Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Talking $$$$ - Dentists???

Talking $$$$ - Dentists???

Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:48 am
Merlot

Default Talking $$$$ - Dentists???

OK boring one but there could be someone out there to advise?.

I need to get a crown here in Oz and been quoted AUS$930 plus the AUS$263 already spent. Coming back to the UK to live in March 2004 - should I get it done there????? Is it cheaper??????

Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:27 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

If you can get it done on the NHS, I'd say yes. But you'd get the bog standard treatment.
If you're going private, you're looking at at least £200 for a crown (basic model - flash porcelain ones cost more) and plus you'll have to pay for initial visit, x-rays, blah blah blah.
Still, it might be worth it financially, but only by a little bit - maybe not enough to wait a year for.
I'm no expert by any means, but I've been looking into it a bit lately.

W.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:28 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Talking $$$$ - Dentists???

Originally posted by Merlot

I need to get a crown here in Oz and been quoted AUS$930 plus the AUS$263 already spent. Coming back to the UK to live in March 2004 - should I get it done there????? Is it cheaper??????
Take your pick:
Google search results: dentist crown price site:.uk
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:41 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Dunno about a crown, but my dad had a root canal done a few months back and that cost £250.

A mate had 3 wisdoms out and that cost £480.

Expensive business these teeth....
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:26 pm
Quiet one in the corner

kendra1 is on a distinguished road

I work in a NHS dentist the current price of a standard NHS crown is about 88.00. and anything up to 400.00 for a private one
Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Matt & Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

Merlot,

I have had a quote from a Dentist here in Perth, for 1 crown (little one at that!) and 2 re fills of fillings!! $2045.00

Its cheaper for me to fly back to the UK, which I am in April next for a visit and get the work done for £136 on the good old NHS.

Thats what I intend to do.

Jo x
Old Sep 10th 2003, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Bloody hell Jo....

I've just fainted..............

That is totally obscene. I'm scared to go the dentist now - should have had them all out & dentures put in whilst in UK!!

Old Sep 10th 2003, 2:07 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Don't know about crowns, but hubby here in Aus had a root canal done a couple of years back (one root.. it would have been more if it was two roots)it came to just under a $1000, around $800 and something I think it was... I've had a filling that was around $500 (white filling).

Dentists here are pretty expensive.

If you can get it done on the NHS.. of course it will be a lot cheaper there in Britain.

Cheers ... white toothy smile..lol
Old Sep 10th 2003, 7:19 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Most Uk dentisits have now dropped NHS patients as quote by my dentist "we can no longer offer a consistent level of service with regards to NHS patients, you'll ahve to join an annual scheme, blah, blah.......".

Find your local NHS drop in Dentist (every county has one or more) - these places are brillaint - I just had all my work done and it cost me less than £100, and the level of care beats my old private practice hands down.......I didn't join a private annual scheme because we're off to NZ next month, thus I wasn't eligible....

good luck, regards, Rich.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

am i the only one who can see the irony of people leaving england complaining of oversretched pisspoor nhs partly due to foreigners coming over here and blagging off the nhs?

cheers

richard
Old Sep 10th 2003, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

people in uk really take nhs for granted! i work for nhs and my partner is also an nhs dentist and it def cheaper to get stuff done over here in the uk!

sounds like Oz is gonna go be good 4 us!
Old Sep 10th 2003, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. The NHS is not perfect, but it is far from being the worst healthcare system in the world!

I will be having my teeth checked out before I go to Oz!!
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

wouldnt you be coverd under your health care plan ??
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Originally posted by Matt & Jo
Merlot,

I have had a quote from a Dentist here in Perth, for 1 crown (little one at that!) and 2 re fills of fillings!! $2045.00

Its cheaper for me to fly back to the UK, which I am in April next for a visit and get the work done for £136 on the good old NHS.

Thats what I intend to do.

Jo x

Hi Jo

I hope you are still registerd with an NHS dentist or you'll have serious trouble finding one. You may be better off going to an emergency dentist and asking the local Health Authority to find you an NHS dentist . In Dorset an NHS Dentist is rarer than rocking horse sh*t. My dentist recently moved to Denplan and he won't even give me free NHS treatment while I am pregnant, And I worked there for 4 years.

Jo (also)
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:53 am
Merlot

Completley amazed by your responses to a subject I thought would be dull. I did laugh too about how the NHS is slated but it is the best in the world.

We did have private insurance until my hubby was made redundant and keeping a roof over our heads and eating took priority! Things have not improved much over the last couple of years thanks to selfish landlords (selling each time under or noses) and rather poor local employment where we live.

I came here in 1997 on holiday and met my husband (British Born Aussie). Never intended to leave England but needs must at the time. I want to come home and I don't want to abuse the health system either, just weighing up the options.

I suppose I should get something back from the UK for working full time from leaving school to coming to OZ (paid my stamp)where I have done the same here but gone backwards in the standard of living rather than forwards.

Australia is a wonderful place but not all that glitters is gold. Good luck to those coming over to live here and to those of us coming back to England.