tasmania

Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

paton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question tasmania

hello everybody!
my fiancee and i are (hopefully!) moving to tasmania in 2005 - if all goes well. we are teachers , and apparently they need us!
can anyone tell me more about the place (ive read all the books but it would be nice to hear from someone there)? also about their attitude to domestic cats - ive heard that they don't like them - killing unwanted kittens etc!
any comments about the place would be nice, or anything generally about oz.
im very excited about going as the uk is getting me down, can;t wait for a new life!
thanks

Last edited by paton; Sep 14th 2003 at 5:24 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:02 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tasmania

Originally posted by paton
hello everybody!
my fiancee and i are (hopefully!) moving to tasmania in 2005 - if all goes well. we are techers , and apparently they need us!
can anyone tell me more about the place (ive read all the books but it would be nice to hear from someone there)? also about their attitude to domestic cats - ive heard that they don't like them - killing unwanted kittens etc!
any comments about the place would be nice, or anything generally about oz.
im very excited about going as the uk is getting me down, can;t wait for a new life!
thanks

The only thing I know about Tasmania is the map I have. Don't think it would be of any use to you tho!

V
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Hi Paton
Try website www.themercury.news.com.au which will give you a Tassie newspaper.You can read all about daily goings on etc and there are are links to other things too. Do check the weather it is not all wall to wall sunshine and at different seasons of the year you might think you were almost back home!!!!On average I think it looks as though the weather is better than here in Yorkshire though this summer takes some beating!!!!!I recall there is a weather link on the Mercury site under Tassie web links on the left hand side of the webpage. Yes snow frost and ice in the winter in some places but Tassie is for us too hopefully mid 2004 Launceston area.We are in the wharfe dale valley area of Yorkshire please don't ask precisely where cos I am nervous about giving out locations over the internet. Us older folks worry about things like that! We hope to retire to Tassie and we too are unhappy with things here. Cheers Oldgit
Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:23 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Vee
The only thing I know about Tasmania is the map I have. Don't think it would be of any use to you tho!

V
Well I don't want to see your map of Tassie here as my fiancee already has one. But she wants me to pay a visit soon.

badgers

Old Sep 12th 2003, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was born and bred in tassy, so know a bit about the place, although haven't lived there for the past 12 years, except for the odd trip back home to see the family, who incidentally have all bailed out and now live on the Gold Coast, which makes our life easier. That last bit to Tassy after a flight from the UK was a real killer!. Anyway. Tasmania is a very beautiful place, although you will find that there is not much difference to the weather than here in the UK. It gets very cold in the winter (I remember the days when I had to scrape the ice of the windscreen before going to work - not much different to here really), and yes it does snow,but mainly up on higher ground. The summers are quite pleasant though. It doesn't get quite as hot as the mainland, but comortable.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

pjr55 will become famous soon enough

I live in Tasmania, what would you like to know?
Old Sep 13th 2003, 3:57 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
Well I don't want to see your map of Tassie here as my fiancee already has one. But she wants me to pay a visit soon.

badgers

I hear there is good seafood. Watch out for the haddock pie.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future
Default Cats in Australia/Tasmania

Hi Paton,
Lots of people love cats in Oz too (including me!)

There's a good website at www.Cat-World.com.au which gives you loads of general advice about keeping cats as pets in Australia. Also look at the "Burke's Backyard" website (it's a TV show about gardening/pets etc.)at www.BurkesBackyard.com.au

The main problem is the effect of domestic cats on the local wildlife and also of cats becoming ferral and breeding which makes them unpopular with a lot of people.
I have heard that in the future you may not be allowed to allow your cat to roam free outside your property.I keep my present cat indoors and I still have to rescue the odd lizard and gecko that manages to get in through the edges of the screens!( He is good at killing the spiders and cockroaches though!)
You can get outdoor enclosures which they have information on these websites.Hope this is of some help!

I visited Tasmania about 10 years ago on holiday and so I can't give you much advice.I remember the scenery being spectacular especially on the west coast.I also liked the design of the old houses-traditional timber with verandahs.Another good thing about moving to Tasmania is that the house prices don't seem to be too high and the cost of living is supposed to be good.
Good luck ,Mary
Old Sep 14th 2003, 8:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who is the hardest Tassie Devil or Cat

In a battle who do you think would win out of the tassie dust devil or the satan's evil moggie?
Old Sep 14th 2003, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

my fiancee and i are (hopefully!) moving to tasmania in 2005 - if all goes well. we are techers ,

priceless!!

cheers

richard