if i sound i bit braggy but im appreciating my home after having lived away from it for a few years lol )

Its true there isnt much adventure here compared to sri lanka but they also like market the place as somewhwere u can come and do nothing . there are some beautiful islands in the nothern and southern atolls which are not really promoted as tourist destinations .. but these places are traditonal and interesting .. u just need a good local guide.

i am to stay is Tas for one year and i have a million worries .. i dont know how i ll deal with the cold . iv never exprienced wheather below 27 or 28. Here in maldives its all flat land and there isnt so much as a hill . there are no animals here except cats and we rarely see an insect like a spider. so tasmania is going to be a very strange world for me i guess
Goodness me fancy that what a coincidence!! Welcome to BE Aisha, the Maldives sounds like the perfect get away paradise To be honest you don't really see that many harmful insects out here, well not in the towns and city any way. If you go further a field into a more bushy location or forest area, you will see snakes and spiders. But the snakes will run from you if they hear you and if you don't bother the spiders they won't bother you. When I first came I was absolutely terrified of spiders and creepy crawlies. But I am much better now, I've had a few close encounters to cure me of my fear!
And as for the cold, well you will feel it I'm afraid Good luck with your trip out in February, if you can get on the internet when you arrive, keep in touch and maybe we could do a meet up one day.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

ailton is an unknown quantity at this point

Tasmania its WOW/ Cool!!!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ailton
Tasmania its WOW/ Cool!!!
Hey Ailton another newby! welcome to BE too!

So you livin out here? or just wish you did?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:53 am
Just Joined

ailton is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I live in Ukraine
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ailton
No, I live in Ukraine
Brrrr, bet it's chilly now! So have you been to Tassie then?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aisha
Hi everyone ,

i stumbled upon this thread browsing for information about tasmania.
Im a student from Maldives going to UTAS in february and im really nervous about going far away from home and to a place so strange to me . . so wheni came across the first page of this thread i was immeadiately hooked cos i did learn a lot following your posts here lol .iv been reading this the whole day skipping only a few pages and its strange i feel like iv known u all hehhe.. i was hoping i wud find out in the last page that cathy had also made the move to tas

anyway i just cudnt resist writing on this when the topic turned to maldives , where i am from !! as cathy had said it rreally is nice and unlike most other places its even more beautiful than the brochures and postcards u have seen. ( sorry if i sound i bit braggy but im appreciating my home after having lived away from it for a few years lol )

Its true there isnt much adventure here compared to sri lanka but they also like market the place as somewhwere u can come and do nothing . there are some beautiful islands in the nothern and southern atolls which are not really promoted as tourist destinations .. but these places are traditonal and interesting .. u just need a good local guide.

i am to stay is Tas for one year and i have a million worries .. i dont know how i ll deal with the cold . iv never exprienced wheather below 27 or 28. Here in maldives its all flat land and there isnt so much as a hill . there are no animals here except cats and we rarely see an insect like a spider. so tasmania is going to be a very strange world for me i guess
Hi there and as Kerry said before - welcome to BE and the tassie thread! I guess i'm probably to blame for some of the volume of pages you've had to read through (i do like a chat and often waffle on a bit), but hopefully what you've read since the thread started has given you some information that will be useful about the island - especially what's provided by the locals living there..
How wonderful that you come from The Maldives and yes, you're right - some brochures/photo's definitely don't do the Islands justice. The place certainly left a big impression on my heart that's for sure though.

Where is the University that you'll be studying at? is it Hobart or Launceston? I'm not too familiar with higher education in Tasmania as my children are both very young and if you dont mind me asking - what are you studying?

Anyway, bye for now - i'm sure if you have any other questions that someone will be able to help you out!

Cathy
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi everyone, for those of us that have been on here for ages.... can someone let me know the logon name of the lady that used to go on here that worked for the Tas Gov / relocation team? I know it'll be somewhere on the thread - but seeing as it's now pages and pages i didn't want to have to read them all if someone can remember!

thanks!
Cathy
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:21 pm
Old Member

TassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to all

Joanna Jacobs
[email protected]

She worked in the same building as me when I worked for the local government, I also have her direct dial if you want it , she did all the local migration welcome meetings
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi everyone, for those of us that have been on here for ages.... can someone let me know the logon name of the lady that used to go on here that worked for the Tas Gov / relocation team? I know it'll be somewhere on the thread - but seeing as it's now pages and pages i didn't want to have to read them all if someone can remember!

thanks!
Cathy
Hi Cathy

Joanna has now left, she got a job promotion in the North of the island last year. She was here when we arrived but was then replaced by Daniel Verdouw (? spelling)

Try this website:

www.development.tas.gov.au/migration (check out the Sept/Oct newsletter too!)

email them at [email protected], I'll see if I can find Daniel's email too later, its on the pc.

Sam
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:00 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Tasmania will be featured in Wanted Down Under on
23 Jan 2009
09:15–10:00
BBC One Series 3
Robinson Family
Stonemason Mat Harris and his young family have a test week in Hobart, Tasmania.

Can also be viewed on BBCi

BS
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:20 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Tasmania will be featured in Wanted Down Under on
23 Jan 2009
09:15–10:00
BBC One Series 3
Robinson Family
Stonemason Mat Harris and his young family have a test week in Hobart, Tasmania.

Can also be viewed on BBCi

BS
thanks for that pity we cant see it out here, if any one wants to put it on a DVD for us that would be great
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:27 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
The power of the 80's I could never understand why they filmed a song called Rio off the coast of Sri Lanka! Is a great video though. There was tons to see/do in Sri Lanka - one week just wasn't enough. The tour took in central parts-ie, Sigiriya, Kandy etc, tea plantation, then down to the coast (some parts i saw were later affected by the Tsunami ). The beach resorts were lovely, the people friendly and the food great... We've often talked of going back (Andy has never been) and i'd happily take the kids there. There was Tamil trouble when i went though and parts of Colombo were closed off at that time - but otherwise i felt very comfortable there, especially being on my own.

if you were to do such trips from Tas - where would you most likely fly to?
would it have to be Sydney or Melbourne, then onto somewhere like Singapore? I keep thinking that any future trips are going to involve a lot more flights before you actually get anywhere
I used to have a video of all there video's! sounds odd but you know what I mean and I think they did a few around that way, didnt realise Rio was one! I think Save a Prayer was another.

yep have to fly to mainland, bit of a pain to be honest. our flight to Melbourne on this last trip had the time changed, meant we were stuck in Mel aiport for an extra 5 hrs, nothing we could do about it. Its the same in UK Manchester to Heathrow pain in the arse adds hours onto your trip.

Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:31 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by TassieBear
Joanna Jacobs
[email protected]

She worked in the same building as me when I worked for the local government, I also have her direct dial if you want it , she did all the local migration welcome meetings
LOL local being the operative word, if you live outside Hobart you drop off the radar! We had so much support before arriving as we are on a state sponsered visa, as soon as we told them we were moving north they didnt want to know.

In fact they didnt even know Bridport was in Tasmania, thought we were moving to the mainland, we had to get a map of Tas out and show them where it was! LOL
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:37 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Possums
LOL local being the operative word, if you live outside Hobart you drop off the radar! We had so much support before arriving as we are on a state sponsered visa, as soon as we told them we were moving north they didnt want to know.

In fact they didnt even know Bridport was in Tasmania, thought we were moving to the mainland, we had to get a map of Tas out and show them where it was! LOL
Hey Possum,
I know what you mean with Hobart its like Australians who say they are going to London when they are going to the UK, Hobarts a nice place and I enjoy visiting but I'd much rather be around Launceston or the north coast!
I love Launceston its an amazing place. Really looking forward to festivale!!!
Gary Vikky and Hollie
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:31 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hey Possum,
I know what you mean with Hobart its like Australians who say they are going to London when they are going to the UK, Hobarts a nice place and I enjoy visiting but I'd much rather be around Launceston or the north coast!
I love Launceston its an amazing place. Really looking forward to festivale!!!
Gary Vikky and Hollie
yep, well guess I should be used to it being from ooop north of England and ruled by London

dont know if you saw my post other day but theres a lot of stuff happening in Bridport over Australia day weekend if you wanted a trip out. Some stuff happening at the beach, a concert on, art exhibition and market

http://www.northeasttasmania.com.au/...=103&Itemid=42

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.