Tasmania???

Old Jan 14th 2005, 8:56 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tasmania???

Hi was just wondering what's the general opinion of Tasmania from people on the mainland??
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:04 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tasmania???

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi was just wondering what's the general opinion of Tasmania from people on the mainland??

Probably the coolest area in Oz ( as in temperature ) but supposed to be one of the most beautiful areas to.
Just ask Polly once she sobers up, she loves Tassie.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
Probably the coolest area in Oz ( as in temperature ) but supposed to be one of the most beautiful areas to.
Just ask Polly once she sobers up, she loves Tassie.
Hi

yes i know Polly loves the place but i wondered in general what the feeling of the place is on the mainland Tas always seems to be the but of a lot of jokes ie interbreeding etc. do mainlanders see Tas as part of Oz or as a seperate country??

Kay
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:31 pm
wombat42

They say its the state that most resembles the Uk, similar cool climate, green
countryside. It has a scenic coastline, mountains and great rivers, snows in
some parts during winter. It has the cleanist least polluted air in the world, they sell bottles of Tasmanian air to the Japanese. The water in most of the rivers is clean enough to drink. Many great national Parks for bushwalking.
You can buy a large fantastic house much cheaper then the mainland, someone said you can sell a one bedroom flat in inner Sydney and buy a small mansion in Tasmania, However in the last 5 years real estate prices in Tasmania have been rising as more people from the mainland have been moving down there to retire. The only downside to Tasmania is the small population means less job prospects then the mainland and some people may find it a bit isolated or boring if you like large cities.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 14th 2005 at 9:42 pm.

Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
They say its the state that most resembles the Uk, similar cool climate, green
countryside. It has a scenic coastline, mountains and great rivers, snows in
some parts during winter. It has the cleanist least polluted air in the world, they sell bottles of Tasmanian air to the Japanese. The water in most of the rivers is clean enough to drink. Its sort of like Britain before the pollution from the industrial revolution wrecked the environment.
You can buy a large fantastic house much cheaper then the mainland, someone said you can sell a one bedroom flat in inner Sydney and buy a mansion in Tasmania, Howver in the last 5 years real estate prices in Tasmania have been rising as more people from the mainland have been moving down there to retire. The only downside to Tasmania is the small population means less job prospects then the mainland and some people may find it a bit isolated or boring if you like large cities.
Hi thanks for replying. We have visited on holiday and have chosen Tas for STNI only route we can get in on really.

Yes the scenery is beautiful and I can understand the isolation although we currently live in the peak district so used to that, but saying that i felt very isolated when we stayed in a suburb of Perth last year there was nothing but the housing estate and a small shopping centre no scenery artificial lakes around the place etc nearest pub was a 20 min drive away.

Hobart seemed pretty vibrant and not that small.

I was more interested in how the place is viewed being seperated from the mainland like does it get forgotten.

Kay
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:53 pm
wombat42

Hi thanks for replying. We have visited on holiday and have chosen Tas for STNI only route we can get in on really.

Yes the scenery is beautiful and I can understand the isolation although we currently live in the peak district so used to that, but saying that i felt very isolated when we stayed in a suburb of Perth last year there was nothing but the housing estate and a small shopping centre no scenery artificial lakes around the place etc nearest pub was a 20 min drive away.

Hobart seemed pretty vibrant and not that small.

I was more interested in how the place is viewed being seperated from the mainland like does it get forgotten.

Kay
If you like living down there l would'nt care less what people on the mainland think. Most people on the mainland have a view of it as an ideal holiday destination,with great senery most people who have not been there would like to go there. People joke about Tasmanians being inbred and having two heads, being Hillbillies, this was probably worsened by the Port Arthur massacre when a lunatic shot dead 35 people the worlds worse mass murder,
But these things also happen on the mainland and Tasmania has Australia lowest crime rate.