Tales of the huntsman...

Wikiposts

Tales of the huntsman...

Old May 13th 2004, 5:12 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ulujain
Nothing like waking up and seeing eight long and thin hairy legs camped on the wall above you.
Especially when you're the gal who shagged the back four
Old May 13th 2004, 5:25 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tales of the huntsman...

Originally posted by jeff hardy
Whoa! Back up the truck there bub. No-one said anything to me about jumping! That's it, I'm withdrawing my application!:scared:
In general, members of the huntsman family of spiders This article is about the spider, the animal. For other article subjects named spider see Spider (disambiguation).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Araneae (spiders)
Long-jawed orb weaver, Family: Tetragnathidae.
Genus: Tetragnatha. ()
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class: Arachnida
Order:
..... Click the link for more information. are not regarded as dangerous. That being said, there are reports of members of the genus Neosparassus (formerly called Olios) giving bites that have caused prolonged pain, inflammation, headache, vomiting, and irregular pulse rate. It is unclear under what circumstances these spiders bite people, but it is known that female members of this family are quite brave in defending their egg sacs and their young. They are fairly large spiders and they make a readily apparent threat display when their nests are threatened. Ordinarily members of this family run away from humans with great celerity, but if someone were to ignore a mother spider's threat display then they might get bitten. These spiders can move at extremely high speeds for their size, and a human who had become accustomed to the relatively slow responses of other spiders might tease a spider and then be unable to escape its attack. The eyesight of these spiders is not nearly as good as that of the Salticidae
Jumping spiders
Jumping spider
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class: Arachnida
Order: Araneae
Family: Salticidae The jumping spiders (Salticidae) are a family of spiders containing more than 4,000 species. The one pictured (Paraphidippus aurantius) is native to North Carolina and is about ¼ inch (.5 cm) long.
..... Click the link for more information. (jumping spiders), and it is possible that a huntsman spider might misidentify a human's finger as a tempting caterpiller, rush over, and bite it by mistake. These spiders are not adverse to entering automobiles and houses, so many humans have noticed them. They are large as well as being extremely fast, and, besides that, they can run on surfaces such as glass window panes, walls, and ceilings, and may remain on those surfaces for long periods of time searching for prey. Therefore it is more than a little likely that they will quickly draw attention to themselves whenever they happen to enter areas frequented by people. Fortunately for humans, however, they are generally good neighbors and they are avid hunters of detested insect pests such as cockroaches.
Old May 13th 2004, 5:39 am
Just Joined

robinvanboxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tales of the huntsman...

Originally posted by DollyDaydream
For pity sake, warn a girl next time before posting something so hideous! I nearly had a pink fit seeing those boogly eyes looking at me.

This got me thinking, how on earth do you kill them? (TEE HEE!)

DD
Hi there from one who is truly terrified of spiders!! My hubby and I are on the way to oz, and last xmas went and stayed with the inlaws whilst we searched around areas we would like to settle in. We went to look at a property about 20 mins inland with bush all around. The house was lovely and after the viewing we left, I went out the door first, and looked back when i heard a huge scream and (something i cant repeat) from the realestate lady My husband trying to look composed came legging it out straight after, saying get in the car ill tell you later. Apparently hubby looked up as they were leaving and above the door was something that he thought was an ornament, strange place to hang a spider he thought, then it moved!! By all accounts it was the size of a dinner plate, however this could be just like a fishing story!!! so im not sure. But ive never seen my other half move so fast and he isnt (supposedly) afraid of them. We later enquired and we were told it was probably a huntsman. By all accounts its the little ones that you have to be careful of. Either way im not going to be getting the book out to check, its curtains for any spiders i meet!
Old May 13th 2004, 5:47 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah us guys are just sooooo brave when it comes to huntsmen.
Old May 13th 2004, 6:41 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Yeah us guys are just sooooo brave when it comes to huntsmen.
Forget the Huntsmen, the cone shells are worth worrying about
Old May 14th 2004, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Better get used to the kids bringing them home to play with

(Pupils at New Lynn Primary School, West Auckland handling a live Avondale Spider - an Australian Huntsman spider established in the Avondale region of Auckland since the 1920s)
Attached Thumbnails Tales of the huntsman...-spider1.jpg  
Old May 14th 2004, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know a good way of getting over spider phobias? I have a real problem with them yet I know they do oooodles of good and eat mossies and other pests. I don't want to kill them, just don't really want to freak if I see them in my bedroom! Holding them is a definite no-no!!!
Old May 14th 2004, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

trying to type one handed with toddler asleep on lap, so please excuse lack of punctuation etc.
Systematic desensitisation is a good way of dealing with spider phobias.
You already know that the spider concerned does some good. Graduallly get used to looking at small photos, then larger, more detailed ones.
If possible, try to arrange your first huntsman encouter - e.g. visit a zoo? Move closer, you can draw back if you want. Unfortnately in aus you may suddenly see a spider.... if you do, withdraw until you feel ready and nudge closer. Keep working at it and you should get used to them. I just hope you don't have too close an encounter too soon!
Best wishes
Larissa
Old May 14th 2004, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

maybe I'll start with the little spiders we get here...then hopefully I'll be ready for the 'big ones' in February!
Old May 14th 2004, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should find out all you can about the little ones, which can be poisonous, e.g. redbacks. There are lots of old threads, plus you'll see that the dangers are actually quite small and avoidable.
Try searches on spiders if you have the time.
Old May 14th 2004, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

We saw a redback when we were out in Perth the other year. It was just sat on its web and not bothering anyone. I know it's silly but it's the big ones that worry me more!!!! Yet I believe it's the small ones that are dangerous...obviously something wrong with my brain!
Old May 14th 2004, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

HI
Can we please have some kind of warning when showing pictures/photos of spiders. I hate scrolling down, seeing "it" staring at me and feeling like i'll either throw up or pass out!!! Yes, I do have it very badly!!!
KayCee
:scared:
Old May 14th 2004, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Oh dear, what are we like?! We'll have all the Australians laughing at us whinging poms!
Old May 16th 2004, 9:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

A huntsman is now living in the petrol cap cover on my car. I tried dislodging him but he just hid in the hinge. I am now wondering when he is going to jump on me whilst driving.
Old May 16th 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
A huntsman is now living in the petrol cap cover on my car. I tried dislodging him but he just hid in the hinge. I am now wondering when he is going to jump on me whilst driving.
If he can get from there into the passenger compartment I'd be more worried about burning to death in the event of an accident! Mind you, I guess that's one way to get rid of huntsmen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.