Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Talk about the "Nanny State"...where will it stop?

Talk about the "Nanny State"...where will it stop?

Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Talk about the "Nanny State"...where will it stop?

Originally Posted by xxdebsonlinexx
Whilst im all for healthy eating id like to know who gave anyone the right to tell someone what they should or shouldnt eat.

Its not up to anyone else to tell someone how to feed their kids. They can be advised as to what they think they should be eating but deffo not be told what their child should or shouldnt eat.
In this particular case it is the Parents who are paying the fees to the school in question, who have the right to make and break the rules, or make the point with the wallet if they don't like it. I am sure the school would change if the parents complained.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In this particular case it is the Parents who are paying the fees to the school in question, who have the right to make and break the rules, or make the point with the wallet if they don't like it. I am sure the school would change if the parents complained.
The school where my youngest goes to (uk) they have a morning snack (fruit) but it has to be paid for by the parents and if you dont pay they dont get it. They charge a £1 aweek not alot is it but they dont get a choice so if they dont like the fruit they dont get any anyway.

Debs xxx
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdebsonlinexx
Whilst im all for healthy eating id like to know who gave anyone the right to tell someone what they should or shouldnt eat.

Its not up to anyone else to tell someone how to feed their kids. They can be advised as to what they think they should be eating but deffo not be told what their child should or shouldnt eat.

Debs xxx
Its all part of the litigious culture we live in. Everyone, schools, governments, big business, is scared of being sued. In America McDonalds is fighting loads of claims that they made people fat (Hello? Did they force you to eat it?)

This is just the next step. In ten years it'll be like the drunk trying to order a beer, "sorry mate, you've had enough". Fat bloke waddles up to the checkout with 10 bags of nachos, "sorry mate, only fruit and veg for you".

It IS the nanny state, but its lawyers, and people trying to get money for their own personal weaknesses thats the problem. You shouldn't be able to get money if you get fat from eating what you know is fat! I think the labelling on food now is fine, if they really want, I suppose stick a few health warnings on really fatty foods (a la cigarettes).

Schools are being pro-active at least,

Cheers,
JTL

But jeez, the idea of getting money just for being to undisciplined really gets my goat.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:40 am
Merlot

Bring in Jamie Oliver to kick ass!

Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And its all very well telling the kids to watch what they eat.....I went to one of these incessant "morning teas" at work last week. there were SIX large, stodgy, chocolate covered, cakes, and lots of those Lamington things (don't like coconut!), and a couple of plain cakes - again large and stodgy looking, the usual fare for that department. Ten people there, I had a small slice to be polite, but the rest were like locusts........plates cleared, smiles all round. Then they all went off for LUNCH!!!!
And I should add.....five of them are parents of school-age kids, to my knowledge. .
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:47 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And its all very well telling the kids to watch what they eat.....I went to one of these incessant "morning teas" at work last week. there were SIX large, stodgy, chocolate covered, cakes, and lots of those Lamington things (don't like coconut!), and a couple of plain cakes - again large and stodgy looking, the usual fare for that department. Ten people there, I had a small slice to be polite, but the rest were like locusts........plates cleared, smiles all round. Then they all went off for LUNCH!!!!
And I should add.....five of them are parents of school-age kids, to my knowledge. .
This happens back over here in the UK too, I forgot about the famous Aussie morning tea things. Yes watch them kilo's come on.

I have to say our eating habits were a lot better in Australia than the UK, we have slipped badly.

M

Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:52 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It IS the nanny state, but its lawyers, and people trying to get money for their own personal weaknesses thats the problem. You shouldn't be able to get money if you get fat from eating what you know is fat! I think the labelling on food now is fine, if they really want, I suppose stick a few health warnings on really fatty foods (a la cigarettes).
Bang on. Here at least, food is labelled up with enough detail for you to make your own mind up. If you choose to eat crap food and get fat, then deal with it. More and more it seems that solicitors are on the gravy train with this kind of thing but the elected government let them get away with it too.

Back to the point, I agree that schools should actively encourage the kids to train their parents into feeding them properly. I can imagine it's really difficult to persuade kids with all the ads for sweets and burgers during kids TV programs but ultimately parents have to make what they belive to be the right choice. Teachers taking food off kids would not help IMO.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:49 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Bring in Jamie Oliver to kick ass!

Have seen loads of adverts for Jamie Olivers new show over here.