Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking your pets

Taking your pets

Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

OZERJON is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking your pets

Could anyone advise me on a reliable company to assist in taking our 2 dogs to australia. We are hopping to be making the move later this year. Does the Pet Agent make the reservation for quarantine or is it something we have to book direct. I am really concerned about how my pets will cope with the travel and i am looking to take the same flights as my pet. Does anyone know how soon you can visit your pets whilst they are in quarantine?

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:44 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your pets

Originally Posted by OZERJON
Could anyone advise me on a reliable company to assist in taking our 2 dogs to australia. We are hopping to be making the move later this year. Does the Pet Agent make the reservation for quarantine or is it something we have to book direct. I am really concerned about how my pets will cope with the travel and i am looking to take the same flights as my pet. Does anyone know how soon you can visit your pets whilst they are in quarantine?

Thanks
I can recommend a great Scottish company, but obviously, if you're not in Scotland it won't be of use.

Try not to worry about it too much. My 2 beloved cats made the trip in July 2007 and were happy and healthy on arrival.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:34 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon, you will find quite a few threads on this subject if you do a search. I didn't move mine from the UK so can't recommend an agent, but my 3 cats did the month in quarantine; they are the most highly-strung kits on the planet and they did ok.

Rather than being on the same flight as them, I would consider the timing in terms of what's happening at the other end.

For example, we sent ours off before we packed up in Singapore, so they were out of the way and not getting too stressed by it all, but we left it as late as possible so that we got our shipping delivered and all their familiar things installed before we picked them up from the Q station. Easier for us than you, I know, as ours was only 3 weeks, but worth bearing things like this in mind.

The Q stations generally have set days and times for visits. Ours arrived before us and we visited the first day we could after our own arrival, but then went up a couple of times in the following weeks.

Some people say it's better to go once and let your animals know you have not abandoned them completely, but then not to go again until you pick them up or they repeatedly feel abandoned every time you leave them. I still think we did the right thing for ours, especially as my baby girl wouldn't let the handlers touch her at all.

Best of luck with it all. The short-term stress we and our pets go through is worth the outcome.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:28 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We flew two dogs over to Sydney. We used Airpets they have a website which explains everything. They sorted the import permits and booked quarantine. The only thing you will have to do is sort there blood tests out. We visited our dogs a week after they landed but I'm sure you can see them before that but they like you to give them time to settle.
I agree with Seasider about visiting as it is very hard on both you and your pets when its time to leave, We had to go in as much as possible as our two refused to eat.
Good luck with your move as stressful as it is moving animals so far it is worth it in the end, Cooper and Kymba are now very happy and settled.

Last edited by MarkMC; Mar 17th 2009 at 12:37 am.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Thanks
We used ParAir in October 2007 to bring our dog and cat out. We had lots of concerns about bringing our 6 year old golden retriever because he was so terrified of storms but everything went very smoothly and he coped okay. Our pets went into quarantine in Sydney but we were unable to visit because we came to Brisbane but think it was for the best. Parair also gave us contacts for arranging the flight bringing them up from Sydney to Brisbane. They were used to going into kennels whilst we went on holidays so think that helped a lot. Both my pets have settled fantastically - it was such a fantastic feeling when we got them back from quarantine and definitely think it helped us settle quicker. Good luck.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

We used Ryslip from the UK, and Dogtainers to Brisbane. Both were utterly fantastic.

Ryslip did the whole thing from start to finish, import permits, booking quarantine etc. They couldn't book Dogtainers as this can only happen when you have your "parole" date for the pets - and theoretically that could vary if the animal becomes ill while in quarantine.

We brought two cats with us, they seemed to cope with the flights well, and the only side effect is that after I went to Melbourne last week for 3 days they won't leave me alone now........tabby shadows everywhere I move in the house
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

James_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really nice

Thanks
Golden Arrow Shippers - do not be put off by the fact that they do not have a website or seem a bit old fashion.....they are amazing and have all the information you will need...they have visited all the quarantine stations here in Aus and know the staff etc....I am sure the other companies are also great, but at least have a chat with the guys at Golden Arrow.

They helped us bring over our dog and could not have been more helpful.

Good luck.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

poppyjasper is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Golden Arrow too. Would highly recommend them
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by poppyjasper
We used Golden Arrow too. Would highly recommend them
We used them too, highly recommended.
Tracie
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
Lots of threads on here to help. Ryslip as one poster has mentioned are good, we are using Overhills www.overhills.co.uk would suggest you giving a few a ring and seeing who you like the sound of best. They will do it all for you, arrange flights/quarantine etc and tell you when and what jabs/bloods you need to have done.

Ours fly in about 2 weeks and currently waiting for blood results to come back

If your dogs annual booster is due just remember NOT to have the Lepto part of the jab as this can affect outcome of one of the blood tests.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:42 pm
Banned

bishop007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, i'm doing some research on moving my dog too. Just trying to get an idea on prices and companies etc. Please post your experiences after the move if you can, it would be a great help I'm not moving till later, but I like to read up on things way before hand.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

janette eley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Even though we moved from from Scotland I used air supply in Staines MiddlesexE mail is www.airsupplyshipping.com.
it can be a tricky affair with a lot of paperwork air supply took us through every stage whilst were a lot cheaper than others.
a good tip, make sure your Vet you use for all inoculations is prroperly registered as it isn't always the case,
Good luck.
Jim Eley.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

binnz10 will become famous soon enoughbinnz10 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
We used them too, highly recommended.
Tracie
Us too, they were great.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:46 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bishop007
Please post your experiences after the move if you can, it would be a great help
After the move.....

Quarantine was not easy for us or the dogs. To start with they did not eat, they growled at the carer (She was great though), they would not let anyone near them. Luckily the carer was persistent, and within 3 days she was their best pal. They still didn't eat though. We put this down to them being fussy buggers. We visited twice a week to bring them "human food", they would not touch the dog food. I guess that is our fault for home cooking for them after the first one had a bad reaction to dry dog food???? Anyhow they are back with us now. The first few weeks were hard, they did not leave our sides, and hated it when we had to go out. They are used to it now and worth every bit of stress. They are very happy and get a lot more exercise now, including weekly visit to the beach. The youngest loves to swim.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

KarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant futureKarenBK has a brilliant future

Thanks
Hi Ozerjon - just answering you on the question of how soon you can visit your pets whilst they are in quarantine. I'm not sure which station you are referring to (probably Sydney - apologies if you did mention in the thread) but with all 3 in Australia you can visit after 24 hours. In Melbourne and Perth, you can walk them as soon as the AQIS vet has seen them and again this is normally 24 hours. In Sydney (after AQIS vet too), it is a week before you can walk or arrange for them to be walked - you are however able to visit them up to 4 times a week during this first week. Don't think it is worth me listing them all here but PM me if you would like me to give you opening / visiting hours for any of the quarantine stations. We work there which is how I know. Very best wishes for your and your dog's move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.