Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi - thanks Kay. so it's near St Helens, i've often looked at properties for sale in St Helens on realestate.com.au - it's got a lovely bay there hasn't it? i couldnt consider living there though as i think it was too far from any of the places that Andy could potentially work and perhaps a little too quiet for me - although it looks lovely. Thanks for the links - i'll pass them on. My friend is based in Sydney but is considering Tas as a holiday destination for next year. I dont think she'd be up for camping though....
Restaurant looks lovely - i've just had a nose at the menu - "garlic butter cob loaf", "pork with roasted baby parsnips", yum yum.... Not so sure about the Oysters etc - but i think that might be because i've never tried them "properly" if you get what i mean! and i never realised people actually ate Abalone - silly me just thought they were used for the shells!
Abalone and mother of pearl are my favourite jewellry items... I have loads of stuff made out of both - including trinket boxes etc - and i've been a bit worried i might not be able to ship these - so i think they're going to come with me in my suitcases when we eventually move.
Did i tell you guys that Andy bought a 8 berth tent with his 40th birthday money....im still not sure he'll convince me to go camping next year but you never know....depends on how many creature comforts he gets between now and then!

I meant to say as well.....i imagine that restaurant doesnt have any prices on it's menu because it's expensive????
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:38 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - thanks Kay. so it's near St Helens, i've often looked at properties for sale in St Helens on realestate.com.au - it's got a lovely bay there hasn't it? i couldnt consider living there though as i think it was too far from any of the places that Andy could potentially work and perhaps a little too quiet for me - although it looks lovely. Thanks for the links - i'll pass them on. My friend is based in Sydney but is considering Tas as a holiday destination for next year. I dont think she'd be up for camping though....
Restaurant looks lovely - i've just had a nose at the menu - "garlic butter cob loaf", "pork with roasted baby parsnips", yum yum.... Not so sure about the Oysters etc - but i think that might be because i've never tried them "properly" if you get what i mean! and i never realised people actually ate Abalone - silly me just thought they were used for the shells!
Abalone and mother of pearl are my favourite jewellry items... I have loads of stuff made out of both - including trinket boxes etc - and i've been a bit worried i might not be able to ship these - so i think they're going to come with me in my suitcases when we eventually move.
Did i tell you guys that Andy bought a 8 berth tent with his 40th birthday money....im still not sure he'll convince me to go camping next year but you never know....depends on how many creature comforts he gets between now and then!

no it is far too remote to live there we are remote enough but another 80k to St Helens, also has a lot of bush fires in that area.

nice for a visit, personally wouldnt spend more than a couple of nights, depends what they want. reckon if your friends are touring the island that would be enough. lots to discover around the place but if they havent been to Tas before i'd recommend they move over to the north west, cradle mountain and over to the west, Straun is beautiful..did you get over there?

well Tas and seafood go hand in hand. most places, up here at least, have lots of seafood on the menu. I like oysters if they are cooked but wouldnt consider eating a raw one.

Abalone is very expensive, people around here have made a hell of a lot of money out of them, most are exported but the industry is not good at the moment as they are battling a disease.

we are very lucky as we have some indigineous friends and they are allowed to fish for anything

ah camping, we are being badgered to go in november, locals here tend to camp out at Tomahawk or Ansons Bay ...can't say its me to be honest. Wouldn't say no to a winnebago though

I meant to say as well.....i imagine that restaurant doesnt have any prices on it's menu because it's expensive????
gives review and prices on here http://yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/...asi_restaurant

not that bad really LOL compare it to the UK and its ridiculous, and cheap compared to Sydney
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Possums
no it is far too remote to live there we are remote enough but another 80k to St Helens, also has a lot of bush fires in that area.

nice for a visit, personally wouldnt spend more than a couple of nights, depends what they want. reckon if your friends are touring the island that would be enough. lots to discover around the place but if they havent been to Tas before i'd recommend they move over to the north west, cradle mountain and over to the west, Straun is beautiful..did you get over there?

well Tas and seafood go hand in hand. most places, up here at least, have lots of seafood on the menu. I like oysters if they are cooked but wouldnt consider eating a raw one.

Abalone is very expensive, people around here have made a hell of a lot of money out of them, most are exported but the industry is not good at the moment as they are battling a disease.

we are very lucky as we have some indigineous friends and they are allowed to fish for anything

ah camping, we are being badgered to go in november, locals here tend to camp out at Tomahawk or Ansons Bay ...can't say its me to be honest. Wouldn't say no to a winnebago though

gives review and prices on here http://yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/...asi_restaurant

not that bad really LOL compare it to the UK and its ridiculous, and cheap compared to Sydney
I'm ashamed to say that we only visited the Hobart area's on our visit - and ran out of time (only had mon-fri on the island) to see very much.... We did love what we saw - but seriously regret not having seen any of the East coast and the Northern area's. In hindsight we would have rather spent 2 weeks out of the 3 week trip in Tas and only a week with Andy's relatives in Perth!!!

I do enjoy seafood - i'm just not that struck on Oysters (but i have only tried them once). I will eat mussels etc (Andy loves anything like that) - but i'm always a bit wary of getting food poisoning from them! I know you should discard any that dont open once cooked - but i'm still a bit wary! I love any fish though - with my Dad always having been into both freshwater & sea fishing - i've eaten everything in my younger days from eels to flounders to carp as he was always bringing something home in his bucket, and apparently i ate a raw sprat once when very young when he was gutting them - except he hadn't got around to gutting that one - he'd only cut the head off!!!! Most of the time what puts us off eating fresh fish etc is just the cost - i'm always shocked by the prices on the fresh fish counters in the supermarket here - it has to be a treat - otherwise we'd love to eat fresh fish a couple of times a week if we could.... is it much cheaper to buy fresh fish and things like crab over there?

i tell you what - you two buy a winnebago - and then if Andy insists we go camping once we're in Tas - i'll then ring you and borrow it!!!! Actually, truth be known i'll probably enjoy it if i do go - but it would probably have to be on a site - as i'm not sure i could cope without a proper toilet/shower for very long otherwise!

Cathy
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:49 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ashamed to say that we only visited the Hobart area's on our visit - and ran out of time (only had mon-fri on the island) to see very much.... We did love what we saw - but seriously regret not having seen any of the East coast and the Northern area's. In hindsight we would have rather spent 2 weeks out of the 3 week trip in Tas and only a week with Andy's relatives in Perth!!!

I do enjoy seafood - i'm just not that struck on Oysters (but i have only tried them once). I will eat mussels etc (Andy loves anything like that) - but i'm always a bit wary of getting food poisoning from them! I know you should discard any that dont open once cooked - but i'm still a bit wary! I love any fish though - with my Dad always having been into both freshwater & sea fishing - i've eaten everything in my younger days from eels to flounders to carp as he was always bringing something home in his bucket, and apparently i ate a raw sprat once when very young when he was gutting them - except he hadn't got around to gutting that one - he'd only cut the head off!!!! Most of the time what puts us off eating fresh fish etc is just the cost - i'm always shocked by the prices on the fresh fish counters in the supermarket here - it has to be a treat - otherwise we'd love to eat fresh fish a couple of times a week if we could.... is it much cheaper to buy fresh fish and things like crab over there?

i tell you what - you two buy a winnebago - and then if Andy insists we go camping once we're in Tas - i'll then ring you and borrow it!!!! Actually, truth be known i'll probably enjoy it if i do go - but it would probably have to be on a site - as i'm not sure i could cope without a proper toilet/shower for very long otherwise!

Cathy
ah you've got plenty of time to look round when you get here

I never thought I would eat an oyster but someone persuaded me at a party, they were called Oyster Kilpatrick cooked with bacon & worchester sauce and they were really nice!

there was also a wigwam of prawns, never seen so many prawns! they had skewered them on wooden sticks with a wedge of lemon on the end, then fashioned a wigwam out of them, propped up with lettuce in the middle, then drizzled sauce over. Great centre peice for a party

Seafood is cheap, not seen crabs? crayfish & scallops seem to be most popular up here. Flake (gummy shark) and flathead are the most common fish at our chippy, nice enough but miss a good bit o battered cod and real chips & MUSHY PEAS

yeah thats fine you can have the winnebago anytime, I'll be in the hotel
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Yes, we are camping at St. Helens this Xmas, at Doras Point, it is a conservation area with flushing toilets and cold showers. There is a public shower at the St. Helens Marina so will probably use that every second day, and use baby wipes the other day, or a bucket wash.

We just went to Port Arthur for the weekend, what a stunning place it is. Just beautiful, atmospheric and so sad/tragic all mixed in together!!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:47 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by Teabag
We just went to Port Arthur for the weekend, what a stunning place it is. Just beautiful, atmospheric and so sad/tragic all mixed in together!!
fantastic place isnt it, agree with your sentiments.

did you do the ghost walk? spooked us as we were staying in the hotel on the grounds and had to walk back in the dark
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we are camping at St. Helens this Xmas, at Doras Point, it is a conservation area with flushing toilets and cold showers. There is a public shower at the St. Helens Marina so will probably use that every second day, and use baby wipes the other day, or a bucket wash.

Hi

We are hoping to go to Port Arthur at the weekend depending on the weather.
We have wanted to visit for a while but were waiting for the clocks to change to give us a bit more time to the day, as its a fair drive.
Did you take your children and did they like it too, my 10 year old son is easy to please but the 12 year old daughter is at the stage of not liking anything we do!

Sam
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ah you've got plenty of time to look round when you get here

I never thought I would eat an oyster but someone persuaded me at a party, they were called Oyster Kilpatrick cooked with bacon & worchester sauce and they were really nice!

there was also a wigwam of prawns, never seen so many prawns! they had skewered them on wooden sticks with a wedge of lemon on the end, then fashioned a wigwam out of them, propped up with lettuce in the middle, then drizzled sauce over. Great centre peice for a party

Seafood is cheap, not seen crabs? crayfish & scallops seem to be most popular up here. Flake (gummy shark) and flathead are the most common fish at our chippy, nice enough but miss a good bit o battered cod and real chips & MUSHY PEAS

yeah thats fine you can have the winnebago anytime, I'll be in the hotel

Sounds different - the Oysters cooked with bacon & worcester sauce. I guess if people are used to such an abundance of sea-food you must become creative with it!

I guess you'll be heading for the fish&chip shop when you visit the UK then for a cod/mushy pea fix!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

I have seen some stunning pictures of Port Arthur on various sites - certainly does look very atmospheric.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

We are hoping to go to Port Arthur at the weekend depending on the weather.
We have wanted to visit for a while but were waiting for the clocks to change to give us a bit more time to the day, as its a fair drive.
Did you take your children and did they like it too, my 10 year old son is easy to please but the 12 year old daughter is at the stage of not liking anything we do!

Sam

When do the clocks change? so what time is it getting dark over there at the moment ? Is the weather starting to get warmer for you guys yet?

Your daughter sounds like a very normal 12 year old to me! I recall groaning at whatever my Mum&Dad used to suggest we do.... it's the age when it is not trendy to be seen out with "the family" Probably like most kids though - once you finally persuade them to go somewhere they do actually enjoy it!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

When do the clocks change? so what time is it getting dark over there at the moment ? Is the weather starting to get warmer for you guys yet?

Your daughter sounds like a very normal 12 year old to me! I recall groaning at whatever my Mum&Dad used to suggest we do.... it's the age when it is not trendy to be seen out with "the family" Probably like most kids though - once you finally persuade them to go somewhere they do actually enjoy it!

Hi Cathy

The clocks went forward an hour last Sunday, so its now light until about 7.30 pm (ish) The length of the days was difficult to adjust to when we first arrived, we had left the UK kust after the longest day in the UK, to have it getting dark by 4.30pm here! So it's very nice to see the days getting longer again now, definitely makes you feel brighter when the sun is shining and you can sit outside.

Sam
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:41 pm
(^v^)

Sounds different - the Oysters cooked with bacon & worcester sauce. I guess if people are used to such an abundance of sea-food you must become creative with it!

I guess you'll be heading for the fish&chip shop when you visit the UK then for a cod/mushy pea fix!
too right
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

too right
Well in one of my periodic visits to the Tassie thread I found the discussion about the thread being too long, needing new people etc. So I've split it, hope I've picked a reasonable enough place
Hopefully it'll get a new lease of life now and pull in some new posters.

The previous thread is HERE

==============================

I'm now longing to be down there again having read about the fish and chips and Coles Bay and Port Arthur and Cradle Mountain...the island is so dear to me its like a second home, so I guess in a way I'm homesick

http://www.rosebay.tased.edu.au/camera.htm
Attached Thumbnails Tasmania (continued!)-01_07_04_1.jpg  
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well in one of my periodic visits to the Tassie thread I found the discussion about the thread being too long, needing new people etc. So I've split it, hope I've picked a reasonable enough place
Hopefully it'll get a new lease of life now and pull in some new posters.

The previous thread is HERE

==============================

I'm now longing to be down there again having read about the fish and chips and Coles Bay and Port Arthur and Cradle Mountain...the island is so dear to me its like a second home, so I guess in a way I'm homesick

http://www.rosebay.tased.edu.au/camera.htm
Thanks Pollyanna.
Nice to see you popping in on the thread again as well... i know you miss the place from previous posts/comments you've made....
Are you planning on returning to the Island at all ?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:24 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

I have met so many people here who call Tassie Australias best kept secret. Even when we flew back in just a few weeks ago i got talking to a Brit who lives in the UK an Tassie too. Nice. I must admit myself that i never considered Tassie as you just tend to think of the mainland. It's a shame it really is, but then again there would be too many people here otherwise. An old school mate i just got talking too is thinking of moving here to retire. He has been here many times and loves it. He has been in Oz over 20 years. Maybe it's the weather is too cold for some. Fine to me but then i am used to the North East weather.

Last edited by Lenmil; Oct 8th 2008 at 10:30 am. Reason: Added picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.