Tasmania??

Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:51 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Beth, Singapore Airlines keep coming up the cheapest when we look - no matter what month / date we're putting in at the moment. Strange as last year Emirates were cheaper but they're not this year. When we flew to Tas in November we flew with Virgin Blue from Perth to Melbourne - and then coming back from Sydney to Perth - those flights were quite reasonable.
I dont know how it works with your double luggage allowance though - you might want to enquire as i was under the impression that the smaller airlines dont allow it for internal flights... We cant get double allowance ourselves because we've already validated. We were considering buying a car in Melbourne and getting the ferry over from Melbourne but we'll see how we feel about all that nearer to our time of going...
Hi Beth and A,
Another option which could work out cheaper than the excess baggage is see if anyone on expats wants to go halve's ona trip to Melbourne and to fly back at same time as you!!!! They get a trip to Melbourne and you get your luggage back to Tassie and a help carrying your luggage!!!!
Could be worth a try, If someone was doing this to Launceston its something I would consider.
But if this does not happen uses virgin blue staff have more scope than Jetstar.
Regards
Gary Vikky and Bump
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:58 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hi Beth and A,
Another option which could work out cheaper than the excess baggage is see if anyone on expats wants to go halve's ona trip to Melbourne and to fly back at same time as you!!!! They get a trip to Melbourne and you get your luggage back to Tassie and a help carrying your luggage!!!!
Could be worth a try, If someone was doing this to Launceston its something I would consider.
But if this does not happen uses virgin blue staff have more scope than Jetstar.
Regards
Gary Vikky and Bump
I have heard that one company flying Mel - Hobart do sting you big time if you have DBA so trying to figure out which one it was to avoid them!!!
Beth x x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:06 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Hi Beth, Singapore Airlines keep coming up the cheapest when we look - no matter what month / date we're putting in at the moment. Strange as last year Emirates were cheaper but they're not this year. When we flew to Tas in November we flew with Virgin Blue from Perth to Melbourne - and then coming back from Sydney to Perth - those flights were quite reasonable.
I dont know how it works with your double luggage allowance though - you might want to enquire as i was under the impression that the smaller airlines dont allow it for internal flights... We cant get double allowance ourselves because we've already validated. We were considering buying a car in Melbourne and getting the ferry over from Melbourne but we'll see how we feel about all that nearer to our time of going...
Hi Cathy,
Just a little question when you say you are looking at getting a car is this a hire car or buying your car over in Melbourne? As if you buy your car in Melbourne you will have to reregister it in Tassie so this could make the cost a lot more. So if this is what your looking into have a good look I would say this would cost more.
Gary Vikky and Bump
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hi Cathy,
Just a little question when you say you are looking at getting a car is this a hire car or buying your car over in Melbourne? As if you buy your car in Melbourne you will have to reregister it in Tassie so this could make the cost a lot more. So if this is what your looking into have a good look I would say this would cost more.
Gary Vikky and Bump
hi Gary, we're not sure at the moment - only considered it due to the fact that there'd be more choice of cars in Melbourne....but like you say it would depend on what we decide to buy and whether it does work out more expensive. Chances are we'll just get a run-around for a bit - so we may just buy a 2nd hand car in Tas and make do with a hire-car once we arrive in Hobart for a week or so...
The OH wont know how much he's allowed to spend on a car until we sell the house and work out our finances! In the meantime he keeps looking up loads of cars i already know he isnt going to get!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:18 am
AKA - Drop Bear

Tassie Bear has a spectacular aura aboutTassie Bear has a spectacular aura aboutTassie Bear has a spectacular aura about

hi Gary, we're not sure at the moment - only considered it due to the fact that there'd be more choice of cars in Melbourne....but like you say it would depend on what we decide to buy and whether it does work out more expensive. Chances are we'll just get a run-around for a bit - so we may just buy a 2nd hand car in Tas and make do with a hire-car once we arrive in Hobart for a week or so...
The OH wont know how much he's allowed to spend on a car until we sell the house and work out our finances! In the meantime he keeps looking up loads of cars i already know he isnt going to get!
2 Sites worth looking at gives you an idea of what you can get here in Tas
http://www.carsales.com.au
http://www.tassiecars.com.au/
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
I have heard that one company flying Mel - Hobart do sting you big time if you have DBA so trying to figure out which one it was to avoid them!!!
Beth x x
You'd be easy to spot at Hobart airport anyway 2 adults, 4 kids, 12 suitcases, 6 hand-luggage bags....and stretched arms! Dont envy you there - but good if you can get your double allowance... apparently when you do book your flights i've read you need to get the double allowance confirmed on an Email so that you've something in writing as your ticket will say only 20kg - and it's been known apparently for check-in staff to refuse the double allowance without paperwork to prove it was granted.

We're planning on bringing our 80kgs allowance with us - 4 handluggage bags and a buggy! We took 63kg in November and had loads of stuff with us really...the extra stuff for us will be some paperwork/and bits and bobs i cant face putting in the container!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:25 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be easy to spot at Hobart airport anyway 2 adults, 4 kids, 12 suitcases, 6 hand-luggage bags....and stretched arms! Dont envy you there - but good if you can get your double allowance... apparently when you do book your flights i've read you need to get the double allowance confirmed on an Email so that you've something in writing as your ticket will say only 20kg - and it's been known apparently for check-in staff to refuse the double allowance without paperwork to prove it was granted.

We're planning on bringing our 80kgs allowance with us - 4 handluggage bags and a buggy! We took 63kg in November and had loads of stuff with us really...the extra stuff for us will be some paperwork/and bits and bobs i cant face putting in the container!
Yeah....12 suitcases, 6 hand luggage, 1 laptop, 1 violin and 1 cornet
Here come the Waltons.....PMSL
Beth x x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tassie Bear
2 Sites worth looking at gives you an idea of what you can get here in Tas
http://www.carsales.com.au
http://www.tassiecars.com.au/
Hi Tassie Bear - thanks for those links. I know Andy has been on the tassiecars one - that was the one he was on when i saw him looking at cars for loads of money!!!! He can dream!
I'll show him the other link this evening - no doubt he'll be straight on there!

When did you guys sell your cars here in the UK? We're not sure whether to sell ours just before we go (and hope that it sells) - or a month before we go....or take it to an auction? We only got it 6months ago (renault scenic) - and although we know we wont get what we paid for it - we dont want to lose loads of money on it by virtually giving it away!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:37 am
AKA - Drop Bear

Tassie Bear has a spectacular aura aboutTassie Bear has a spectacular aura aboutTassie Bear has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: Tasmania??

Hi Tassie Bear - thanks for those links. I know Andy has been on the tassiecars one - that was the one he was on when i saw him looking at cars for loads of money!!!! He can dream!
I'll show him the other link this evening - no doubt he'll be straight on there!

When did you guys sell your cars here in the UK? We're not sure whether to sell ours just before we go (and hope that it sells) - or a month before we go....or take it to an auction? We only got it 6months ago (renault scenic) - and although we know we wont get what we paid for it - we dont want to lose loads of money on it by virtually giving it away!
Sold our Car a week before we came out back to the same dealer as it was the easiest thing...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah....12 suitcases, 6 hand luggage, 1 laptop, 1 violin and 1 cornet
Here come the Waltons.....PMSL
Beth x x
Well there was an Elizabeth Walton i do recall ! Not sure if your Andrew would want to referred to as John Boy though!
We felt like crap after our flight just to Perth - Jared was 11 months old at the time - and although we paid for a seat for him - he spent most of the flight either on me or Andy - or thankfully asleep! When he was eating though most of it went on us - so i was very glad we packed a clean t-shirt each in our handluggage bags! Otherwise we'd have looked like we'd been sicked on with the mixture of drinks and food!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tassie Bear
Sold our Car a week before we came out back to the same dealer as it was the easiest thing...
We were thinking of that as a possibility as well.... If you dont mind me asking - did you get a good deal or did the dealer take advantage of the fact you were leaving ?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:43 am
Make it happen!!!!

Well there was an Elizabeth Walton i do recall ! Not sure if your Andrew would want to referred to as John Boy though!
We felt like crap after our flight just to Perth - Jared was 11 months old at the time - and although we paid for a seat for him - he spent most of the flight either on me or Andy - or thankfully asleep! When he was eating though most of it went on us - so i was very glad we packed a clean t-shirt each in our handluggage bags! Otherwise we'd have looked like we'd been sicked on with the mixture of drinks and food!
My name is Elizabeth but everyone calls me Beth
Not looking forward to the flights....but hey at the mo I just want to be there!!!
Beth x x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

My name is Elizabeth but everyone calls me Beth
Not looking forward to the flights....but hey at the mo I just want to be there!!!
Beth x x
I thought it was and that you shortened it...
I'm actually Cathryn - but everyone's called me Cathy since i was about 18 and it's kind of stuck now!
Longhaul flights are never as bad as you anticipate them to be. As your kids are a bit older you'll probably get to sleep a bit more than we did. When Jared slept Eden was awake - so it just didn't work out for us, but we have done longhauls' plenty of times and generally they're ok. You always feel better if you drink plenty of fluids (but not too much alcohol as it's very dehydrating) and get up and wander about the plane as much as possible.
Andy is 6ft 2inch tall and he's always well cramped with his legs...so he tries to get up as much as possible. I find the loo's a bit claustrophobic - so he generally gets the joy of taking Eden to the loo - or changing Jared's bum!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:54 am
Make it happen!!!!

I thought it was and that you shortened it...
I'm actually Cathryn - but everyone's called me Cathy since i was about 18 and it's kind of stuck now!
Longhaul flights are never as bad as you anticipate them to be. As your kids are a bit older you'll probably get to sleep a bit more than we did. When Jared slept Eden was awake - so it just didn't work out for us, but we have done longhauls' plenty of times and generally they're ok. You always feel better if you drink plenty of fluids (but not too much alcohol as it's very dehydrating) and get up and wander about the plane as much as possible.
Andy is 6ft 2inch tall and he's always well cramped with his legs...so he tries to get up as much as possible. I find the loo's a bit claustrophobic - so he generally gets the joy of taking Eden to the loo - or changing Jared's bum!
Elizabeth and Cathryn.......hey we sound posh!!!!
We don't drink a lot so won't be drinking alcohol on the flights. I do like a nice cup of tea though
Beth x x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth and Cathryn.......hey we sound posh!!!!
We don't drink a lot so won't be drinking alcohol on the flights. I do like a nice cup of tea though
Beth x x
It does doesn't it - maybe we should use our full names when we land in Tas!
I never drink on planes, always make me feel really rough.....Andy does like a couple of beers though...especially as they're included in the cost of your flight - he likes to get his moneys worth!
I dont drink any hot drinks (yep i'm weird before you say it! )....no tea or coffee for me! I'm afraid i'm a diet coke addict!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.