Tasmania??

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by Teabag
Be careful with the rural areas, although they seem very close to the City, the roads can be dangerous with ice etc. in Winter, also lots of hills and winding roads.

Most of Hobart's suburbs are very easy to commute. I am finding things very close but I've just moved over from Perth and everything there is so far apart
Teabag I never did get your blog or what ever you call it!

Did you get my email address?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by kezzabird
We haven't got a completion date for the house yet, but we are anticipating Aug/Sep.

We were looking at the Hobart area too, but ultimately it will be where ever Duncan can get a job initially.

I've sent a CV and Duncans line of work to a recruitment agency in Hobart, so we'll see what he comes up with.

Kerry
We are also aiming for Sept.

Are you flying to Sydney and connecting ?? I'm not sure who to fly from Syd to Hobart with , it seems like Virgin Blue so far. Have'nt heard much about them.

Zo
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jerzo
We are also aiming for Sept.

Are you flying to Sydney and connecting ?? I'm not sure who to fly from Syd to Hobart with , it seems like Virgin Blue so far. Have'nt heard much about them.

Zo
We were thinking of Emirates to Singapore for 4 nights then onto Melbourne with Quantas then onto Hobart with Quantas again. Stay away from Jetstar they will charge excess baggage. We didn't realise this when we were flying home last year. It was dead embarrasing cos we held the line up trying to make our bags lighter then decided to pay the bloody excess anyway. I was really annoyed as they knew we were begining a long haul flight, but they didn't give a shit! We flew Quantas last year for a couple of flights they were ok. We also had one flight with BA, they were totally crap! Took ages to serve the food and we had an impatient tired 2 year old with us, by the time they got to us there was no choice just what they had left, no kiddies meal, and no kiddies bags to occupy him. Not what you need on a stressful journey with a sprog!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Kezza, I've given up on my blog, not much of a writer and half the people that said "Keep in Touch" never bothered to join up to read my blog, so 'meh'

Keep away from Virgin and Jetstar, they are very strict with baggage, I find Qantas to be no dearer, sometimes even cheaper depending on what deals are going, and they are more flexible.

Areas: I am in Glenorchy which is 7 km's from Hobart and about 10mins drive.
It has lot's of industry etc. shops, sports, everything you need. It is more 'inner city' feel, although the other side of Hobart is more rural and quieter there is a quite a trip from Town up a very big hill/mountain and no street lighting, I hate driving out there at night!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Tasmania??

We were thinking of Emirates to Singapore for 4 nights then onto Melbourne with Quantas then onto Hobart with Quantas again. Stay away from Jetstar they will charge excess baggage. We didn't realise this when we were flying home last year. It was dead embarrasing cos we held the line up trying to make our bags lighter then decided to pay the bloody excess anyway. I was really annoyed as they knew we were begining a long haul flight, but they didn't give a shit! We flew Quantas last year for a couple of flights they were ok. We also had one flight with BA, they were totally crap! Took ages to serve the food and we had an impatient tired 2 year old with us, by the time they got to us there was no choice just what they had left, no kiddies meal, and no kiddies bags to occupy him. Not what you need on a stressful journey with a sprog!

I just looked at Jetstar and saw their excess baggage policy I think Virgin Blue seem ok but we would have to go with the Corporate Plus so we can have 30 kg allowance, there are 6 of us so we should be ok with that.

We are going to go with Singapore I think, to Sydney then on to Hobart , I just wish the people who bought our house would stick a rocket up their ass and sign all the docs etc... its so stressful at this stage is'nt it???

Is the shipping still straightforward? we got sent loads of quotes but that was when we were headed for Perth!! (wont go into it,OH got his way!!)

Thanks
Zo
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just looked at Jetstar and saw their excess baggage policy I think Virgin Blue seem ok but we would have to go with the Corporate Plus so we can have 30 kg allowance, there are 6 of us so we should be ok with that.

We are going to go with Singapore I think, to Sydney then on to Hobart , I just wish the people who bought our house would stick a rocket up their ass and sign all the docs etc... its so stressful at this stage is'nt it???

Is the shipping still straightforward? we got sent loads of quotes but that was when we were headed for Perth!! (wont go into it,OH got his way!!)

Thanks
Zo
Well we aren't taking all our stuff. Just cot, chest of drawers, tumble dryer, computer and desk, toys, kitchen equipment and crockery, clothes, dvd's and cd's, and personal bits. God did i say JUST!!!! Well any way what I meant was not taking all the furniture!!

We got our quotes in and although they are not the cheapest will be going with Crown as its them all the way no 2nd or 3rd parties as it normally would be for Tas being an island an all that. Plus they have had loads of praise on this forum. Our quote was £3095.00 for 552 cubic feet shared container.

So how long has your house been going through then? Ours has been 3 weeks since the offer was accepted.

Kerry
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well we aren't taking all our stuff. Just cot, chest of drawers, tumble dryer, computer and desk, toys, kitchen equipment and crockery, clothes, dvd's and cd's, and personal bits. God did i say JUST!!!! Well any way what I meant was not taking all the furniture!!

We got our quotes in and although they are not the cheapest will be going with Crown as its them all the way no 2nd or 3rd parties as it normally would be for Tas being an island an all that. Plus they have had loads of praise on this forum. Our quote was £3095.00 for 552 cubic feet shared container.

So how long has your house been going through then? Ours has been 3 weeks since the offer was accepted.

Kerry
So has ours, 3 weeks yesterday!!!!!!!

Crown do seem the best and like you we are taking about half a container load, we are pretty minimal ( well i like to think we are!!) i'm going to a car boot sale to get rid of the remaining stuff. What have they said in respect of how long, as it's a shared load??

God I hope you don't mind all my questions!! any info is really appreciated
Zoe x
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

So has ours, 3 weeks yesterday!!!!!!!

Crown do seem the best and like you we are taking about half a container load, we are pretty minimal ( well i like to think we are!!) i'm going to a car boot sale to get rid of the remaining stuff. What have they said in respect of how long, as it's a shared load??

God I hope you don't mind all my questions!! any info is really appreciated
Zoe x
Thats ok

They said about 8-9 weeks to ship stuff out.

I really must go and do some housework now been on here ages!! Do keep in touch its good to speak to someone who is at the same stage as us and is going to Tas at roughly the same time!

Speak to you soon
Kerry
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats ok

They said about 8-9 weeks to ship stuff out.

I really must go and do some housework now been on here ages!! Do keep in touch its good to speak to someone who is at the same stage as us and is going to Tas at roughly the same time!

Speak to you soon
Kerry
Just had the same thought,and the 1 yr old is annoyed at me typing away!!

Bye,

Zoe :-)
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jerzo

Just been checking out different flights. Found that it might be nicer to break up the journey a bit. You can fly with emirates to Dubai 7hours stay there a night then go onto Singapore 7 hours stay there a night or so then go onto Hobart connecting at melbourne that is 14 hours including connecting time so all in all I think that will be the option we will be going for. Plus never been to Dubai so would be interesting to see it.

Kerry
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Tasmania??

Hi Jerzo

Just been checking out different flights. Found that it might be nicer to break up the journey a bit. You can fly with emirates to Dubai 7hours stay there a night then go onto Singapore 7 hours stay there a night or so then go onto Hobart connecting at melbourne that is 14 hours including connecting time so all in all I think that will be the option we will be going for. Plus never been to Dubai so would be interesting to see it.

Kerry
Hi Kerry,

We are going to Sydney for 4 days to see my Uncle & family and do the tourist things!! we might never leave Tasmania once we get there
( my irrational thinking!) and then on to Hobart, would'nt it be fab if flights could be booked now?? there are 6 of us and i'm panicking that they won't sit us together, although that may not be all bad!! I know i'll be left with super lungs anyway!! He'll be 18 months old just the right age for a mid -air tantrum, well I can't get off can I!!

I just filled in the basic Crown removal form and it seems as if i've got loads of stuff,it's the boys' toys mostly so i'm going to have to be ruthless and sell them

I had a fab PM from Mashy and she advised me of where to avoid, massive bonus on our search through realestate.com which is now our evening entertainment!! (tragic I know) .

Cheers
Zo
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Kerry,

We are going to Sydney for 4 days to see my Uncle & family and do the tourist things!! we might never leave Tasmania once we get there
( my irrational thinking!) and then on to Hobart, would'nt it be fab if flights could be booked now?? there are 6 of us and i'm panicking that they won't sit us together, although that may not be all bad!! I know i'll be left with super lungs anyway!! He'll be 18 months old just the right age for a mid -air tantrum, well I can't get off can I!!

I just filled in the basic Crown removal form and it seems as if i've got loads of stuff,it's the boys' toys mostly so i'm going to have to be ruthless and sell them

I had a fab PM from Mashy and she advised me of where to avoid, massive bonus on our search through realestate.com which is now our evening entertainment!! (tragic I know) .

Cheers
Zo
You'll be fine. Take plenty of stuff to keep him occupied or distracted from throwing a wobbly. Our littlun was hard work to keep occupied, you've got 3 others to keep him occupied so you should be fine. Take sweeties to bribe him too, I know they say you shouldn't do that but at desperate times needs must and all that!!

Duncan has an Aunt and Uncle in Melbourne so could be paying them a visit on the way through.

Kerry
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi all

Have just returned from our all too brief holiday in Oz and WOW!!
We spent a week on tas a nd loved it apart from our arrival in Hobart when it was cold and dark and we got lost!
We stayed at Launceston, then drove over to St Helens and Bay of Fires (wow again) saw our first echidna at St Columba Falls. Then 2 days at Freycinet National park, which was just heaven on earth, went sea kayaking, ate the most fantastic food. Then over to Hobart for 3 days, went on a boat trip, visited to Tahune Air Walk, went up Mt Welington, where there was snow and ice and lots of fog. Did Salamanca Market and ate lots more food!
Also had a meeting with 2 ladies from Tas government who had lots of helpful tips and who we will keep in touch with.
After leaving Tas, we were sure it was for us but we then visited SA which we also liked so alot will depend on the job situation when the time comes.
Will put some piccies on when I've downloaded them from camera (only got back last night) and when I've worked out how to put them on here
Sammy
Sounds fab, can't wait to see your pics!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bishop3912
Sounds fab, can't wait to see your pics!
I've put some of them on another thread " Piccies from our whizz round Oz!" Can't believe we are home already, when I look at the photos I feel I am still there!

Sammy
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Geminikade is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Nat,

Is your OH still with Hays? Sent an email to the addy here, but got bounced.

Cheers!
Geminikade

Originally Posted by natty
can i just say that when referring to food, I didnt mean the restaurants or the cheeses etc- they are without a doubt far better than the UK and its true that you can find good produce in some places but i meant in the supermarkets

If you buy veg and fruit it only lasts a day or so and often i can't even get what i want as it looks gone off in the shop.

An example is that i tried to buy a punnet of cherry tomatoes and every single box was fully of moudly tomatoes- i went and told the shop assistant but the next day they were still there !!

Asparagus is often all withered where it should have been thrown away weeks ago, the onions are full of black bits- i could go on !!!!

I do try and get veg and fruit elsewhere but it just bugs me that they think they can put food out in such a state and expect people to pay for it- also my weekly shopping bill here ( for 2 people) is $160 - which is approx £70 I guess and i only used to spend about £60 in the UK and our wages were a lot higher so that makes it realtively much much more expensive

sorry rant over !!!

oh and I also love Mures- yummo - the seafood here is gorgeous- sadly i am pregnant so dont get to enjoy it as much now !!

Nat xx

Last edited by Geminikade; Jun 18th 2007 at 2:45 pm. Reason: Nat's OH is with Hays, not Nat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.