Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TapWater , Down Under : how drinkable ?

TapWater , Down Under : how drinkable ?

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:38 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: TapWater , Down Under : how drinkable ?

Come to Mount Gambier

All our water is pumped up out of the lake, filtered though nothing more than a mesh, a little cl is added then its gravity fed down to the town.

Thats what they tell us anyway...
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light

It smells a bot earthy, if I am drinking water then I always filter it.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by storerg
It smells a bot earthy, if I am drinking water then I always filter it.
whenever and wherever i've been in oz, i've drank the tap water, apart from Broome the tap water there was disgusting, we used to boil it then put it in the fridge
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:45 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I always drink tap water in Brisbane, albeit from the fridge. The only time I buy bottled water is either when I need a bottle to fill with tap water, or when I am out and I have no water on me, and no access to a tap.

The water in Toowoomba, however, tastes really funny, and I used to feel a bit sick after a visit there.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:35 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
I refuse to drink tap water,no matter where I am
You lived in Wales and didn't drink tap water

Why?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
Up in NW EUroLand where we live now , on maybe 2-3 days a year
( maximum ) it might taste/smell ever-so-slightly slightly over-chlorinated , otherwise it's fine - so using bottled water for drinking/cooking is entirely uncalled for ;
how good is the tapwater , where you live , in Oz ?
Its fine here, sometimes i can taste the cholrine.
My washing is a lot softer, in UK i would have to use a softner, here i use it, but dont have to.
Denise
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:21 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

We always drink spring water, never tap. Bleach and rat poison? no ta.

Anywhere west of the great divide the water is not only not fit to drink, its barely fit to shower under...unless you particularly like the smell of sulphur......ah the smell of the "Great" Australian Basin
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:37 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
You lived in Wales and didn't drink tap water

Why?
We had a leak in the back garden...turns out it was a drinking water pipe that burts,if you would have seen the state of the pipe you wouldn't drink it either,gungy and filthy.So since then me and the kids drink from bottled water.Actually we had the water analysed at the Uni and it was fine,just the thought of drinking water running through shite and into your gob.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:10 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

The water smells really chlorinated here. My hair is very dry after washing in it for 2 months, so am using double the amount of conditioner.

I tend not to drink the tap water here though. I was in Sydney 8 years ago when they had a big water "crisis" There was 2 or 3 nasty bugs in the water, and the pipes that were pulled up from some Sydney suburbs were gross, and there were problems with bats around the reserviors. Rationally I know its perfectly safe now, but cant bring myself to drink it. Washing and cooking with it is no problem though.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:43 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Melbourne apparently has the best tap water in Australia. Adelaide I wouldn't go near, Sydney is ok I think but no idea about the other cities.
I hope so, I'm drinking 3 litres of it a day at the moment!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:12 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
We had a leak in the back garden...turns out it was a drinking water pipe that burts,if you would have seen the state of the pipe you wouldn't drink it either,gungy and filthy.So since then me and the kids drink from bottled water.Actually we had the water analysed at the Uni and it was fine,just the thought of drinking water running through shite and into your gob.
Bit of gunge never did anyone any harm

Seriously though, isn't bottled water something like 2 years old? There was some report on it recently saying how bad it is for the enviro and that it's old or something
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:25 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Seriously though, isn't bottled water something like 2 years old? There was some report on it recently saying how bad it is for the enviro and that it's old or something
lol...very good
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:51 am
Banned

kite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the rough

We use rain water off the roof. Collect so much you could swim in it.

But DONT look in it. Found half a rat and a HUGE huntsman (which is still there) at the bottom.

Keep drinking or go thirsty! -

Funny how they don`t like drinking POO water but survived 2 years backpacking in Europe and didn`t even know.

Mate said Uk water was brown and hot........... he probably was given tea alot!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We drank the tap water when we were there and it was fine. We did notice that it tasted slightly different in different places though.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:16 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah I forgot about the parasite problem for a good few months in our water in N.Wales that killed a few..kind of puts you off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.