Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tales of the huntsman...

Wikiposts

Tales of the huntsman...

Old May 12th 2004, 9:52 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

If you live anywhere even remotely rural (and in most of the cities too), spiders are part of daily life. We had redbacks in the dunnies, whitetails in the woodpile, wolf spiders on the verandah and huntsmen in the living room. We had one particular huntsman who lived in the eaves in our living room - he had a leg span the size of a big outstretched hand. He would spend all day up in the eaves and then at about 7pm, he'd come down the wall to eye-level for an hour or so then go back up. I loved him! Huntsmen aren't dangerous.

I got bitten by a white tail - I've mentioned it many times in other spider threads. Formed a nice ulcer but I lived to tell the tail!

Most spiders are shy and retiring critters. Leave them alone and they won't bother you.
Old May 12th 2004, 9:58 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tales of the huntsman...

Originally posted by Sunlover
You spray them with fly spray which makes them jump off the wall and run towards you. Than while they are running towards you you whack the hell out of them with a fly swatter..... works every time.

ENCOURAGE them to run towards you????

Are you COMPLETELY insane???:scared:
Old May 12th 2004, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get yourselves one of these :http://www.spidercatcher.com.au/faq.html

I was sent one by a friend in Sydney when we arrived (being famously arachnophobic) and have proudly dealt with our ownly huntsman with it.
Cant help thinking they'd make a terrible mess if you tried to squash them, they're so big and meaty looking:scared:
Old May 12th 2004, 10:30 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
Get yourselves one of these :http://www.spidercatcher.com.au/faq.html

I was sent one by a friend in Sydney when we arrived (being famously arachnophobic) and have proudly dealt with our ownly huntsman with it.
Cant help thinking they'd make a terrible mess if you tried to squash them, they're so big and meaty looking:scared:
I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An aussie mate of mine (another fellow arachnophobe) always told me to keep a good supply of telephone directories to lob at them Apparently tho...the only downer to that style of spider disposal is that I'm told they leave a bit of a bluey gungy mess :x

Can anyone comfirm this??...no pics of squashed spiders tho please!! I've not long had my brekkie
Old May 12th 2004, 10:32 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by artep
I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An aussie mate of mine (another fellow arachnophobe) always told me to keep a good supply of telephone directories to lob at them Apparently tho...the only downer to that style of spider disposal is that I'm told they leave a bit of a bluey gungy mess :x

Can anyone comfirm this??...no pics of squashed spiders tho please!! I've not long had my brekkie
Why squish 'em if they're not doing you any harm? Fair enough to squish the ones that could kill you, but leave the others alone!
Old May 12th 2004, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

Only had the one so far Petra, but he was a big meaty looking thing, it would've been like trying to squash a mouse (and dont forget they jump if you miss!). The spider catcher comes with a little plastic spider to practice on so by the time you meet the real thing its easy and nothing can get out, it doesnt kill it either so you just dump it far away from you and it can carry on eating mossies.
Best pressie I ever had!
Old May 12th 2004, 10:40 pm
....is FAB

Think one of them spider catcher thingys are gonna be a 'must have'.

Bundy - I wouldn't kill a huntsman....I hate cockies even more!!!

I'll quite happily share my house with a huntsman or 2 if they're gonna eat the other nasties!! Not sure I'd be too impressed waking up beside one tho
Old May 12th 2004, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Not as many as I thought, only seen one in 3 months so far, and 2 cockroaches, having said that I use a LOT of surface spray
Old May 12th 2004, 10:49 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by artep
Think one of them spider catcher thingys are gonna be a 'must have'.

Bundy - I wouldn't kill a huntsman....I hate cockies even more!!!

I'll quite happily share my house with a huntsman or 2 if they're gonna eat the other nasties!! Not sure I'd be too impressed waking up beside one tho

Glad to hear it! I continue to champion huntsmen's rights! Not too keen on cockies myself, so I can understand that one.

I woke up with a white tail scuttling across my face once which gave me a fright, esp after the biting incident! I miss our huntsmen though
Old May 12th 2004, 11:16 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

[aren't dangerous.

I got bitten by a white tail - I've mentioned it many times in other spider threads. Formed a nice ulcer but I lived to tell the tail!

Most spiders are shy and retiring critters. Leave them alone and they won't bother you. [/QUOTE]

Who was that who got bit by a whitetail spider a few weeks ago? i have done a search but nothing came up...
Old May 12th 2004, 11:19 pm
She's a bird, you know

It was Loopy...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=bitten
Old May 12th 2004, 11:33 pm
She's a bird, you know

All about the Huntsman...

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheet...an_spiders.htm

And jumping spiders...

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/

Wolf Spiders

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/wolf_spiders.htm

White tails

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheet...led_spider.htm

And the rest!

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/
Old May 12th 2004, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tales of the huntsman...

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
loadsa huntsman in Brissy, even the baby ones are good little jumpers !!!
Whoa! Back up the truck there bub. No-one said anything to me about jumping! That's it, I'm withdrawing my application!:scared:
Old May 12th 2004, 11:37 pm
She's a bird, you know

And what to do about the common ones...

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/spiders.htm
Old May 13th 2004, 3:01 am
....is FAB

Originally posted by bundy
I woke up with a white tail scuttling across my face once which gave me a fright, esp after the biting incident!

:scared: :scared: :scared: I'm afraid that would have totally freaked me for quite some time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.