Reload this Page >

Tasks on a visa validation visit

Tasks on a visa validation visit

Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

lemm76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tasks on a visa validation visit

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any views on what practical tasks I can achieve during a visit to Australia to validate my visa.

I was wondering whether is was possible to:
Take driving test (WA)
Get Tax number
Register with medicare.

I assume all of these require an address, which I wont have - is it possible to setup a PO box? Is it worth bothering with these tasks?

I also intend to:-
Visit employment agencies (i may take my CV into a few)
Visit estate agents
Visit suberbs to try an ascertain a feel for the areas
Visit shops and price up furniture, tvs, white goods etc to evaluate what it is worth shipping.

I would appreciate any opinions on the above and other tasks which I can achieve during my visit.

I was hoping not to have to have this visit before moving permenantly but due to the death of my father I have delayed my move. I therefore want to make the most of my visit, as well as enjoying exploring Perth and the surrounding areas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Lemm76
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:06 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasks on a visa validation visit

Originally posted by lemm76
I was wondering whether is was possible to:
Take driving test (WA)
Get Tax number
Register with medicare.

I assume all of these require an address, which I wont have - is it possible to setup a PO box? Is it worth bothering with these tasks?

I also intend to:-
Visit employment agencies (i may take my CV into a few)
Visit estate agents
Visit suberbs to try an ascertain a feel for the areas
Visit shops and price up furniture, tvs, white goods etc to evaluate what it is worth shipping.
Sorry about you dad...

I think a validation trip is a great idea, to suss things out. It can change a lot (or at least your view of the place, see the thread something like 'just back from trip to Perth'

Those first 3 things you mention, I don't think it's really necessary, because they are quite easy to arrange when you actually move, I think.
But hopefully someone else can say a bit more that stuff and doing it earlier.

Other things are a good idea.
Remember to adapt you CV/resume to Ozzie format, I think there's a bit of a difference. See www.seek.com.au for examples/tips etc.

Well, bump this to the top, and see if some people with experience with this kind of trip reply!

Good luck with everything, and have fun!
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lemm

Sorry to hear about your dad

We went to validate in December last year due to our house sale taking forever (now sold!)

The stuff you mention we are going to do when we arrive, I did check where I would need to go for my electricians license and prices of things in the shopping malls are a good guide, although the internet sites have good prices too.

We have 2 children so spent at least 2 weeks of our 4 weeks on the beach and other attractions to keep them happy, but we still managed to clock up 6000km in the car.
The car we hired had sat. nav. which was a great help.
We went to many areas and did not rule any out so even more research needed there.
A good estate agent can be very informative about an area but some are just full of bullshite. We had one tell us about bore water coming from some exotic island even the owner looked surprised.
Get a UBD map.
Talk to the locals they are so friendly and will tell it as it is.

Have a good trip and enjoy

Terry