Tasmania

Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by MicheleandBarry
Hi Mashy,
Can i be nosy(am a woman its my job!!) and ask what your skilled independent jobs are?
I am a cook,and my partner at the mo is a firefighter training as a plumber.
looking as though we will put in for the 136,although still gettin head around all the visa info,would be grateful for any advice or info,
Cheers x

Michelle,

I laughed when I read 'my partner at the mo is a firefighter' Are you thinking of changing your current partner and bringing another man to Tas? LOL

We've been in Tassie for 9 months and really like living here. It has been tough, leaving family, arriving in winter, settling the kids, starting a new job, finding a rental ( especially with a dog!), eventually buying a place and having to move the kids to a new school, but we are starting to become settled and are really enjoying ourselves and realising that we have made the right decision.

I am a plumber and was sponsored by the Tas government which meant we were granted our 137 visa quicker than if we had continued on the 136 route. The people at the Tas government were so friendly and helpful...a real pleasure to deal with. I managed to get a job after 7 days and was offered 2 other interviews and another plumbing job about 6 weeks later.
I also know a couple who arrived in Hobart from Luton and he managed to get a job after about 10 -14 days. There certainly seems to be no shortage of work for plumbers/gasfitters, esp[ecially as the natural gas project continues.

I would suggest that you check out the state sponsored 137 visa if you are keen to live in Tassie and your occupation is included in the SOL. It could really cut down the processing time.

Good luck, Peter
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:20 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

Originally Posted by WEBBS
Michelle,

I laughed when I read 'my partner at the mo is a firefighter' Are you thinking of changing your current partner and bringing another man to Tas? LOL

We've been in Tassie for 9 months and really like living here. It has been tough, leaving family, arriving in winter, settling the kids, starting a new job, finding a rental ( especially with a dog!), eventually buying a place and having to move the kids to a new school, but we are starting to become settled and are really enjoying ourselves and realising that we have made the right decision.

I am a plumber and was sponsored by the Tas government which meant we were granted our 137 visa quicker than if we had continued on the 136 route. The people at the Tas government were so friendly and helpful...a real pleasure to deal with. I managed to get a job after 7 days and was offered 2 other interviews and another plumbing job about 6 weeks later.
I also know a couple who arrived in Hobart from Luton and he managed to get a job after about 10 -14 days. There certainly seems to be no shortage of work for plumbers/gasfitters, esp[ecially as the natural gas project continues.

I would suggest that you check out the state sponsored 137 visa if you are keen to live in Tassie and your occupation is included in the SOL. It could really cut down the processing time.

Good luck, Peter
Hi Peter!
Thankyou so much for your reply!
Not gonna swop my guy for another,took me ages to find someone as nuts as i am in the first place....!Plus i will need him to carry all the suitcases!We just got back from Edinburgh for wkd,told his mum and dad about going for Tasmania,they were on websites soon as lookin at houses work etc,so no worries there.Barry started his plumbing training originally looking at victoria,but we have since fell in love with Tas,although he would love to be a volunteer firefighter when we get there(plus i want him to keep the uniform!!),i am a cook all be it with no formals so getting that sorted too.Will definitly look at the 137 tho thanks for that,and you settled my mind a bit about the job situ too,really nice to hear from someone who actually done it and is thereand enjoying it,must have been crazy with kids and a dog!cant even begin to imagine, But good on ya,how is Launceston? we are looking at that end of the island,but hey all off it looks good i dont mind,
Sorry if am babbling like a nutter but fired up again after his mum and dad being so supportive!Thanks again for advice off to look at 137!
Bestest regards
Michele
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:26 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MicheleandBarry
Hi Peter!
Thankyou so much for your reply!
Not gonna swop my guy for another,took me ages to find someone as nuts as i am in the first place....!Plus i will need him to carry all the suitcases!We just got back from Edinburgh for wkd,told his mum and dad about going for Tasmania,they were on websites soon as lookin at houses work etc,so no worries there.Barry started his plumbing training originally looking at victoria,but we have since fell in love with Tas,although he would love to be a volunteer firefighter when we get there(plus i want him to keep the uniform!!),i am a cook all be it with no formals so getting that sorted too.Will definitly look at the 137 tho thanks for that,and you settled my mind a bit about the job situ too,really nice to hear from someone who actually done it and is thereand enjoying it,must have been crazy with kids and a dog!cant even begin to imagine, But good on ya,how is Launceston? we are looking at that end of the island,but hey all off it looks good i dont mind,
Sorry if am babbling like a nutter but fired up again after his mum and dad being so supportive!Thanks again for advice off to look at 137!
Bestest regards
Michele
Hi just wanted to wish loads of luck Michelle, its great that you've got parents support that can be a big help

Keep us updated on your progress.

Possoms
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:48 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Three Legs
What do people do in Tazzie ? .

Ohhh Don't start me!! Hours of fun to be had in Tazzie, discovering the bush,...

Last edited by A dogs life; Feb 21st 2006 at 10:52 am.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:50 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Cos I loved it & would give my right arm to move down there & Dagboy won't even consider it .

Last I heard he loved studying Tazzie.

Are things going downhill Mrs D?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by WEBBS
Definitely look at booking flights via the internet before you get here, www.virginblue.com.au have flights on 24/05 for $69 each,one way. I know you haven't got an exact date but this gives you a good idea! I think it will cost you more if you book it at the airport or get your UK travel agent to organise it.
I was on duty at work a couple of weeks ago and the temperature alarm on the gas pipe was showing 46.95 C in Bridgewater,which is about 20k's north of Hobart centre. Pretty hot!

Whats the weather like with you?
Hi Peter

We've booked our validation trip but ermmm we are going to Brisbane to validate , just found a really good package stopping in Penang for 8 nights on route. Will only be in Brisbane 6 days though so cant see us getting down to Tas

Fingers crossed the trip will turn into the real thing as we have had 2 viewers in the last week or so????

Kay
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:31 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi just wanted to wish loads of luck Michelle, its great that you've got parents support that can be a big help

Keep us updated on your progress.

Possoms
Ah cheers Possums,
Still cant get over how many nice people are on here!! And really glad as well that we are all going to the same country! Yeah it was so nice his mum and dad are so for it,think they are just as excited if not more than us,bless em,but has fired us up more,
how is you gettin on?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

jateai will become famous soon enough

Does anyone living in/ moving to Tasmania know the Glenorchy area of Hobart? We are looking at moving to this area end of 2006 beginning of 2007.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:11 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Photos of South West Tasmania.
www.wises.com.au/swt2.htm
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:55 am
Just Joined

claireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by coffeebean
anyone in or heading for Tasmania
hey coffeebean - & anyone else reading
i've been living in somerset on the north coast of tasmania for 18 months after moving from somerset in england.
i'm new to 'british expats' and would also love to hear from any brits that have settled in tasmania, particularly in the north west, or are planning to.
hi to all
claireyloo
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:49 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claireyloo
i've been living in somerset on the north coast of tasmania for 18 months after moving from somerset in england.
i'm new to 'british expats' and would also love to hear from any brits that have settled in tasmania, particularly in the north west, or are planning to.
hi to all
claireyloo
Hi,

We`re hoping to be out there later this year. We aren`t too sure where we will end up. We are touring for a few weeks and will decide where we want to live when we weight the work situation up. How have you settled and what work do you do?

Sharon
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:24 am
hch
Forum Regular

hch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to allhch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jateai
Does anyone living in/ moving to Tasmania know the Glenorchy area of Hobart? We are looking at moving to this area end of 2006 beginning of 2007.
Hi,
why are you heading for Glenorchy ? I do no of the area my partner works there from what we have been told there are nicer areas to live in Hobart,
Harry.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

hi to all
claireyloo
Hello Claireyloo,

Are you the girl that works in the the ladies fashion, gift shop in Burnie...with the oz boyfriend.

We were staying with my uncle and aunt at Henrietta near Yolla for a couple of months last April. We moved to a rental in Spreyton and then bought a house in Trevallyn, Launceston in November.
My aunt works in the 'craft' shop in Somerset from time to time..drop by sometime and say hello, here name is Kate!

Cheers, Peter
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi Peter

We've booked our validation trip but ermmm we are going to Brisbane to validate , just found a really good package stopping in Penang for 8 nights on route. Will only be in Brisbane 6 days though so cant see us getting down to Tas

Fingers crossed the trip will turn into the real thing as we have had 2 viewers in the last week or so????

Kay
No worries Kay. I'd noticed that you were thinking of validating in Queensland. Sounds like a good idea to me. Hopefully one of your viewers will buy your place soon and allow you and Colin the chance to do what you have planned. We're looking forward to meeting you both.

Good luck and best wishes, Peter
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:36 am

hi to all
claireyloo
Hi Claireyloo

Great to hear from another Taswegian How are you finding it out there?? do you like it?

We have our visas and are hopefully going to live around the Hobart area, just trying to sell the house which has been a nightmare.

Keep in touch with us

Possoms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.