Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tank or town water??

Wikiposts

tank or town water??

Old Jul 6th 2003, 3:53 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Surely if it's tank water it's not chlorinated anyway, only mains water is chlorinated and I'm not sure if that is the case in Brisbane anyway.

I'm a townie and I like me running water to come from the mains.
You have it easy, take a poo, flush and forget!

"Tank", or rain, water refers to runoff from a foor collected in a tank. So long as the roof is clean tank water does not need chlorination. Natural sedimentation removes much of the impurities. Check that frogs, mossies, leaf litter etc can not get in. Most are fitted with screens for that purpose.

Septic tank water (biotreated waste water) should/must be chlorinated before being discharged above ground. Usually the system has a biodigester, a chlorinator (swimming pool "trichlor"), and a chlorinated waste tank from which the water is pumped, usually at night when the wind is at a minimum.

Old Jul 6th 2003, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

karenmck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tank or town water??

[Hi Wendy
I am on tank water in a Brisbane suburb and have had no problems what-so-ever with it. If it gets low (only very occassionally) we have water delivered. We are a family of six so as you can imagine we use a lot of water.
Karen
Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many people had small tanks for the garden but since the recent drought, city councils have encouraged people on town water to get tanks and offer a rebate. Some people use their septic water that has been cleaned on site for watering the yard. This costs to set up, but if you are on tank water you cherish every drop and save in the end.

You will learn that water is precious. Many people (although technically illegal) run their laundry water straight out the laundry window and onto trees and bushes. I know a few people who have set up a downstairs toilet to flush using water from an upstairs shower which is stored in a small tank. Most councils have water meters so people try to save where they can. Many councils have no "free threshhold" any more so you start paying for town water at the first litre. Rain is free.