Tas for kids?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tas for kids?

Hi again, I'm after more info. All I seem to do is ask questions, maybe one day I'll be to help someone else with theirs!
Anyway, back to the point, does anyone have experience of taking their kids to Tasmania. It is still our favourite at the moment (although we are going to Expo at w/e and if we feel jobs are thin on the ground there we will have to re think) but I was wondering what is like for children to live on a island. My children are 8 and 10 so I'm not too worried about now but what about when they are teenagers - is there plenty to do, are there good sports facilities, cinemas, leisure centres etc. Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about the education system?
As always, all info appreciated.
Bye from chilly Somerset, have just walked the dog and came back with very rosy cheeks from the wind
Sammy
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

melaniepittam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tas for kids?

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi again, I'm after more info. All I seem to do is ask questions, maybe one day I'll be to help someone else with theirs!
Anyway, back to the point, does anyone have experience of taking their kids to Tasmania. It is still our favourite at the moment (although we are going to Expo at w/e and if we feel jobs are thin on the ground there we will have to re think) but I was wondering what is like for children to live on a island. My children are 8 and 10 so I'm not too worried about now but what about when they are teenagers - is there plenty to do, are there good sports facilities, cinemas, leisure centres etc. Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about the education system?
Bye from chilly Somerset, have just walked the dog and came back with very rosy cheeks from the wind
Sammy
Hi Sammy,

Our kids are 10 (Anna) & 8 (Sam) too.

I also have been looking at Tas, something keeps drawing me to it. Not sure about the weather in winter though (for us).

Other half is a chippie.

Look forward to seeing what comes up on the thread.

Melanie
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:32 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Tasmania is a wonderfull place for everyone(But don't tell everybody!!!)
There is a cinema in Launceston with a mighty 4 Screens!!!!
http://www.villagecinemas.com.au/cinema/cinema_3552.htm
But I think you will find your kids would probably do more outdoor things which in Tasmania there is lots to do! Even things like Kyaking also Skiing in the winter months.
Search on Discover Tasmania to see more about the place. Its certainly A LOVELY PLACE BUT MAYBE A BIT QUITE FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE.
If we get our visa it is were we are moving to!!!!
Good luck,
Gary and Vikky
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mind quiet for us, thats partly what appeals to us in the first place but I'm still not sure if in 5 years we'll have 2 whinging young people on our hands saying "I'm bored, why do we have to live here!"
I know what you mean about the weather, Melanie, but we ahve spent ages looking at the weather in other areas of OZ and they would be too hot for us, although I really like the look of the Fleurieu Pensinsula in SA but still think we would suffer in the heat. Which brings us back to Tas, which looks spot on for us (except the rain).
We are hoping to go for a holiday to suss it out but can't decide on when to go and where to go. OH is still longing for NZ and I'd also like to look at SA but we can't really afford more than two weeks and would probably have to go during summer hols when weather may not be so great for getting out and about.
Decsions, decisions
Gary and Vicky - where are you heading to, I assume you've been before so where are your favourite bits?
Sammy
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Don't mind quiet for us, thats partly what appeals to us in the first place but I'm still not sure if in 5 years we'll have 2 whinging young people on our hands saying "I'm bored, why do we have to live here!"
I know what you mean about the weather, Melanie, but we ahve spent ages looking at the weather in other areas of OZ and they would be too hot for us, although I really like the look of the Fleurieu Pensinsula in SA but still think we would suffer in the heat. Which brings us back to Tas, which looks spot on for us (except the rain).
We are hoping to go for a holiday to suss it out but can't decide on when to go and where to go. OH is still longing for NZ and I'd also like to look at SA but we can't really afford more than two weeks and would probably have to go during summer hols when weather may not be so great for getting out and about.
Decsions, decisions
Gary and Vicky - where are you heading to, I assume you've been before so where are your favourite bits?
Sammy
I know where you are coming from with all your quandries. It's a nightmare isn't it. I really fancy Tas but other half wants warmer. It's so difficult to judge until you've been there a whole year.

We are going for a 2 week reccie to Brisbane in May, but I am worried about the heat too.

Melanie
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you also considering Brisbane then? We just can't make up our minds and as you say until you've had a full year and all of the seasons you don't really know. My OH is dragging his feet at the moment, he likes to think about things for a long time before he gets on with anything (includes the jobs around the house too!) but I feel that if we think about the whole process, the cost, upheaval, etc for too long we'll never do anything.
We are off to Expo in London this w/e so I'm hoping that might be enough to get him moving as we need to do our job assessments before we can then get on with applying for visas, so I'm chomping at the bit to get on with it
Sammy
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Tasmania is a wonderfull place for everyone(But don't tell everybody!!!)
There is a cinema in Launceston with a mighty 4 Screens!!!!
http://www.villagecinemas.com.au/cinema/cinema_3552.htm
But I think you will find your kids would probably do more outdoor things which in Tasmania there is lots to do! Even things like Kyaking also Skiing in the winter months.
Search on Discover Tasmania to see more about the place. Its certainly A LOVELY PLACE BUT MAYBE A BIT QUITE FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE.
If we get our visa it is were we are moving to!!!!
Good luck,
Gary and Vikky
how far along is your visa app, Gary?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sammy
Hi Sammy,

We arrived in Tas last October and we have two girls aged 8 and 10 and they LOVE IT here
They hated school in the UK and love it here, they have made loads of friends and they are also getting into outdoor activities. My eldest has just competed in a kids tri-athlon and really enjoyed herself. We spend loads of time at the beach and going walking and have a fantastic time overall.
It also helps that we`ve made some fantastic friends here

Sharon
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Sharon.
That sounds just great, my daughter likes sport already and my son does not, apart from Tae Kown Do which he loves!
Have been busy getting paperwork together tonight but keep finding things we haven't got! Lots to do!!!!!
Sammy
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sharon.
That sounds just great, my daughter likes sport already and my son does not, apart from Tae Kown Do which he loves!
Have been busy getting paperwork together tonight but keep finding things we haven't got! Lots to do!!!!!
Sammy
Hi Sammy, Sharon and everyone else,

Taz sounds great, so i'll be watching this thread with interest.

I bet i will be wishing we had put Taz on our reccie itinerary by tomorrow (too late now) doh!!!!

Melanie
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by melaniepittam
Hi Sammy, Sharon and everyone else,

Taz sounds great, so i'll be watching this thread with interest.

I bet i will be wishing we had put Taz on our reccie itinerary by tomorrow (too late now) doh!!!!

Melanie

Whenever you find the time to visit Tassie, it`ll be worth it
It really is Australia`s best kept secret
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Thanks Sharon.
Sammy

Never mind about having lots to do, there`ll be plenty of time to chill out when you get here
Your son could perhaps do his Tae Kwon Do on the beach whilst your daughter is swimming in the sea (and you can read a good book and soak up the sun)
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:39 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Hey we need to stop this thread before the island gets took over!!!
It's such a wonderfull place hope we get our visa soon so we can start planning our move to Tasmania.
Gary and Vikky
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:42 am
Karoola!!!!!!

Hey have a look at this page,
This has got some good links for Tassie.
http://www.direct-uk.net/uk.directuk...h/web/Tasmania
Gary and Vikky